Re: [new_distillers] Cost of Copper Pipe

  • Derek Hamlet
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 2 11:59 AM
      I don't know where you are, but, in North America the standard length in
      most plumbing supply shops is 12 feet. So, 20??????? I'm assuming that
      the price difference you found is thick walled vs. thin walled. The thin
      wall (cheaper) will work just fine in a still.
      At 09:23 AM 02/04/2004, you wrote:
      >I currently have a stainless steel clamp on a keg still and I am working
      >on my own ultimate scary still design but when pricing 2" copper pipe I
      >found that it is extremely expensive. I called two local suppliers and
      >the quotes were 4.61/foot and 5.60/foot both suppliers with a 20 foot
      >minimum. Is this about what everyone is paying?

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

      Derek Hamlet
      Victoria, B.C.
    • Joel G
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 2 12:25 PM
        Check with your local supply companies and plumbing contractors....frequently they have pieces of the 20 foot pipes which they cant readidly use but dont want to throw away....I have constructed several stills using these pieces....also,if you use some copper packing in a SS column,the benifit of using copper is still there....I have both copper and SS columns and I prefer my SS,with copper mesh packing,over the others...:>)
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 2 1:48 PM
          The standard sold by supply houses in the US is 20 feet lengths. Copper
          is sold mostly in thicknesses K, L, M , with K (sometimes called blue
          copper) having the thickest wall and M (sometimes called red copper) the
          thinest wall. In the southeast US it is priced about $75 for a 20 ft
          lenght of 2 " pipe. No one in this area will sell shorter lenghts
          except one farmer's hardware that has 10 foot lengths for $63 each. I
          made my unit out of 1-1/2 pipe for $33 for a 10 ft length....(I'm cheap
          and it gives me room to improve.....)

          Locally a 1-1/2 inch T costs about $7....a 1-1/2 pipe cap costs $3....a
          threaded male adapter is about $7.50....one place on the internet is
          priced pretty good and has everything.....http://www.plumbingsupply.com/

          Kim

          Derek Hamlet wrote:

          > I don't know where you are, but, in North America the standard length in
          > most plumbing supply shops is 12 feet. So, 20??????? I'm assuming that
          > the price difference you found is thick walled vs. thin walled. The
          > thin
          > wall (cheaper) will work just fine in a still.
          > At 09:23 AM 02/04/2004, you wrote:
          > >I currently have a stainless steel clamp on a keg still and I am working
          > >on my own ultimate scary still design but when pricing 2" copper pipe I
          > >found that it is extremely expensive. I called two local suppliers and
          > >the quotes were 4.61/foot and 5.60/foot both suppliers with a 20 foot
          > >minimum. Is this about what everyone is paying?

          > >Yahoo! Groups Links
          > >

          > Derek Hamlet
          > Victoria, B.C.

        • David Lunsford
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 2 2:23 PM
            I gues I am fortunate, as I got most of my copper from friendly plumbers on
            jobsites for free. Just tell them what you need it for, and they usually
            will gladly help out, especially if you offer them a bit of the
            product.....Dave

            At 09:23 AM 4/2/2004 -0800, you wrote:
            > " Is this about what everyone is paying?

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • phantomfisho
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 2 2:26 PM
              Hi,

              Try a scrap metal yard. The second one I visited had two big skips
              full of copper scraps. It cost me $20 to collect enough materials to
              build my SP fractionating column still. It included a 2 metre piece
              of 2" pipe.

              They charge by the kilo, not by the millimetre! ;-)

              Cheers,

              PhantoFisho
            • ernie
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 2 3:13 PM
                you should be able to go to a hardware store and buy the length that you
                need,or at least to the closest foot

                > I currently have a stainless steel clamp on a keg still and I am working
                on my own ultimate scary still design but when pricing 2" copper pipe I
                found that it is extremely expensive. I called two local suppliers and the
                quotes were 4.61/foot and 5.60/foot both suppliers with a 20 foot minimum.
                Is this about what everyone is paying?

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Zarklan Zhaphedoix
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 3 9:39 AM
                  The big box stores here (South Carolina) don't carry 2" diameter Cu++ pipe. For the larger diameter pipe you have to go to a commercial place.

                  Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...> wrote:I don't know where you are, but, in North America the standard length in
                  most plumbing supply shops is 12 feet. So, 20??????? I'm assuming that
                  the price difference you found is thick walled vs. thin walled. The thin
                  wall (cheaper) will work just fine in a still.
                  At 09:23 AM 02/04/2004, you wrote:
                  >I currently have a stainless steel clamp on a keg still and I am working
                  >on my own ultimate scary still design but when pricing 2" copper pipe I
                  >found that it is extremely expensive. I called two local suppliers and
                  >the quotes were 4.61/foot and 5.60/foot both suppliers with a 20 foot
                  >minimum. Is this about what everyone is paying?

