Re: [new_distillers] Cost of Copper Pipe

  • Zarklan Zhaphedoix
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 3, 2004
      The big box stores here (South Carolina) don't carry 2" diameter Cu++ pipe. For the larger diameter pipe you have to go to a commercial place.

      Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...> wrote:I don't know where you are, but, in North America the standard length in
      most plumbing supply shops is 12 feet. So, 20??????? I'm assuming that
      the price difference you found is thick walled vs. thin walled. The thin
      wall (cheaper) will work just fine in a still.
      At 09:23 AM 02/04/2004, you wrote:
      >I currently have a stainless steel clamp on a keg still and I am working
      >on my own ultimate scary still design but when pricing 2" copper pipe I
      >found that it is extremely expensive. I called two local suppliers and
      >the quotes were 4.61/foot and 5.60/foot both suppliers with a 20 foot
      >minimum. Is this about what everyone is paying?

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

      Derek Hamlet
      Victoria, B.C.

    • Austin Smith
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 3, 2004
        I don't believe that I have ever seen 2" copper in a retail store. Going to a metals recycler or scrap metal yard is probably your best bet for short length of large diameter copper & stainless.

      • Jacques
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 3, 2004
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Austin Smith" <asmith1@b...>
          wrote:
          > I don't believe that I have ever seen 2" copper in a retail
          store. Going to a metals recycler or scrap metal yard is probably
          your best bet for short length of large diameter copper & stainless.

          try here for all sorts of copper, fittings,
          etc...http://www.mcmaster.com/
          they will even deliver UPS to you.
          You know, it's just money.

          Mark
        • Tom Windwillow
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 4, 2004
            In Maryland and in California Home Depot carries 2"
            copper pipe for $38.71 per 10ft section.
            usahardware.com carries fittings and tubing as well as
            plumbingworld.com. So Make three sell two use the
            profits to buy your yeast and adjuntive supplies.

            > >Do you Yahoo!?
            > >Yahoo! Small Business $15K Web Design Giveaway -
            > Enter today
            > >
            > >[Non-text portions of this message have been
            > removed]
            > >

            > > New Distillers group archives are at
            > http://archive.nnytech.net/
            > > FAQ and other information available at
            > http://homedistiller.org
            > >

            > >Yahoo! Groups Links
            > >

            > Derek Hamlet
            > Victoria, B.C.
            >

            > New Distillers group archives are at
            > http://archive.nnytech.net/
            > FAQ and other information available at
            > http://homedistiller.org

            > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

            > removed]

          • grayson_stewart66
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 4, 2004
              Just curious, do most people in this group not have local plumbing
              contractors in their area...say in the yellow pages for those in the
              U.S. I was quoted some high pipe prices by a pipe supplier and
              started calling licsensed plumbers. On my first call I found one
              less than a mile from the house willing to sell me a new piece of 2
              inch diamter, thin walled copper pipe, 5 foot long for $5.
            • jerrykrautenstaben
              Message 6 of 16 , May 6, 2004
                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Zarklan Zhaphedoix
                <fermentsindarkness@y...> wrote:
                > I currently have a stainless steel clamp on a keg still and I am
                working on my own ultimate scary still design but when pricing 2"
                copper pipe I found that it is extremely expensive. I called two
                local suppliers and the quotes were 4.61/foot and 5.60/foot both
                suppliers with a 20 foot minimum. Is this about what everyone is
                paying?

                This guy is selling 2 inch copper pipe on ebay. The item number is
                3814416406 or just search for "2 inch copper pipe".
              • seaker350
                Message 7 of 16 , May 6, 2004
                  Okay, big secret. If you have a Sears Hardware store near you(notice
                  I said HARDWARE) they should have 2" copper pipe for around $58.00
                  for a 10 foot section. That's right. Go to your nearest Sears
                  Hardware store to pick up a 10 foot section for $58.00 (or just
                  under) and don't worry about shipping and handling. This is not
                  available at one of their run of the mill mall stores. I know this
                  as fact as I work at one such place. All the other size copper pipes
                  doubled in price recently, but the 2" stayed the same. Go figure
                  retail... And leave some for me. As I mentioned, I work at a Sears
                  hardware store and have to save up to buy a piece...
                • Me_Myself & I

                    Message 9 of 16 , May 7, 2004
                      You could also try scrap metal supplies, when the big plumbing
                      contractors need a few dollars to buy beer for the work Christmas
                      party they will take the copper and cash it in. My first few stills
                      were made from perfectly good scrap copper (The insides were
                      completely clean apart from a little dust) I don't think I paid more
                      than a few dollars per kilo... the expense came with the fittings
                      and packing - the still I currently use ( good old fashioned VM
                      compound still) probably didn't cost me more than $50 to build -
                      minus the solder and torch. With a good design you can reduce the
                      amount of fittings needed too... this is defiantly not a hobby that
                      needs alot of money to get good results...

                      Shop around!! I'm sure you will be able to find copper at a similar
                      price.! :)

                      cheers
                      Jim

                      Oh... and that's Aussie dollars!...