Re: filtering

  • Robert N
    Message 1 of 34 , Apr 2, 2004
      _____

      From: seaker350 [mailto:seaker350@...]

      Long time reader, first time posting. Straight out, I just want to thank
      everyone for an open, intelligent exchange of information. That said, I have
      what might prove to be a very dumb question. I have checked many of the
      commercially available carafe or pitcher style filter systems (the type that
      water is poured in the top and water is gravity fed through the filter,
      usually while in a refrigerator). I know they use an activated carbon
      filter, and are used to filter out sedimentation and odors. Would this not
      work for filtering spirits? With multiple passes? Anyone with experience
      using one for this purpose?

      Robert N dinks_c@... responded with:

      Seaker there is nothing dumb about asking questions to educate yourself,
      fact is dumb bastards don't ask questions.

      Problem with that type of filter system (Brita and others) is that the
      carbon used in these filters is not suitable for alcohol, just like aquarium
      carbon filters. They are also constructed out of plastic and over time won't
      usually stand up to the ethanol. The leached chemicals are believed by some
      to cause cancer.

      Yours in Spirit

      Robert

    • Lindsay Williams
      Message 34 of 34 , Mar 8, 2006
        I certainly wouldn't use fibre-glass. I sure as hell wouldn't want
        fibres of glass in my stomach, especially as there are other safer
        products. People have used cotton wool and even tampons!! Coffee
        filters are also used. These would be better than blotting paper as
        they are made for liquid filtering.

        The key to good filtering is to make sure the etoh is in contact with
        the carbon for an appreciable time and to ensure that the etoh can't
        track through the carbon. So feeding from the bottom is a good idea
        and the Still Spirits Z filter uses this principle. Others feed from
        the top and use an outlet valve to control the flow rate.

        Cheers,
        Lindsay.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "parkst5356" <parkst5356@...>