Re: [new_distillers] Cost of Copper Pipe

  • Austin Smith
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 3 11:40 AM
      I don't believe that I have ever seen 2" copper in a retail store. Going to a metals recycler or scrap metal yard is probably your best bet for short length of large diameter copper & stainless.

    • Jacques
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 3 3:50 PM
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Austin Smith" <asmith1@b...>
        wrote:
        > I don't believe that I have ever seen 2" copper in a retail
        store. Going to a metals recycler or scrap metal yard is probably
        your best bet for short length of large diameter copper & stainless.

        try here for all sorts of copper, fittings,
        etc...http://www.mcmaster.com/
        they will even deliver UPS to you.
        You know, it's just money.

        Mark
      • Tom Windwillow
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 4 1:21 AM
          In Maryland and in California Home Depot carries 2"
          copper pipe for $38.71 per 10ft section.
          usahardware.com carries fittings and tubing as well as
          plumbingworld.com. So Make three sell two use the
          profits to buy your yeast and adjuntive supplies.

          > >Do you Yahoo!?
          > >Yahoo! Small Business $15K Web Design Giveaway -
          > Enter today
          > >
          > >[Non-text portions of this message have been
          > removed]
          > >

          > > New Distillers group archives are at
          > http://archive.nnytech.net/
          > > FAQ and other information available at
          > http://homedistiller.org
          > >

          > >Yahoo! Groups Links
          > >

          > Derek Hamlet
          > Victoria, B.C.
          >

          > New Distillers group archives are at
          > http://archive.nnytech.net/
          > FAQ and other information available at
          > http://homedistiller.org

          > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

          > removed]

        • grayson_stewart66
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 4 1:58 PM
            Just curious, do most people in this group not have local plumbing
            contractors in their area...say in the yellow pages for those in the
            U.S. I was quoted some high pipe prices by a pipe supplier and
            started calling licsensed plumbers. On my first call I found one
            less than a mile from the house willing to sell me a new piece of 2
            inch diamter, thin walled copper pipe, 5 foot long for $5.
          • jerrykrautenstaben
            Message 5 of 16 , May 6, 2004
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Zarklan Zhaphedoix
              <fermentsindarkness@y...> wrote:
              > I currently have a stainless steel clamp on a keg still and I am
              working on my own ultimate scary still design but when pricing 2"
              copper pipe I found that it is extremely expensive. I called two
              local suppliers and the quotes were 4.61/foot and 5.60/foot both
              suppliers with a 20 foot minimum. Is this about what everyone is
              paying?

              This guy is selling 2 inch copper pipe on ebay. The item number is
              3814416406 or just search for "2 inch copper pipe".
            • seaker350
              Message 6 of 16 , May 6, 2004
                Okay, big secret. If you have a Sears Hardware store near you(notice
                I said HARDWARE) they should have 2" copper pipe for around $58.00
                for a 10 foot section. That's right. Go to your nearest Sears
                Hardware store to pick up a 10 foot section for $58.00 (or just
                under) and don't worry about shipping and handling. This is not
                available at one of their run of the mill mall stores. I know this
                as fact as I work at one such place. All the other size copper pipes
                doubled in price recently, but the 2" stayed the same. Go figure
                retail... And leave some for me. As I mentioned, I work at a Sears
                hardware store and have to save up to buy a piece...
              • Me_Myself & I

                  Message 8 of 16 , May 7, 2004
                    You could also try scrap metal supplies, when the big plumbing
                    contractors need a few dollars to buy beer for the work Christmas
                    party they will take the copper and cash it in. My first few stills
                    were made from perfectly good scrap copper (The insides were
                    completely clean apart from a little dust) I don't think I paid more
                    than a few dollars per kilo... the expense came with the fittings
                    and packing - the still I currently use ( good old fashioned VM
                    compound still) probably didn't cost me more than $50 to build -
                    minus the solder and torch. With a good design you can reduce the
                    amount of fittings needed too... this is defiantly not a hobby that
                    needs alot of money to get good results...

                    Shop around!! I'm sure you will be able to find copper at a similar
                    price.! :)

                    cheers
                    Jim

                    Oh... and that's Aussie dollars!...