Re: [new_distillers] Cost of Copper Pipe

  • Derek Hamlet
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 2, 2004
      I don't know where you are, but, in North America the standard length in
      most plumbing supply shops is 12 feet. So, 20??????? I'm assuming that
      the price difference you found is thick walled vs. thin walled. The thin
      wall (cheaper) will work just fine in a still.
      At 09:23 AM 02/04/2004, you wrote:
      >I currently have a stainless steel clamp on a keg still and I am working
      >on my own ultimate scary still design but when pricing 2" copper pipe I
      >found that it is extremely expensive. I called two local suppliers and
      >the quotes were 4.61/foot and 5.60/foot both suppliers with a 20 foot
      >minimum. Is this about what everyone is paying?

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

      Derek Hamlet
      Victoria, B.C.
    • Kim Walker
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 2, 2004
        The standard sold by supply houses in the US is 20 feet lengths. Copper
        is sold mostly in thicknesses K, L, M , with K (sometimes called blue
        copper) having the thickest wall and M (sometimes called red copper) the
        thinest wall. In the southeast US it is priced about $75 for a 20 ft
        lenght of 2 " pipe. No one in this area will sell shorter lenghts
        except one farmer's hardware that has 10 foot lengths for $63 each. I
        made my unit out of 1-1/2 pipe for $33 for a 10 ft length....(I'm cheap
        and it gives me room to improve.....)

        Locally a 1-1/2 inch T costs about $7....a 1-1/2 pipe cap costs $3....a
        threaded male adapter is about $7.50....one place on the internet is
        priced pretty good and has everything.....http://www.plumbingsupply.com/

        Kim

        Derek Hamlet wrote:

        > I don't know where you are, but, in North America the standard length in
        > most plumbing supply shops is 12 feet. So, 20??????? I'm assuming that
        > the price difference you found is thick walled vs. thin walled. The
        > thin
        > wall (cheaper) will work just fine in a still.
        > At 09:23 AM 02/04/2004, you wrote:
        > >I currently have a stainless steel clamp on a keg still and I am working
        > >on my own ultimate scary still design but when pricing 2" copper pipe I
        > >found that it is extremely expensive. I called two local suppliers and
        > >the quotes were 4.61/foot and 5.60/foot both suppliers with a 20 foot
        > >minimum. Is this about what everyone is paying?

        > >Yahoo! Groups Links
        > >

        > Derek Hamlet
        > Victoria, B.C.

      • David Lunsford
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 2, 2004
          I gues I am fortunate, as I got most of my copper from friendly plumbers on
          jobsites for free. Just tell them what you need it for, and they usually
          will gladly help out, especially if you offer them a bit of the
          product.....Dave

          At 09:23 AM 4/2/2004 -0800, you wrote:
          > " Is this about what everyone is paying?

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • phantomfisho
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 2, 2004
            Hi,

            Try a scrap metal yard. The second one I visited had two big skips
            full of copper scraps. It cost me $20 to collect enough materials to
            build my SP fractionating column still. It included a 2 metre piece
            of 2" pipe.

            They charge by the kilo, not by the millimetre! ;-)

            Cheers,

            PhantoFisho
          • ernie
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 2, 2004
              you should be able to go to a hardware store and buy the length that you
              need,or at least to the closest foot

              > I currently have a stainless steel clamp on a keg still and I am working
              on my own ultimate scary still design but when pricing 2" copper pipe I
              found that it is extremely expensive. I called two local suppliers and the
              quotes were 4.61/foot and 5.60/foot both suppliers with a 20 foot minimum.
              Is this about what everyone is paying?

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Zarklan Zhaphedoix
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 3, 2004
                The big box stores here (South Carolina) don't carry 2" diameter Cu++ pipe. For the larger diameter pipe you have to go to a commercial place.

                Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...> wrote:I don't know where you are, but, in North America the standard length in
                most plumbing supply shops is 12 feet. So, 20??????? I'm assuming that
                the price difference you found is thick walled vs. thin walled. The thin
                wall (cheaper) will work just fine in a still.
                At 09:23 AM 02/04/2004, you wrote:
                >I currently have a stainless steel clamp on a keg still and I am working
                >on my own ultimate scary still design but when pricing 2" copper pipe I
                >found that it is extremely expensive. I called two local suppliers and
                >the quotes were 4.61/foot and 5.60/foot both suppliers with a 20 foot
                >minimum. Is this about what everyone is paying?

