Re: Cost of Copper Pipe

  • grayson_stewart66
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 4, 2004
      Just curious, do most people in this group not have local plumbing
      contractors in their area...say in the yellow pages for those in the
      U.S. I was quoted some high pipe prices by a pipe supplier and
      started calling licsensed plumbers. On my first call I found one
      less than a mile from the house willing to sell me a new piece of 2
      inch diamter, thin walled copper pipe, 5 foot long for $5.
    • jerrykrautenstaben
      Message 2 of 16 , May 6, 2004
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Zarklan Zhaphedoix
        <fermentsindarkness@y...> wrote:
        > I currently have a stainless steel clamp on a keg still and I am
        working on my own ultimate scary still design but when pricing 2"
        copper pipe I found that it is extremely expensive. I called two
        local suppliers and the quotes were 4.61/foot and 5.60/foot both
        suppliers with a 20 foot minimum. Is this about what everyone is
        paying?

        This guy is selling 2 inch copper pipe on ebay. The item number is
        3814416406 or just search for "2 inch copper pipe".
      • seaker350
        Message 3 of 16 , May 6, 2004
          Okay, big secret. If you have a Sears Hardware store near you(notice
          I said HARDWARE) they should have 2" copper pipe for around $58.00
          for a 10 foot section. That's right. Go to your nearest Sears
          Hardware store to pick up a 10 foot section for $58.00 (or just
          under) and don't worry about shipping and handling. This is not
          available at one of their run of the mill mall stores. I know this
          as fact as I work at one such place. All the other size copper pipes
          doubled in price recently, but the 2" stayed the same. Go figure
          retail... And leave some for me. As I mentioned, I work at a Sears
          hardware store and have to save up to buy a piece...
        • Me_Myself & I

            Message 5 of 16 , May 7, 2004
              You could also try scrap metal supplies, when the big plumbing
              contractors need a few dollars to buy beer for the work Christmas
              party they will take the copper and cash it in. My first few stills
              were made from perfectly good scrap copper (The insides were
              completely clean apart from a little dust) I don't think I paid more
              than a few dollars per kilo... the expense came with the fittings
              and packing - the still I currently use ( good old fashioned VM
              compound still) probably didn't cost me more than $50 to build -
              minus the solder and torch. With a good design you can reduce the
              amount of fittings needed too... this is defiantly not a hobby that
              needs alot of money to get good results...

              Shop around!! I'm sure you will be able to find copper at a similar
              price.! :)

              cheers
              Jim

              Oh... and that's Aussie dollars!...