Re: [new_distillers] Cost of Copper Pipe

  • Kim Walker
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 2 1:48 PM
      The standard sold by supply houses in the US is 20 feet lengths. Copper
      is sold mostly in thicknesses K, L, M , with K (sometimes called blue
      copper) having the thickest wall and M (sometimes called red copper) the
      thinest wall. In the southeast US it is priced about $75 for a 20 ft
      lenght of 2 " pipe. No one in this area will sell shorter lenghts
      except one farmer's hardware that has 10 foot lengths for $63 each. I
      made my unit out of 1-1/2 pipe for $33 for a 10 ft length....(I'm cheap
      and it gives me room to improve.....)

      Locally a 1-1/2 inch T costs about $7....a 1-1/2 pipe cap costs $3....a
      threaded male adapter is about $7.50....one place on the internet is
      priced pretty good and has everything.....http://www.plumbingsupply.com/

      Kim

      Derek Hamlet wrote:

      > I don't know where you are, but, in North America the standard length in
      > most plumbing supply shops is 12 feet. So, 20??????? I'm assuming that
      > the price difference you found is thick walled vs. thin walled. The
      > thin
      > wall (cheaper) will work just fine in a still.
      > At 09:23 AM 02/04/2004, you wrote:
      > >I currently have a stainless steel clamp on a keg still and I am working
      > >on my own ultimate scary still design but when pricing 2" copper pipe I
      > >found that it is extremely expensive. I called two local suppliers and
      > >the quotes were 4.61/foot and 5.60/foot both suppliers with a 20 foot
      > >minimum. Is this about what everyone is paying?

      > >Yahoo! Groups Links
      > >

      > Derek Hamlet
      > Victoria, B.C.

    • David Lunsford
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 2 2:23 PM
        I gues I am fortunate, as I got most of my copper from friendly plumbers on
        jobsites for free. Just tell them what you need it for, and they usually
        will gladly help out, especially if you offer them a bit of the
        product.....Dave

        At 09:23 AM 4/2/2004 -0800, you wrote:
        > " Is this about what everyone is paying?

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • phantomfisho
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 2 2:26 PM
          Hi,

          Try a scrap metal yard. The second one I visited had two big skips
          full of copper scraps. It cost me $20 to collect enough materials to
          build my SP fractionating column still. It included a 2 metre piece
          of 2" pipe.

          They charge by the kilo, not by the millimetre! ;-)

          Cheers,

          PhantoFisho
        • ernie
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 2 3:13 PM
            you should be able to go to a hardware store and buy the length that you
            need,or at least to the closest foot

            > I currently have a stainless steel clamp on a keg still and I am working
            on my own ultimate scary still design but when pricing 2" copper pipe I
            found that it is extremely expensive. I called two local suppliers and the
            quotes were 4.61/foot and 5.60/foot both suppliers with a 20 foot minimum.
            Is this about what everyone is paying?

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Zarklan Zhaphedoix
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 3 9:39 AM
              The big box stores here (South Carolina) don't carry 2" diameter Cu++ pipe. For the larger diameter pipe you have to go to a commercial place.

              Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...> wrote:I don't know where you are, but, in North America the standard length in
              most plumbing supply shops is 12 feet. So, 20??????? I'm assuming that
              the price difference you found is thick walled vs. thin walled. The thin
              wall (cheaper) will work just fine in a still.
              At 09:23 AM 02/04/2004, you wrote:
              >I currently have a stainless steel clamp on a keg still and I am working
              >on my own ultimate scary still design but when pricing 2" copper pipe I
              >found that it is extremely expensive. I called two local suppliers and
              >the quotes were 4.61/foot and 5.60/foot both suppliers with a 20 foot
              >minimum. Is this about what everyone is paying?

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

              Derek Hamlet
              Victoria, B.C.

            • Austin Smith
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 3 11:40 AM
                I don't believe that I have ever seen 2" copper in a retail store. Going to a metals recycler or scrap metal yard is probably your best bet for short length of large diameter copper & stainless.

