Re: [new_distillers] sugar wash formula

  • Me_Myself & I
    Message 1 of 11 , May 3, 2004
      Buy a good turbo yeast and follow the instructions......no advanced math needed.......it dont get much 'simpler' than that...good luck
      Message 2 of 11 , May 4, 2004
        what kind of vessel were you using to ferment in?

        is there any problem with a plastic fermentation vessel? i'm looking
        for somethign i can use to make mine in.

        man, my still is getting expensive. i've definitly gone overboard on
        the 'deluxe' features on this one.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "txbajabill"
        <txbajabill@y...> wrote:
        > Rob,
        >
        > I'm pretty new at this myself, but I would like to share with you
        the
        > formula for the first sugar wash I made:
        >
        > It fermented in about two weeks, but it would have fermented
        faster
        > if I had overpitched the yeast (I believe). The taste of the
        > distillate was far better than I could have imagined. The best cut
        > came out like a clean, semi-sweet rum, almost bacardi-ish (I
        didn't
        > even polish it ... went straight to the bottle).
        >
        > Being the amateur that I am, I didn't even get a specific gravity
        > before or after fermentation; I just settled it and siphoned it
        when
        > the bubbles stopped. It cleared wonderfully on it's own without
        > additives (unlike the turbo yeast I used on my last batch).
        >
        > The recipe is listed verbosely in the link above, but the
        ingredients
        > I used were basically:
        >
        > 10 lb sugar
        > 2 lb brown sugar
        > 1 12-oz cone of mexican unrefined sugar (piloncillo, see link
        above)
        > 1/2 lb (+/-) 6-row crystal malt barley (milled)
        > 1/4 lb (+/-) enriched corn meal
        > 25-30 g yeast nutrients (DAP)
        > 25-30 g acid blend (tartaric, citric,)
        > 2 cups orange juice (as pulpy as possible)
        > 1 multvitamin tablet
        >
        > The fermentation started quickly and was self-sufficient. I didn't
        > have to do a thing to it but leave it alone in a dark, thermally
        > stable area (closet). Just make sure to put something under it
        should
        > it decide to overflow onto the carpet! (lesson learned)
        >
        > The distillate was remarkable in my opinion, but then again, I
        really
        > don't have anything to compare it to. All my buddies who tasted
        it,
        > however, were quite impressed and generally related it to taste
        like
        > bacardi white with more "umph!"
        >
        > It was distilled with internal reflux model:
        > http://www.moonshine-still.com/
        >
        > I can't say what the reflux ratio was or what %ABV the good cut
        came
        > out to (didn't have the tools then). My goal (which was successful)
        > was to get it somewhat pure but not to reflux all the flavor out.
        The
        > flavor carried over to the product quite well. It was VERY good
        and I
        > plan to repeat the recipe again!
        >
        > Good luck!
        >
        > bajabill
        >

        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "unarobert" <rhodge@s...>
        > wrote:
        > <SNIP>
        > > is there a good way to make a high(er) yield sugar yeast that
        would
        > > be very forgiving, to the point of 'start it and forget it'? i'm
        > > real beginner at this, so i'd love to see some formulas/input>
        > Cheers,
        > > Rob Hodge
      • Rana Pipiens
        Message 3 of 11 , May 4, 2004
          Yes, you can use plastic containers to ferment in. Wine and beer making shops carry around 25 liter pails for primary fermentation. If in the U.S, Smart & Final carries food grade containers just like them foir less$$. Rana

          unarobert <rhodge@...> wrote:what kind of vessel were you using to ferment in?

          <txbajabill@y...> wrote:
> [...]
          >
          > I can't say what the reflux ratio was or what %ABV the good cut
          came
          > out to (didn't have the tools then). My goal (which was successful)
          > was to get it somewhat pure but not to reflux all the flavor out.
          The
          > flavor carried over to the product quite well. It was VERY good
          and I
          > plan to repeat the recipe again!
          >
          > Good luck!
          >
          > bajabill
          >

          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "unarobert" <rhodge@s...>
          > wrote:
          > <SNIP>
          > > is there a good way to make a high(er) yield sugar yeast that
          would
          > > be very forgiving, to the point of 'start it and forget it'? i'm
          > > real beginner at this, so i'd love to see some formulas/input>

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • txbajabill
          Message 4 of 11 , May 4, 2004
            wrote:
            > what kind of vessel were you using to ferment in?
            >
            > is there any problem with a plastic fermentation vessel? i'm
            looking
            > for somethign i can use to make mine in.
            > <SNIP>

            I have three 5-gallon glass carboys. Two are loaners and one I bought
            on E-bay for 20 bucks plus shipping. I prefer glass because I believe
            plastic just makes beer/wort/wash taste off (would you ever buy a
            beer that came in a plastic bottle if you had a choice?). My dad
            ferments his beer in plastic 5 gallon buckets, though. Many use
            plastic trashcans for volume; I'm sure plastic is okay, it's just
            preference.

