silver solder

  • kycreekwater
    Message 1 of 7 , May 2, 2004
      hi is it safe to use lead free plumbing solder? and i have checked a
      few different stores and found a lot of lead free solder for plumbing
      but none of them said anything about cadmium and this is my concern.
      so is cadmium a greek word for lead or what ? and does the flux
      contain any bad shit that will kill me ? or would it be better to use
      brazeing rods instead if so then what kind of toxic stuff do i need
      to look for in the brazeing rods thank you
    • bigdaddyg851
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 26, 2010
        anybody know if stainless steel can be silver soldered ? or it must be tig welded ?
        thanks
        bigdaddyg
      • rosnekcaj
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 27, 2010
          My setup uses copper silver soldered to stainless steel. Stainless can be tig welded to itself but not to copper. But it's best to get someone with stainless experience to work with it.

          rosnekcaj

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bigdaddyg851" <bigdaddyg851@...> wrote:

          > anybody know if stainless steel can be silver soldered ? or it must be tig welded ?
          > thanks
          > bigdaddyg

        • Jan Ooms
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 27, 2010
            Hi Bigdaddy,
            You can silver solder stainless steel very easy, make sure you get the correct  food grade silver solder and flux. Use an oxy torch for a better and quicker result.
            Regards,
            Jan.

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 27, 2010
              OK, I'm a welder so here goes some info. Some of the top Professional Still makers DO weld stainless to copper, but I've never done it so don't ask me how.

              As far as I know Solder never has cadium in it, you want to make sure it's Lead Free. But for a stronger joint having silver solder is best, most plumbing supplies carry it, it's not pure silver or anything close so it should not be more than a couple of bucks more expensive.

              Brazing is incredibly strong and if you look at the tensile strength of a brazed weld it's higer that welding itself. When it comes to brazing you really can't do much more than silver brazing with a propane or mapp gas rig, an Oxy/Acetylene setup is best. For brazing wire you DO want CADIUM FREE in the braze and flux. Just realize you would need to get stainless cherry red to braze and if you don't know what your doing and heat it too long the carbon will burn out of the stainless and will rust like regular steel.

              As far as fluxes that is linked with the kind of soldering or brazing you're doing. For copper to copper with silver solder or regular lead free solder, regular flux used for drinking water plumbing is all that's needed, the water soluble non-toxic stuff.

              For Copper to stainless you must use an acid based flux. It comes in liquid or paste. I use the liquid. It is nasty stuff so be sure to use a respirator --- YOU MUST USE A RESPIRATOR AND DO IT OUTSIDE AS THE FUMES COMING OFF WHEN YOU HEAT IT UP ARE DANGEROUS!!!! --- The flux I use if from Harris Welding and it's called Stay-Clean. Be sure to buy an auxiliary container as no matter how new it is, it leaks. Don't take it out of the container but use it to store it so if it does leak it won't ruin anything. As always store this in a garage and away from children.

              For stainless to stainless you can use solder with the stayclean flux or silver braze it with stay silv braze and flux, both of which must be cadium free. Depending on what you are joining and how much stress it will take silver solder is amazingly strong.

              Just to complete this; welding stainless to stainless by tig or mig is really not that hard for someone who knows what they're doing. Mig though does leave pockets and although it looks like a nice bead will more than likely leak. Tig is really the best choice. As far as copper to copper welding it is very difficult and requires special equipment and knowledge. If you are going to tig it, it will require upwards of a 400 amp machine with a water cooled torch.

              I hope that answers your questions.

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rosnekcaj" <jensor4@...> wrote:

              > My setup uses copper silver soldered to stainless steel. Stainless can be tig welded to itself but not to copper. But it's best to get someone with stainless experience to work with it.
              >
              > rosnekcaj
              >
              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bigdaddyg851" <bigdaddyg851@> wrote:
              > >
              > > anybody know if stainless steel can be silver soldered ? or it must be tig welded ?
              > > thanks
              > > bigdaddyg

            • rye_junkie1
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 28, 2010
                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bigdaddyg851" <bigdaddyg851@...> wrote:

                > anybody know if stainless steel can be silver soldered ? or it must be tig welded ?
                > thanks
                > bigdaddyg

                I use this:
                http://www.airgas.com/browse/product.aspx?Msg=RecID&recIds=246451&WT.svl=246451
                You need Oxy propane or Acetylene. Just make sure you want it permanent. It works on Steel, SS, Copper, Brass, and any combination.

                Mason
              • bigdaddyg851
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 4, 2010
                  thanks to everybody who replied to this post .it was a great help .i managed to get it soldered last night using oxy acetylene torches.
                  bigdaddyg