Re: $5 !

  • jimpuchai
    Message 1 of 10 , May 3, 2004
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Don Rickles"
      <drickles37388@c...> wrote:
      > I have sold mione one time but only at the insistence of the person
      involved. He gave me 100 bucks for 2 gallons of 100 proof (neutral
      spirits cut with water). I never give out my stuff at full
      strength...too dangerous...of course I had given him a gallon before
      this and he considered my time and money involved and said it was
      well worth the "donation" he gave me. He contacted me a week ago and
      wants 2 more gallons at the same rate...guess he likes it huh?

      I can only suggest that you are sailing into very dangerous waters.
      Full about and back to a SAFE harbour.

      Jim Puchai.
    • Brain Solenoid
      Message 2 of 10 , May 3, 2004
        Don,

        I'm definitely with Jim on this one. Seriously, what justifies the
        illegality of conducting this hobby in the US for me is that I do it
        purely for personal use and gifts to family and friends. I would
        never dream of selling my product, no matter how great the temptation.
        If I did, I would cross that line from "dubious enthusiast" to
        bootlegger (with tax evasion to boot).

        Realizing it isn't any of my busienss, but it just ain't worth it when
        your in the can, Man. If your going to do it, please don't discuss it
        in any of these forums or "The Powers That Be" will think we ALL do it.

        Good luck, and regards,
        BS

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jimpuchai" <puchai4@o...> wrote:
        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Don Rickles"
        > <drickles37388@c...> wrote:
        > > I have sold mione one time but only at the insistence of the person
        > involved. He gave me 100 bucks for 2 gallons of 100 proof (neutral
        > spirits cut with water). I never give out my stuff at full
        > strength...too dangerous...of course I had given him a gallon before
        > this and he considered my time and money involved and said it was
        > well worth the "donation" he gave me. He contacted me a week ago and
        > wants 2 more gallons at the same rate...guess he likes it huh?
        >

        > I can only suggest that you are sailing into very dangerous waters.
        > Full about and back to a SAFE harbour.
        >
        > Jim Puchai.
      • Austin Smith
        Message 3 of 10 , May 4, 2004
          If you're in the States, you're looking at 5 years Federal time at a minimum. You better hope that the individual you're selling to doesn't get in some kind of trouble himself. When they ask what he can give them, he'll most definitely give them you.

        • txbajabill
          Message 4 of 10 , May 4, 2004
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Austin Smith" <asmith1@b...>
            wrote:
            > If you're in the States, you're looking at 5 years Federal time at
            a minimum. You better hope that the individual you're selling to
            doesn't get in some kind of trouble himself. When they ask what he
            can give them, he'll most definitely give them you.

            http://www.atf.gov/alcohol/info/faq/genalcohol.htm#g1

            "Withdraws, [1] uses, sells, or otherwise disposes of distilled
            spirits produced under section 5181 for other than fuel use; shall be
            fined not more than $10,000, or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or
            both, for each such offense."

            "Whenever any person engaged in or carrying on the business of a
            distiller defrauds, attempts to defraud, or engages in such business
            with intent to defraud the United States of the tax on the spirits
            distilled by him, or of any part thereof, he shall be fined not more
            than $10,000, or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both. No
            discontinuance or nolle prosequi of any prosecution under this
            section shall be allowed without the permission in writing of the
            Attorney General"

            So, that's not more than $10,000 and not more than 5 years for two
            crimes (illicit distillation and tax fraud), plus penalties for
            violating state laws.

            Sucks huh. Especially considering it's legal to make the alcohol in
            the form of beer or wine, but not legal to simply purify it. Archaic
            laws of an antiquated penal code. Ain't the U.S.A great! LAND OF THE
            FREE! (I love my country, don't get me wrong, though the government
            could use a little work)
          • waljaco
            Message 5 of 10 , May 4, 2004
              If you start selling your homemade beer, wine or jam for that matter
              without paying tax, see what happens!
              Some laws cannot be enforced - such as distilling for personal use
              only.
              wal
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "txbajabill" <txbajabill@y...>
              wrote:
              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Austin Smith"
              <asmith1@b...>
              > wrote:
              > > If you're in the States, you're looking at 5 years Federal time
              at
              > a minimum. You better hope that the individual you're selling to
              > doesn't get in some kind of trouble himself. When they ask what he
              > can give them, he'll most definitely give them you.

              > http://www.atf.gov/alcohol/info/faq/genalcohol.htm#g1
              >
              > http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/26/5601.html
              >
              > "Withdraws, [1] uses, sells, or otherwise disposes of distilled
              > spirits produced under section 5181 for other than fuel use; shall
              be
              > fined not more than $10,000, or imprisoned not more than 5 years,
              or
              > both, for each such offense."
              >
              > http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/26/5602.html
              >
              > "Whenever any person engaged in or carrying on the business of a
              > distiller defrauds, attempts to defraud, or engages in such
              business
              > with intent to defraud the United States of the tax on the spirits
              > distilled by him, or of any part thereof, he shall be fined not
              more
              > than $10,000, or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both. No
              > discontinuance or nolle prosequi of any prosecution under this
              > section shall be allowed without the permission in writing of the
              > Attorney General"
              >

              > So, that's not more than $10,000 and not more than 5 years for two
              > crimes (illicit distillation and tax fraud), plus penalties for
              > violating state laws.
              >

              > Sucks huh. Especially considering it's legal to make the alcohol in
              > the form of beer or wine, but not legal to simply purify it.
              Archaic
              > laws of an antiquated penal code. Ain't the U.S.A great! LAND OF
              THE
              > FREE! (I love my country, don't get me wrong, though the government
              > could use a little work)
            • vojeto
              Message 6 of 10 , May 4, 2004
                wrote:
                > If you're in the States, you're looking at 5 years Federal time at
                a minimum. You better hope that the individual you're selling to
                doesn't get in some kind of trouble himself. When they ask what he
                can give them, he'll most definitely give them you.

                Assuming he ain't "one of them" himself. With this hobby, a certain
                amount of paranoia is a healthy instinct.

                Cheers
                JRae
              • Michael Horowitz
                Message 7 of 10 , May 8, 2004
                  I'd like to clean the inside of a siphoning hose; about 3/8 ID.
                  Any suggestions? - Mike
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 8, 2004
                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Michael Horowitz
                    <mhorowit@c...> wrote:
                    > I'd like to clean the inside of a siphoning hose; about 3/8 ID.
                    > Any suggestions? - Mike

                    I keep all my plastics i.e. hoses, funnels, taps , seals etc. in a
                    20 litre bucket filled with water and 1 cup of bleach. When I need
                    them, I just rinse them off with fresh water. When finished using,
                    rinse again and return to the bucket. Keeps things squeaky clean
                    and mould free. Change the water/bleach solution about once every
                    month.

                    HTH

                    p.s.
                    Don't do this with copper items, they'll go black. For copper,
                    clean with vinegar then rinse with water.