Re: [new_distillers] Re: $5 !

  • Austin Smith
    Message 1 of 10 , May 4 10:50 AM
      If you're in the States, you're looking at 5 years Federal time at a minimum. You better hope that the individual you're selling to doesn't get in some kind of trouble himself. When they ask what he can give them, he'll most definitely give them you.

    • txbajabill
      Message 2 of 10 , May 4 4:38 PM
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Austin Smith" <asmith1@b...>
        wrote:
        > If you're in the States, you're looking at 5 years Federal time at
        a minimum. You better hope that the individual you're selling to
        doesn't get in some kind of trouble himself. When they ask what he
        can give them, he'll most definitely give them you.

        http://www.atf.gov/alcohol/info/faq/genalcohol.htm#g1

        "Withdraws, [1] uses, sells, or otherwise disposes of distilled
        spirits produced under section 5181 for other than fuel use; shall be
        fined not more than $10,000, or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or
        both, for each such offense."

        "Whenever any person engaged in or carrying on the business of a
        distiller defrauds, attempts to defraud, or engages in such business
        with intent to defraud the United States of the tax on the spirits
        distilled by him, or of any part thereof, he shall be fined not more
        than $10,000, or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both. No
        discontinuance or nolle prosequi of any prosecution under this
        section shall be allowed without the permission in writing of the
        Attorney General"

        So, that's not more than $10,000 and not more than 5 years for two
        crimes (illicit distillation and tax fraud), plus penalties for
        violating state laws.

        Sucks huh. Especially considering it's legal to make the alcohol in
        the form of beer or wine, but not legal to simply purify it. Archaic
        laws of an antiquated penal code. Ain't the U.S.A great! LAND OF THE
        FREE! (I love my country, don't get me wrong, though the government
        could use a little work)
      • waljaco
        Message 3 of 10 , May 4 6:54 PM
          If you start selling your homemade beer, wine or jam for that matter
          without paying tax, see what happens!
          Some laws cannot be enforced - such as distilling for personal use
          only.
          wal
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "txbajabill" <txbajabill@y...>
          wrote:
          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Austin Smith"
          <asmith1@b...>
          > wrote:
          > > If you're in the States, you're looking at 5 years Federal time
          at
          > a minimum. You better hope that the individual you're selling to
          > doesn't get in some kind of trouble himself. When they ask what he
          > can give them, he'll most definitely give them you.

          > http://www.atf.gov/alcohol/info/faq/genalcohol.htm#g1
          >
          > http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/26/5601.html
          >
          > "Withdraws, [1] uses, sells, or otherwise disposes of distilled
          > spirits produced under section 5181 for other than fuel use; shall
          be
          > fined not more than $10,000, or imprisoned not more than 5 years,
          or
          > both, for each such offense."
          >
          > http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/26/5602.html
          >
          > "Whenever any person engaged in or carrying on the business of a
          > distiller defrauds, attempts to defraud, or engages in such
          business
          > with intent to defraud the United States of the tax on the spirits
          > distilled by him, or of any part thereof, he shall be fined not
          more
          > than $10,000, or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both. No
          > discontinuance or nolle prosequi of any prosecution under this
          > section shall be allowed without the permission in writing of the
          > Attorney General"
          >

          > So, that's not more than $10,000 and not more than 5 years for two
          > crimes (illicit distillation and tax fraud), plus penalties for
          > violating state laws.
          >

          > Sucks huh. Especially considering it's legal to make the alcohol in
          > the form of beer or wine, but not legal to simply purify it.
          Archaic
          > laws of an antiquated penal code. Ain't the U.S.A great! LAND OF
          THE
          > FREE! (I love my country, don't get me wrong, though the government
          > could use a little work)
        • vojeto
          Message 4 of 10 , May 4 9:45 PM
            wrote:
            > If you're in the States, you're looking at 5 years Federal time at
            a minimum. You better hope that the individual you're selling to
            doesn't get in some kind of trouble himself. When they ask what he
            can give them, he'll most definitely give them you.

            Assuming he ain't "one of them" himself. With this hobby, a certain
            amount of paranoia is a healthy instinct.

            Cheers
            JRae
          • Michael Horowitz
            Message 5 of 10 , May 8 3:45 AM
              I'd like to clean the inside of a siphoning hose; about 3/8 ID.
              Any suggestions? - Mike
              Message 6 of 10 , May 8 2:22 PM
                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Michael Horowitz
                <mhorowit@c...> wrote:
                > I'd like to clean the inside of a siphoning hose; about 3/8 ID.
                > Any suggestions? - Mike

                I keep all my plastics i.e. hoses, funnels, taps , seals etc. in a
                20 litre bucket filled with water and 1 cup of bleach. When I need
                them, I just rinse them off with fresh water. When finished using,
                rinse again and return to the bucket. Keeps things squeaky clean
                and mould free. Change the water/bleach solution about once every
                month.

                HTH

                p.s.
                Don't do this with copper items, they'll go black. For copper,
                clean with vinegar then rinse with water.