Re: [new_distillers] Re: New Still

  • Joel G
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 10, 2004
      I would suggest a stripping run first then make your 'cuts' on the final distill,seperating by temperature,taste and smell....personally,I trash everything that comes out until the head temperature stabelizes around 78C(and the strong smell goes away),keep everything between that point and appx 80C and dump whats left in the boiler....not that others dont do it differently,thats just the method that has worked for me for several years...after all,I am drinking this stuff!!!...I readily admit that I throw away what many people would keep and I never re distill foreshots,heads,tails etc collected from previous runs...it just takes longer next time and ,if done right the first time,the additional 'desirable' product isnt worth my effort.....also,I do only sugar-turbo washs and distill to 95-96%ABV.....whiskies etc certainly require different methods AND much more work.....:>)...good luck...:>)
      In addition,you cant operate your still too slow,as long as a drip is coming out appx every one-two seconds...the slower you run,the better the seperation...:>)