            By the way, I use Lavlin EC-1118 yeast when I'm going for flavor
            recipe, Turbo yeast and sugar when I want a neutral spirit.
          • stillyaakman
            Message 5 of 11 , May 5, 2004
              wrote:
              i'd love to see some formulas/input
              Rob Hodge

              Here's what I do.
              I have a 25 gal. fermentor. To it I add 40 lb. of the cheapest white
              granulated sugar I can find. Usually about $18 for 50#. To that I add
              enough hot tap water to disolve. Then I lower the water temp.and fill
              to 20 gal. Add three packs of Still Spirits ( the brand thats
              available to me) Turbo Yeast, and stand back! The temp. I add yeast
              at is about 80 deg. F. Also every thing is clean and sanitized.
              Almost immediatly I can smell the aroma of CO2 coming off the wash
              and when it appears to have stopped fermenting and tastes dry I
              distill in one run, @ about 96% abv. cut with filtered water to 45%
              and it is very good. That is not to say there is a tasteless result.
              To me there's a bit of a sweet taste and to my wife and some of my
              friends there's a vanilla sort of taste.
              I like it straight on ice,or with lime. It's good in most anything
              you'd make with vodka,rum or gin.
              Dan
            • unarobert
              Message 6 of 11 , May 5, 2004
                do you have a good local do-it-yourself-style source for a
                fermentation vessel?

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "stillyaakman"
                <stillyaakman@y...> wrote:
                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "unarobert" <rhodge@s...>
                > wrote:
                > i'd love to see some formulas/input
                > Rob Hodge
                >
                > Here's what I do.
                > I have a 25 gal. fermentor. To it I add 40 lb. of the cheapest
                white
                > granulated sugar I can find. Usually about $18 for 50#. To that I
                add
                > enough hot tap water to disolve. Then I lower the water temp.and
                fill
                > to 20 gal. Add three packs of Still Spirits ( the brand thats
                > available to me) Turbo Yeast, and stand back! The temp. I add
                yeast
                > at is about 80 deg. F. Also every thing is clean and sanitized.
                > Almost immediatly I can smell the aroma of CO2 coming off the wash
                > and when it appears to have stopped fermenting and tastes dry I
                > distill in one run, @ about 96% abv. cut with filtered water to
                45%
                > and it is very good. That is not to say there is a tasteless
                result.
                > To me there's a bit of a sweet taste and to my wife and some of my
                > friends there's a vanilla sort of taste.
                > I like it straight on ice,or with lime. It's good in most anything
                > you'd make with vodka,rum or gin.
                > Dan
              • stillyaakman
                Message 7 of 11 , May 5, 2004
                  wrote:
                  > do you have a good local do-it-yourself-style source for a
                  > fermentation vessel?

                  I got mine at the local homebrew supply shop. If I were getting
                  another I'd go to the local resturant supply house. They have heavier
                  food grade containers at a good price. If I remember correctly it was
                  about $30 for a 30 gal. garbage can shaped container with a drain
                  valve at the bottom and a good heavy lid.
                  Dan
                • Darryl Humby
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 11, 2004
                    Those portable water containers in the 7 gallon size are suitable. Just buy one at wal-mart in the camping section. I have two of them going at once for a steady supply of wash. Easy to handle and pour with the built in spigot!

                    Darryl

                    <stillyaakman@y...> wrote:
                    > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "unarobert" <rhodge@s...>
                    > wrote:
                    > i'd love to see some formulas/input
                    > Rob Hodge
                    >
                    > Here's what I do.
                    > I have a 25 gal. fermentor. To it I add 40 lb. of the cheapest
                    white
                    > granulated sugar I can find. Usually about $18 for 50#. To that I
                    add
                    > enough hot tap water to disolve. Then I lower the water temp.and
                    fill
                    > to 20 gal. Add three packs of Still Spirits ( the brand thats
                    > available to me) Turbo Yeast, and stand back! The temp. I add
                    yeast
                    > at is about 80 deg. F. Also every thing is clean and sanitized.
                    > Almost immediatly I can smell the aroma of CO2 coming off the wash
                    > and when it appears to have stopped fermenting and tastes dry I
                    > distill in one run, @ about 96% abv. cut with filtered water to
                    45%
                    > and it is very good. That is not to say there is a tasteless
                    result.
                    > To me there's a bit of a sweet taste and to my wife and some of my
                    > friends there's a vanilla sort of taste.
                    > I like it straight on ice,or with lime. It's good in most anything
                    > you'd make with vodka,rum or gin.
                    > Dan

                    Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                  • ifixairplanes
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 8, 2004
                      Just GO FOR IT. You'd be surprised an some good results
                      under 'average' conditions. I'm not going to keep the whole house
                      freezing just so I can keep the office (fermentation room) at the
                      ideal temp. Sometines unintentional varriations in recipes are able
                      to overcome less than optimal conditions. I start with 2.5 gal
                      washes in 3 gal water jugs. If my alcohol is low after
                      fermenting...I can usually supplement it with some free booze that
                      one of my friends hasn't touched in forever.