Re: Cloudiness

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 4, 2004
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "John Wisbey"
      <johnwisbey@l...> wrote:
      > Hi, Harry,
      >
      > I read your notes about cloudiness in high abv distillate and
      found it very interesting. Do you have any information on cloudiness
      after sugar has been added to things like limoncello. I recently had
      a go at a type of Sambucca and although it was perfectly clear after
      filtration, upon adding the sugar syrup it tuned cloudy. Having said
      that about limoncello, every restaurant around here in the Langhe
      always offer a glass of the limoncello, on the house, as a
      digestive, and that is always cloudy. It does not affect the taste
      however.

      > John Wisbey

      Hi John,
      There are several sources of cloudiness in fruit liqueurs.
      1. The alcohol (fatty acids)
      2. The zest (essential oils)
      3. The sugar syrup (heat)
      4. The water (minerals)

      When you dilute alcohol below about 50% ABV, it loses it's solvent
      properties and anything in it that can cause cloudiness will show
      up. This is not usually a problem with cane sugar based alcohol.
      It's much more likely in grain alcohol (from fatty acids).

      Limoncello, and many other fruit liqueurs use the 'zest' or outer
      rind of the fruit for flavouring (never the white pith, it's very
      bitter). This zest contains colouring, acids and oils. The
      essential oils sometimes make the low ABV blend cloudy. With
      Limoncello (lemon zest) this is the usual cause. However, there is
      one more cause that many people overlook. The sugar syrup, or more
      precisely, how it's prepared.

      Sugar syrup:
      Also known as Simple Syrup, Gomme Syrup and Sirop de Gomme.
      Three grades are used for liqueurs, depending on tastes.
      Light- 3 parts water to 1 part sugar.
      Medium- 2 parts water to 1 part sugar.
      Heavy- equal parts water and sugar.

      For Limoncello, it should be prepared medium weight at a 2:1 ratio,
      i.e. 2 volumes distilled water to 1 volume white sugar. Using
      distilled water eliminates the possibility of dissolved minerals
      contaminating and clouding your liqueur (number 4 above).

      To prepare sugar syrup, gently heat the water in a stainless pot
      over a low heat. Bring to simmer, DO NOT BOIL. When it's about
      coffee hot, add the sugar and stir constantly until the mixture is
      completely clear and all the sugar is dissolved. Again, DO NOT
      BOIL, as this will cause sugar crystals to form on cooling and may
      also discolour your syrup. If this happens, discard it (put it in
      your next wort) and start over making the syrup.

      Allow the syrup to COOL COMPLETELY before adding to your liqueur.
      This is very important as any residual heat will cause the alcohol
      to cloud.

      A note on liqueur thickness:
      If a thicker liqueur type is needed, without making it too sweet,
      add glycerine (about 1 tbl/sp : 1 litre).

      Finally, remember Limoncillo should always be served chilled. Enjoy!

    • John Wisbey
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 4, 2004
        Hi, Harry, Many thanks for that most interesting and informative posting on cloudiness. I will give you suggestions a try next time.

        Ciao for now

        John Wisbey

      • kalag02
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 6, 2004
          Gday Harry,
          What about if making caramel for colouring, what can you recomend to
          avoid the sediment?
          Yhanks for your help.
          Ken

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 6, 2004
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "kalag02" <kengrady@d...>
            wrote:
            > Gday Harry,
            > What about if making caramel for colouring, what can you recomend
            > avoid the sediment?
            > Yhanks for your help.
            > Ken

            Try using less heat when making your caramel. It doesn't need to be
            boiled. This only burns the sugar and gives it a very acrid taste.
            If you're getting sediment from colouring, there's really only two
            ways you can go.

            1. Buy a commercial caramel colouring agent (E150).
            2. Make your own, colour your alcohol, let it settle out in the
            bottle, decant the clean stuff & throw the dregs back into your next
            brew.