Re: sugar wash formula

  • txbajabill
    Message 1 of 11 , May 3, 2004
      Rob,

      I'm pretty new at this myself, but I would like to share with you the
      formula for the first sugar wash I made:

      It fermented in about two weeks, but it would have fermented faster
      if I had overpitched the yeast (I believe). The taste of the
      distillate was far better than I could have imagined. The best cut
      came out like a clean, semi-sweet rum, almost bacardi-ish (I didn't
      even polish it ... went straight to the bottle).

      Being the amateur that I am, I didn't even get a specific gravity
      before or after fermentation; I just settled it and siphoned it when
      the bubbles stopped. It cleared wonderfully on it's own without
      additives (unlike the turbo yeast I used on my last batch).

      The recipe is listed verbosely in the link above, but the ingredients
      I used were basically:

      10 lb sugar
      2 lb brown sugar
      1 12-oz cone of mexican unrefined sugar (piloncillo, see link above)
      1/2 lb (+/-) 6-row crystal malt barley (milled)
      1/4 lb (+/-) enriched corn meal
      25-30 g yeast nutrients (DAP)
      25-30 g acid blend (tartaric, citric,)
      2 cups orange juice (as pulpy as possible)
      1 multvitamin tablet

      The fermentation started quickly and was self-sufficient. I didn't
      have to do a thing to it but leave it alone in a dark, thermally
      stable area (closet). Just make sure to put something under it should
      it decide to overflow onto the carpet! (lesson learned)

      The distillate was remarkable in my opinion, but then again, I really
      don't have anything to compare it to. All my buddies who tasted it,
      however, were quite impressed and generally related it to taste like
      bacardi white with more "umph!"

      It was distilled with internal reflux model:
      http://www.moonshine-still.com/

      I can't say what the reflux ratio was or what %ABV the good cut came
      out to (didn't have the tools then). My goal (which was successful)
      was to get it somewhat pure but not to reflux all the flavor out. The
      flavor carried over to the product quite well. It was VERY good and I
      plan to repeat the recipe again!

      Good luck!

      bajabill

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "unarobert" <rhodge@s...>
      wrote:
      <SNIP>
      > is there a good way to make a high(er) yield sugar yeast that would
      > be very forgiving, to the point of 'start it and forget it'? i'm a
      > real beginner at this, so i'd love to see some formulas/input>
      Cheers,
      > Rob Hodge
    • Me_Myself & I
      Message 2 of 11 , May 3, 2004
        Buy a good turbo yeast and follow the instructions......no advanced math needed.......it dont get much 'simpler' than that...good luck
        Message 3 of 11 , May 4, 2004
          what kind of vessel were you using to ferment in?

          is there any problem with a plastic fermentation vessel? i'm looking
          for somethign i can use to make mine in.

          man, my still is getting expensive. i've definitly gone overboard on
          the 'deluxe' features on this one.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "txbajabill"

        • Rana Pipiens
          Message 4 of 11 , May 4, 2004
            Yes, you can use plastic containers to ferment in. Wine and beer making shops carry around 25 liter pails for primary fermentation. If in the U.S, Smart & Final carries food grade containers just like them foir less$$. Rana

            unarobert <rhodge@...> wrote:what kind of vessel were you using to ferment in?

            <txbajabill@y...> wrote:
> [...]
            >
            > I can't say what the reflux ratio was or what %ABV the good cut
            came
            > out to (didn't have the tools then). My goal (which was successful)
            > was to get it somewhat pure but not to reflux all the flavor out.
            The
            > flavor carried over to the product quite well. It was VERY good
            and I
            > plan to repeat the recipe again!
            >
            > Good luck!
            >
            > bajabill
            >

            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "unarobert" <rhodge@s...>
            > wrote:
            > <SNIP>
            > > is there a good way to make a high(er) yield sugar yeast that
            would
            > > be very forgiving, to the point of 'start it and forget it'? i'm
            > > real beginner at this, so i'd love to see some formulas/input>

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          • txbajabill
            Message 5 of 11 , May 4, 2004
              wrote:
              > what kind of vessel were you using to ferment in?
              >
              > is there any problem with a plastic fermentation vessel? i'm
              looking
              > for somethign i can use to make mine in.
              > <SNIP>

              I have three 5-gallon glass carboys. Two are loaners and one I bought
              on E-bay for 20 bucks plus shipping. I prefer glass because I believe
              plastic just makes beer/wort/wash taste off (would you ever buy a
              beer that came in a plastic bottle if you had a choice?). My dad
              ferments his beer in plastic 5 gallon buckets, though. Many use
              plastic trashcans for volume; I'm sure plastic is okay, it's just
              preference.

