Re: My First Sugar Wash/and other questions

  • gatesbox
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 4, 2004
      > Gatesbox, Does your stove use an electric element or a gas burner
      and what is the volume of your pot still boiler? Thx, R.

      I decided to bite the bullet and run it on the gas burner. I had
      plenty of ventilation and decided to monitor the pot for leaks. By
      the way I found that with six small clamps the seal on the metal to
      metal lid to pot was better than when I tried to use tubing or other
      seals. I bought a set of 4 Pots on ebay and use the largest 20qt
      pot, the whole set was 19.99. I ran 3/4 inch copper out of the lid
      to a long goose neck using 3 (120deg?) elbows twisted to conform to
      a nice long angle. If you are interested I can share parts and
      dimensions. It was very cheap (compared to reflux) and uses only
      copper soldering, hose clamps and inexpensive pvc fittings for the
      condensor.
    • pmbcaton
      Message 2 of 9 , May 24, 2004
        Hell yes, I'd like some info. That sounds almost exactly what I had
        in mind for my very first machine.
        How do those clamps suit you? Any leaks? Do you flour/water paste
        it first?
        Let's say I make a great wort, like an 18%-er. What kind of yied
        can one one expect with one batch in your still and ran through three
        times?
        What's the lyne arm set to? That same angle you were talking about?
        I am excited about this, for I have all but the boiler.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gatesbox" <gatesbox@y...>