Re: [new_distillers] Re: My First Sugar Wash/and other questions

  • Rana Pipiens
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 2, 2004
      Gatesbox, Does your stove use an electric element or a gas burner and what is the volume of your pot still boiler? Thx, R.

    • gatesbox
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 4, 2004
        > Gatesbox, Does your stove use an electric element or a gas burner
        and what is the volume of your pot still boiler? Thx, R.

        I decided to bite the bullet and run it on the gas burner. I had
        plenty of ventilation and decided to monitor the pot for leaks. By
        the way I found that with six small clamps the seal on the metal to
        metal lid to pot was better than when I tried to use tubing or other
        seals. I bought a set of 4 Pots on ebay and use the largest 20qt
        pot, the whole set was 19.99. I ran 3/4 inch copper out of the lid
        to a long goose neck using 3 (120deg?) elbows twisted to conform to
        a nice long angle. If you are interested I can share parts and
        dimensions. It was very cheap (compared to reflux) and uses only
        copper soldering, hose clamps and inexpensive pvc fittings for the
        condensor.
      • pmbcaton
        Message 3 of 9 , May 24 7:49 PM
          Hell yes, I'd like some info. That sounds almost exactly what I had
          in mind for my very first machine.
          How do those clamps suit you? Any leaks? Do you flour/water paste
          it first?
          Let's say I make a great wort, like an 18%-er. What kind of yied
          can one one expect with one batch in your still and ran through three
          times?
          What's the lyne arm set to? That same angle you were talking about?
          I am excited about this, for I have all but the boiler.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gatesbox" <gatesbox@y...>