Re: [new_distillers] Cost of Copper Pipe

  • David Lunsford
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 2, 2004
      I gues I am fortunate, as I got most of my copper from friendly plumbers on
      jobsites for free. Just tell them what you need it for, and they usually
      will gladly help out, especially if you offer them a bit of the
      product.....Dave

      At 09:23 AM 4/2/2004 -0800, you wrote:
      > " Is this about what everyone is paying?

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • phantomfisho
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 2, 2004
        Hi,

        Try a scrap metal yard. The second one I visited had two big skips
        full of copper scraps. It cost me $20 to collect enough materials to
        build my SP fractionating column still. It included a 2 metre piece
        of 2" pipe.

        They charge by the kilo, not by the millimetre! ;-)

        Cheers,

        PhantoFisho
      • ernie
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 2, 2004
          you should be able to go to a hardware store and buy the length that you
          need,or at least to the closest foot

          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 3, 2004
            The big box stores here (South Carolina) don't carry 2" diameter Cu++ pipe. For the larger diameter pipe you have to go to a commercial place.

            Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...> wrote:I don't know where you are, but, in North America the standard length in
            most plumbing supply shops is 12 feet. So, 20??????? I'm assuming that
            the price difference you found is thick walled vs. thin walled. The thin
            wall (cheaper) will work just fine in a still.
            At 09:23 AM 02/04/2004, you wrote:
            >I currently have a stainless steel clamp on a keg still and I am working
            >on my own ultimate scary still design but when pricing 2" copper pipe I
            >found that it is extremely expensive. I called two local suppliers and
            >the quotes were 4.61/foot and 5.60/foot both suppliers with a 20 foot
            >minimum. Is this about what everyone is paying?

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

            Derek Hamlet
            Victoria, B.C.

          • Austin Smith
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 3, 2004
              I don't believe that I have ever seen 2" copper in a retail store. Going to a metals recycler or scrap metal yard is probably your best bet for short length of large diameter copper & stainless.

            • Jacques
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 3, 2004
                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Austin Smith" <asmith1@b...>
                wrote:
                > I don't believe that I have ever seen 2" copper in a retail
                store. Going to a metals recycler or scrap metal yard is probably
                your best bet for short length of large diameter copper & stainless.

                try here for all sorts of copper, fittings,
                etc...http://www.mcmaster.com/
                they will even deliver UPS to you.
                You know, it's just money.

                Mark
              • Tom Windwillow
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 4, 2004
                  In Maryland and in California Home Depot carries 2"
                  copper pipe for $38.71 per 10ft section.
                  usahardware.com carries fittings and tubing as well as
                  plumbingworld.com. So Make three sell two use the
                  profits to buy your yeast and adjuntive supplies.

                  > >Do you Yahoo!?
                  > >Yahoo! Small Business $15K Web Design Giveaway -
                  > Enter today
                  > >
                  > >[Non-text portions of this message have been
                  > removed]
                  > >

                  > > New Distillers group archives are at
                  > http://archive.nnytech.net/
                  > > FAQ and other information available at
                  > http://homedistiller.org
                  > >

                  > >Yahoo! Groups Links
                  > >

                  > Derek Hamlet
                  > Victoria, B.C.
                  >

                  > New Distillers group archives are at
                  > http://archive.nnytech.net/
                  > FAQ and other information available at
                  > http://homedistiller.org

                  > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

                  > removed]

                • grayson_stewart66
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 4, 2004
                    Just curious, do most people in this group not have local plumbing
                    contractors in their area...say in the yellow pages for those in the
                    U.S. I was quoted some high pipe prices by a pipe supplier and
                    started calling licsensed plumbers. On my first call I found one
                    less than a mile from the house willing to sell me a new piece of 2
                    inch diamter, thin walled copper pipe, 5 foot long for $5.
                  • jerrykrautenstaben
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 6, 2004
                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Zarklan Zhaphedoix
                      <fermentsindarkness@y...> wrote:
                      > I currently have a stainless steel clamp on a keg still and I am
                      working on my own ultimate scary still design but when pricing 2"
                      copper pipe I found that it is extremely expensive. I called two
                      local suppliers and the quotes were 4.61/foot and 5.60/foot both
                      suppliers with a 20 foot minimum. Is this about what everyone is
                      paying?

                      This guy is selling 2 inch copper pipe on ebay. The item number is
                      3814416406 or just search for "2 inch copper pipe".
                    • seaker350
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 6, 2004
                        Okay, big secret. If you have a Sears Hardware store near you(notice
                        I said HARDWARE) they should have 2" copper pipe for around $58.00
                        for a 10 foot section. That's right. Go to your nearest Sears
                        Hardware store to pick up a 10 foot section for $58.00 (or just
                        under) and don't worry about shipping and handling. This is not
                        available at one of their run of the mill mall stores. I know this
                        as fact as I work at one such place. All the other size copper pipes
                        doubled in price recently, but the 2" stayed the same. Go figure
                        retail... And leave some for me. As I mentioned, I work at a Sears
                        hardware store and have to save up to buy a piece...
                      • Me_Myself & I

                          Message 12 of 16 , May 7, 2004
                            You could also try scrap metal supplies, when the big plumbing
                            contractors need a few dollars to buy beer for the work Christmas
                            party they will take the copper and cash it in. My first few stills
                            were made from perfectly good scrap copper (The insides were
                            completely clean apart from a little dust) I don't think I paid more
                            than a few dollars per kilo... the expense came with the fittings
                            and packing - the still I currently use ( good old fashioned VM
                            compound still) probably didn't cost me more than $50 to build -
                            minus the solder and torch. With a good design you can reduce the
                            amount of fittings needed too... this is defiantly not a hobby that
                            needs alot of money to get good results...

                            Shop around!! I'm sure you will be able to find copper at a similar
                            price.! :)

                            cheers
                            Jim

                            Oh... and that's Aussie dollars!...