              By the way, I use Lavlin EC-1118 yeast when I'm going for flavor
              recipe, Turbo yeast and sugar when I want a neutral spirit.
            • stillyaakman
              Message 6 of 11 , May 5, 2004
                wrote:
                i'd love to see some formulas/input
                Rob Hodge

                Here's what I do.
                I have a 25 gal. fermentor. To it I add 40 lb. of the cheapest white
                granulated sugar I can find. Usually about $18 for 50#. To that I add
                enough hot tap water to disolve. Then I lower the water temp.and fill
                to 20 gal. Add three packs of Still Spirits ( the brand thats
                available to me) Turbo Yeast, and stand back! The temp. I add yeast
                at is about 80 deg. F. Also every thing is clean and sanitized.
                Almost immediatly I can smell the aroma of CO2 coming off the wash
                and when it appears to have stopped fermenting and tastes dry I
                distill in one run, @ about 96% abv. cut with filtered water to 45%
                and it is very good. That is not to say there is a tasteless result.
                To me there's a bit of a sweet taste and to my wife and some of my
                friends there's a vanilla sort of taste.
                I like it straight on ice,or with lime. It's good in most anything
                you'd make with vodka,rum or gin.
                Dan
              • unarobert
                Message 7 of 11 , May 5, 2004
                  do you have a good local do-it-yourself-style source for a
                  fermentation vessel?

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "stillyaakman"
                  <stillyaakman@y...> wrote:
                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "unarobert" <rhodge@s...>
                  > wrote:
                  > i'd love to see some formulas/input
                  > Rob Hodge
                  >
                  > Here's what I do.
                  > I have a 25 gal. fermentor. To it I add 40 lb. of the cheapest
                  white
                  > granulated sugar I can find. Usually about $18 for 50#. To that I
                  add
                  > enough hot tap water to disolve. Then I lower the water temp.and
                  fill
                  > to 20 gal. Add three packs of Still Spirits ( the brand thats
                  > available to me) Turbo Yeast, and stand back! The temp. I add
                  yeast
                  > at is about 80 deg. F. Also every thing is clean and sanitized.
                  > Almost immediatly I can smell the aroma of CO2 coming off the wash
                  > and when it appears to have stopped fermenting and tastes dry I
                  > distill in one run, @ about 96% abv. cut with filtered water to
                  45%
                  > and it is very good. That is not to say there is a tasteless
                  result.
                  > To me there's a bit of a sweet taste and to my wife and some of my
                  > friends there's a vanilla sort of taste.
                  > I like it straight on ice,or with lime. It's good in most anything
                  > you'd make with vodka,rum or gin.
                  > Dan
                • stillyaakman
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 5, 2004
                    wrote:
                    > do you have a good local do-it-yourself-style source for a
                    > fermentation vessel?

                    I got mine at the local homebrew supply shop. If I were getting
                    another I'd go to the local resturant supply house. They have heavier
                    food grade containers at a good price. If I remember correctly it was
                    about $30 for a 30 gal. garbage can shaped container with a drain
                    valve at the bottom and a good heavy lid.
                    Dan
                  • Darryl Humby
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 11, 2004
                      Those portable water containers in the 7 gallon size are suitable. Just buy one at wal-mart in the camping section. I have two of them going at once for a steady supply of wash. Easy to handle and pour with the built in spigot!

                      Darryl

                      <stillyaakman@y...> wrote:
                      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "unarobert" <rhodge@s...>
                      > wrote:
                      > i'd love to see some formulas/input
                      > Rob Hodge
                      >
                      > Here's what I do.
                      > I have a 25 gal. fermentor. To it I add 40 lb. of the cheapest
                      white
                      > granulated sugar I can find. Usually about $18 for 50#. To that I
                      add
                      > enough hot tap water to disolve. Then I lower the water temp.and
                      fill
                      > to 20 gal. Add three packs of Still Spirits ( the brand thats
                      > available to me) Turbo Yeast, and stand back! The temp. I add
                      yeast
                      > at is about 80 deg. F. Also every thing is clean and sanitized.
                      > Almost immediatly I can smell the aroma of CO2 coming off the wash
                      > and when it appears to have stopped fermenting and tastes dry I
                      > distill in one run, @ about 96% abv. cut with filtered water to
                      45%
                      > and it is very good. That is not to say there is a tasteless
                      result.
                      > To me there's a bit of a sweet taste and to my wife and some of my
                      > friends there's a vanilla sort of taste.
                      > I like it straight on ice,or with lime. It's good in most anything
                      > you'd make with vodka,rum or gin.
                      > Dan

                      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                    • ifixairplanes
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 8, 2004
                        Just GO FOR IT. You'd be surprised an some good results
                        under 'average' conditions. I'm not going to keep the whole house
                        freezing just so I can keep the office (fermentation room) at the
                        ideal temp. Sometines unintentional varriations in recipes are able
                        to overcome less than optimal conditions. I start with 2.5 gal
                        washes in 3 gal water jugs. If my alcohol is low after
                        fermenting...I can usually supplement it with some free booze that
                        one of my friends hasn't touched in forever.