Re: Sugar in alcohol/haze problem

  • waljaco
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 7 11:32 PM
      See
      http://www.guntheranderson.com/liqueurs/winemake.htm
      Midsummer day & night
      http://www.encyclopedia.com/html/ml/midsumme.asp

      wal
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "John Wisbey"
      <johnwisbey@l...> wrote:
      > Hi, Reuel.
      >
      > Here in Italy most families make their own liqueurs, such as
      limoncello, with lemons and a similar one with oranges, they also
      make one called Nocino, which is made with green walnuts which must
      be picked on S. Giovanni's day, or night of 25/26 June. If anybody is
      interested why this day I will let them know. Generally these
      liqueurs are used as a digestive and they always contain sugar. After
      the required botanicals have been macerated for the required time in
      alcohol, the abv is adjusted to between 30% and 40% by the addition
      of a sugar syrup and water. Generally, these liqueurs are cloudy and
      I asked the group if anybody could solve this problem. The replies,
      as ever have been helpful and informative. In Italy, one can buy 95%
      alcohol in the local supermarket, but I think it may be of a grain
      origin. My next try will be with a home distilled sugar based 95%
      using the recommendations posted recently.