Re: [new_distillers] Vapor Cooling Problems

  • Brandon Lee
    Message 1 of 11 , May 3, 2004
      Steve --how many feet of 1/4" copper pipe was used to
      make your wraps-- if u get much over 28-30' u start to
      restrict the flow of your water thru your tube---just
      for regular water pressure--check for bends or kinks
      in the copper line -- do u have a single or double
      rolled condenser--did u heat your copper before u
      tried to roll it to form-- this almost eliminates
      almost all of the kinking -- heat your copper red hot
      then instantly drop it in a bucket of cold water-- it
      will roll like wet noodles--keep it tight while
      rolling it-- i do mine on my lathe but there are
      several ways of doing if if this luxury is not to be
      had--
      good luck
      regarde'
      Blueflame456
      --- stevieinnz <stevieinnz@...> wrote:
      > I have just built a valved reflux still, The boiler
      > is a 50 liter
      > keg with 2 1500 watt elements. Column is 3' of 2"
      > copper. My
      > condenser tube is made of 2 1/2" copper and is 14"
      > long.
      > My condenser coil is 1/4 soft copper, wound to 1 1/4
      > inside
      > diameter, 12" long with 40 coils in it. When boiling
      > I drop to 1
      > 1500 element.I have done a test run with water and
      > am having
      > problems cooling the vapours.
      > The problem is I still have quite a large amount of
      > steam exiting
      > the top of the condenser tube.
      > Any sugestions would be really appreciated.
      > Cheers

    • Michael Horowitz
      Message 2 of 11 , May 8, 2004
        Before first use of copper tubing, do you do anything by way of
        cleaning/flushing it out? assume no soldering of flux involved. - Mike
      • jimpuchai
        Message 3 of 11 , May 8, 2004
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Michael Horowitz
          <mhorowit@c...> wrote:
          > Before first use of copper tubing, do you do anything by way of
          > cleaning/flushing it out? assume no soldering of flux involved. -
          Mike

          Wash through with dilute vinegar. If actually dirty, let dilute
          vinegar sit in the pipe for a half hour or so. Rinse thoroughly.

          Jim Puchai.
        • David Lunsford
          Message 4 of 11 , May 9, 2004
            Take a long piece of string and tie a small piece of cloth in the middle,
            and a nail to one end, drop nail through hose, pulling cloth through, pull
            back and forth if needed, like cleaning a gun barrel, rinse with vinegar,
            then water....Dave