              • Jacques
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 3 3:50 PM
                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Austin Smith" <asmith1@b...>
                  wrote:
                  > I don't believe that I have ever seen 2" copper in a retail
                  store. Going to a metals recycler or scrap metal yard is probably
                  your best bet for short length of large diameter copper & stainless.

                  try here for all sorts of copper, fittings,
                  etc...http://www.mcmaster.com/
                  they will even deliver UPS to you.
                  You know, it's just money.

                  Mark
                • Tom Windwillow
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 4 1:21 AM
                    In Maryland and in California Home Depot carries 2"
                    copper pipe for $38.71 per 10ft section.
                    usahardware.com carries fittings and tubing as well as
                    plumbingworld.com. So Make three sell two use the
                    profits to buy your yeast and adjuntive supplies.

                    > >Do you Yahoo!?
                    > >Yahoo! Small Business $15K Web Design Giveaway -
                    > Enter today
                    > >
                    > >[Non-text portions of this message have been
                    > removed]
                    > >

                    > > New Distillers group archives are at
                    > http://archive.nnytech.net/
                    > > FAQ and other information available at
                    > http://homedistiller.org
                    > >

                    > >Yahoo! Groups Links
                    > >

                    > Derek Hamlet
                    > Victoria, B.C.
                    >

                    > New Distillers group archives are at
                    > http://archive.nnytech.net/
                    > FAQ and other information available at
                    > http://homedistiller.org

                    > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

                    > removed]

                  • grayson_stewart66
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 4 1:58 PM
                      Just curious, do most people in this group not have local plumbing
                      contractors in their area...say in the yellow pages for those in the
                      U.S. I was quoted some high pipe prices by a pipe supplier and
                      started calling licsensed plumbers. On my first call I found one
                      less than a mile from the house willing to sell me a new piece of 2
                      inch diamter, thin walled copper pipe, 5 foot long for $5.
                    • jerrykrautenstaben
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 6, 2004
                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Zarklan Zhaphedoix
                        <fermentsindarkness@y...> wrote:
                        > I currently have a stainless steel clamp on a keg still and I am
                        working on my own ultimate scary still design but when pricing 2"
                        copper pipe I found that it is extremely expensive. I called two
                        local suppliers and the quotes were 4.61/foot and 5.60/foot both
                        suppliers with a 20 foot minimum. Is this about what everyone is
                        paying?

                        This guy is selling 2 inch copper pipe on ebay. The item number is
                        3814416406 or just search for "2 inch copper pipe".
                      • seaker350
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 6, 2004
                          Okay, big secret. If you have a Sears Hardware store near you(notice
                          I said HARDWARE) they should have 2" copper pipe for around $58.00
                          for a 10 foot section. That's right. Go to your nearest Sears
                          Hardware store to pick up a 10 foot section for $58.00 (or just
                          under) and don't worry about shipping and handling. This is not
                          available at one of their run of the mill mall stores. I know this
                          as fact as I work at one such place. All the other size copper pipes
                          doubled in price recently, but the 2" stayed the same. Go figure
                          retail... And leave some for me. As I mentioned, I work at a Sears
                          hardware store and have to save up to buy a piece...
                        • Me_Myself & I
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 7, 2004
                            ...:>)...check your local plumbing contractors and their suppliers....often they have pieces of those 20 ft sections laying around...they really have no use for them but they are too valuable to throw away....I have bought several 6-8 ft sections of 2 in copper for $1-$2 per ft...looks like I need to sell some on EBAY...:>)

                            Message 13 of 16 , May 7, 2004
                              You could also try scrap metal supplies, when the big plumbing
                              contractors need a few dollars to buy beer for the work Christmas
                              party they will take the copper and cash it in. My first few stills
                              were made from perfectly good scrap copper (The insides were
                              completely clean apart from a little dust) I don't think I paid more
                              than a few dollars per kilo... the expense came with the fittings
                              and packing - the still I currently use ( good old fashioned VM
                              compound still) probably didn't cost me more than $50 to build -
                              minus the solder and torch. With a good design you can reduce the
                              amount of fittings needed too... this is defiantly not a hobby that
                              needs alot of money to get good results...

                              Shop around!! I'm sure you will be able to find copper at a similar
                              price.! :)

                              cheers
                              Jim

                              Oh... and that's Aussie dollars!...