                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Derek Hamlet
                  Victoria, B.C.

                • Austin Smith
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 3 11:40 AM
                    I don't believe that I have ever seen 2" copper in a retail store. Going to a metals recycler or scrap metal yard is probably your best bet for short length of large diameter copper & stainless.

                  • Jacques
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 3 3:50 PM
                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Austin Smith" <asmith1@b...>
                      wrote:
                      > I don't believe that I have ever seen 2" copper in a retail
                      store. Going to a metals recycler or scrap metal yard is probably
                      your best bet for short length of large diameter copper & stainless.

                      try here for all sorts of copper, fittings,
                      etc...http://www.mcmaster.com/
                      they will even deliver UPS to you.
                      You know, it's just money.

                      Mark
                    • Tom Windwillow
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 4 1:21 AM
                        In Maryland and in California Home Depot carries 2"
                        copper pipe for $38.71 per 10ft section.
                        usahardware.com carries fittings and tubing as well as
                        plumbingworld.com. So Make three sell two use the
                        profits to buy your yeast and adjuntive supplies.

                        > >Do you Yahoo!?
                        > >Yahoo! Small Business $15K Web Design Giveaway -
                        > Enter today
                        > >
                        > >[Non-text portions of this message have been
                        > removed]
                        > >

                        > > New Distillers group archives are at
                        > http://archive.nnytech.net/
                        > > FAQ and other information available at
                        > http://homedistiller.org
                        > >

                        > >Yahoo! Groups Links
                        > >

                        > Derek Hamlet
                        > Victoria, B.C.
                        >

                        > New Distillers group archives are at
                        > http://archive.nnytech.net/
                        > FAQ and other information available at
                        > http://homedistiller.org

                        > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

                        > removed]

                      • grayson_stewart66
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 4 1:58 PM
                          Just curious, do most people in this group not have local plumbing
                          contractors in their area...say in the yellow pages for those in the
                          U.S. I was quoted some high pipe prices by a pipe supplier and
                          started calling licsensed plumbers. On my first call I found one
                          less than a mile from the house willing to sell me a new piece of 2
                          inch diamter, thin walled copper pipe, 5 foot long for $5.
                        • jerrykrautenstaben
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 6, 2004
                            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Zarklan Zhaphedoix
                            <fermentsindarkness@y...> wrote:
                            > I currently have a stainless steel clamp on a keg still and I am
                            working on my own ultimate scary still design but when pricing 2"
                            copper pipe I found that it is extremely expensive. I called two
                            local suppliers and the quotes were 4.61/foot and 5.60/foot both
                            suppliers with a 20 foot minimum. Is this about what everyone is
                            paying?

                            This guy is selling 2 inch copper pipe on ebay. The item number is
                            3814416406 or just search for "2 inch copper pipe".
                          • seaker350
                            Message 13 of 16 , May 6, 2004
                              Okay, big secret. If you have a Sears Hardware store near you(notice
                              I said HARDWARE) they should have 2" copper pipe for around $58.00
                              for a 10 foot section. That's right. Go to your nearest Sears
                              Hardware store to pick up a 10 foot section for $58.00 (or just
                              under) and don't worry about shipping and handling. This is not
                              available at one of their run of the mill mall stores. I know this
                              as fact as I work at one such place. All the other size copper pipes
                              doubled in price recently, but the 2" stayed the same. Go figure
                              retail... And leave some for me. As I mentioned, I work at a Sears
                              hardware store and have to save up to buy a piece...
                            • Me_Myself & I

                                Message 15 of 16 , May 7, 2004
                                  You could also try scrap metal supplies, when the big plumbing
                                  contractors need a few dollars to buy beer for the work Christmas
                                  party they will take the copper and cash it in. My first few stills
                                  were made from perfectly good scrap copper (The insides were
                                  completely clean apart from a little dust) I don't think I paid more
                                  than a few dollars per kilo... the expense came with the fittings
                                  and packing - the still I currently use ( good old fashioned VM
                                  compound still) probably didn't cost me more than $50 to build -
                                  minus the solder and torch. With a good design you can reduce the
                                  amount of fittings needed too... this is defiantly not a hobby that
                                  needs alot of money to get good results...

                                  Shop around!! I'm sure you will be able to find copper at a similar
                                  price.! :)

                                  cheers
                                  Jim

                                  Oh... and that's Aussie dollars!...