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

                Derek Hamlet
                Victoria, B.C.

              • Austin Smith
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 3, 2004
                  I don't believe that I have ever seen 2" copper in a retail store. Going to a metals recycler or scrap metal yard is probably your best bet for short length of large diameter copper & stainless.

                • Jacques
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 3, 2004
                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Austin Smith" <asmith1@b...>
                    wrote:
                    > I don't believe that I have ever seen 2" copper in a retail
                    store. Going to a metals recycler or scrap metal yard is probably
                    your best bet for short length of large diameter copper & stainless.

                    try here for all sorts of copper, fittings,
                    etc...http://www.mcmaster.com/
                    they will even deliver UPS to you.
                    You know, it's just money.

                    Mark
                  • Tom Windwillow
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 4, 2004
                      In Maryland and in California Home Depot carries 2"
                      copper pipe for $38.71 per 10ft section.
                      usahardware.com carries fittings and tubing as well as
                      plumbingworld.com. So Make three sell two use the
                      profits to buy your yeast and adjuntive supplies.

                      > >Do you Yahoo!?
                      > >Yahoo! Small Business $15K Web Design Giveaway -
                      > Enter today
                      > >
                      > >[Non-text portions of this message have been
                      > removed]
                      > >

                      > > New Distillers group archives are at
                      > http://archive.nnytech.net/
                      > > FAQ and other information available at
                      > http://homedistiller.org
                      > >

                      > >Yahoo! Groups Links
                      > >

                      > Derek Hamlet
                      > Victoria, B.C.
                      >

                      > New Distillers group archives are at
                      > http://archive.nnytech.net/
                      > FAQ and other information available at
                      > http://homedistiller.org

                      > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

                      > removed]

                    • grayson_stewart66
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 4, 2004
                        Just curious, do most people in this group not have local plumbing
                        contractors in their area...say in the yellow pages for those in the
                        U.S. I was quoted some high pipe prices by a pipe supplier and
                        started calling licsensed plumbers. On my first call I found one
                        less than a mile from the house willing to sell me a new piece of 2
                        inch diamter, thin walled copper pipe, 5 foot long for $5.
                      • jerrykrautenstaben
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 6, 2004
                          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Zarklan Zhaphedoix
                          <fermentsindarkness@y...> wrote:
                          > I currently have a stainless steel clamp on a keg still and I am
                          working on my own ultimate scary still design but when pricing 2"
                          copper pipe I found that it is extremely expensive. I called two
                          local suppliers and the quotes were 4.61/foot and 5.60/foot both
                          suppliers with a 20 foot minimum. Is this about what everyone is
                          paying?

                          This guy is selling 2 inch copper pipe on ebay. The item number is
                          3814416406 or just search for "2 inch copper pipe".
                        • seaker350
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 6, 2004
                            Okay, big secret. If you have a Sears Hardware store near you(notice
                            I said HARDWARE) they should have 2" copper pipe for around $58.00
                            for a 10 foot section. That's right. Go to your nearest Sears
                            Hardware store to pick up a 10 foot section for $58.00 (or just
                            under) and don't worry about shipping and handling. This is not
                            available at one of their run of the mill mall stores. I know this
                            as fact as I work at one such place. All the other size copper pipes
                            doubled in price recently, but the 2" stayed the same. Go figure
                            retail... And leave some for me. As I mentioned, I work at a Sears
                            hardware store and have to save up to buy a piece...
                          • Me_Myself & I

                              Message 14 of 16 , May 7, 2004
                                You could also try scrap metal supplies, when the big plumbing
                                contractors need a few dollars to buy beer for the work Christmas
                                party they will take the copper and cash it in. My first few stills
                                were made from perfectly good scrap copper (The insides were
                                completely clean apart from a little dust) I don't think I paid more
                                than a few dollars per kilo... the expense came with the fittings
                                and packing - the still I currently use ( good old fashioned VM
                                compound still) probably didn't cost me more than $50 to build -
                                minus the solder and torch. With a good design you can reduce the
                                amount of fittings needed too... this is defiantly not a hobby that
                                needs alot of money to get good results...

                                Shop around!! I'm sure you will be able to find copper at a similar
                                price.! :)

                                cheers
                                Jim

                                Oh... and that's Aussie dollars!...