wine to shine? help

  • willy
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 27, 2004
      hello
      i got 5 gal of strabeery wine and i was woundering if i could turn it
      in to shine? i got a small pot still and would like some help to see
      if i could do this ?or if it will work,or do i need to add stuf to
      it . this is my first try at this?and all the help i can get will be
      great.
      thanks
      willy
    • willy
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 27, 2004
          ...:>)...that depends upon what you consider the definition of "shine" to be...realistically,you cant turn Strawberry wine into Corn whiskey...good luck...:>)
          Message 4 of 7 , May 1, 2004
            You can distill the wine, and make 198 proof alcohol. The amount of alcohol
            in the wine will determine how much you end up with. It works really well for
            disinfecting wounds and degreasing engines.

          • Me_Myself & I
            Message 5 of 7 , May 2, 2004
              What process are you using to distill alcohol at 99%?...:>)
              Message 6 of 7 , May 3, 2004
                I'll cook a few batches through a reflux still, paying no attention to the
                different sections of the run. When I feel like I have enough to make it worth
                while I will run it through again, making sure to seperate the foreshots,
                heads, heart, and tail of the run. The amount needed, to feel like you have
                enough, will depend on the size of still you are using I suppose. When I test the
                liquor produced through this process it is around 98 or 99%. It should have a
                sweet taste and not smell like sweaty feet. If this happens you need to run
                it through again and watch closely for when the tail end of the run will
                start. Be sure to save the tail and head of the run. You can cook it with your
                next batch. Good Luck! Chris

              • Me_Myself & I
                Message 7 of 7 , May 3, 2004
                  If your distillate is 'testing' "around 98 or 99%" you need to do a temperature correction...or get an accurate alcoholmeter...:>)