Cost of Copper Pipe

  • Zarklan Zhaphedoix
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 2, 2004
      I currently have a stainless steel clamp on a keg still and I am working on my own ultimate scary still design but when pricing 2" copper pipe I found that it is extremely expensive. I called two local suppliers and the quotes were 4.61/foot and 5.60/foot both suppliers with a 20 foot minimum. Is this about what everyone is paying?

    • Derek Hamlet
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 2, 2004
        I don't know where you are, but, in North America the standard length in
        most plumbing supply shops is 12 feet. So, 20??????? I'm assuming that
        the price difference you found is thick walled vs. thin walled. The thin
        wall (cheaper) will work just fine in a still.
        At 09:23 AM 02/04/2004, you wrote:
        >I currently have a stainless steel clamp on a keg still and I am working
        >on my own ultimate scary still design but when pricing 2" copper pipe I
        >found that it is extremely expensive. I called two local suppliers and
        >the quotes were 4.61/foot and 5.60/foot both suppliers with a 20 foot
        >minimum. Is this about what everyone is paying?

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

        Derek Hamlet
        Victoria, B.C.
      • Joel G
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 2, 2004
          Check with your local supply companies and plumbing contractors....frequently they have pieces of the 20 foot pipes which they cant readidly use but dont want to throw away....I have constructed several stills using these pieces....also,if you use some copper packing in a SS column,the benifit of using copper is still there....I have both copper and SS columns and I prefer my SS,with copper mesh packing,over the others...:>)
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 2, 2004
            The standard sold by supply houses in the US is 20 feet lengths. Copper
            is sold mostly in thicknesses K, L, M , with K (sometimes called blue
            copper) having the thickest wall and M (sometimes called red copper) the
            thinest wall. In the southeast US it is priced about $75 for a 20 ft
            lenght of 2 " pipe. No one in this area will sell shorter lenghts
            except one farmer's hardware that has 10 foot lengths for $63 each. I
            made my unit out of 1-1/2 pipe for $33 for a 10 ft length....(I'm cheap
            and it gives me room to improve.....)

            Locally a 1-1/2 inch T costs about $7....a 1-1/2 pipe cap costs $3....a
            threaded male adapter is about $7.50....one place on the internet is
            priced pretty good and has everything.....http://www.plumbingsupply.com/

            Kim

            Derek Hamlet wrote:

            > I don't know where you are, but, in North America the standard length in
            > most plumbing supply shops is 12 feet. So, 20??????? I'm assuming that
            > the price difference you found is thick walled vs. thin walled. The
            > thin
            > wall (cheaper) will work just fine in a still.
            > At 09:23 AM 02/04/2004, you wrote:
            > >I currently have a stainless steel clamp on a keg still and I am working
            > >on my own ultimate scary still design but when pricing 2" copper pipe I
            > >found that it is extremely expensive. I called two local suppliers and
            > >the quotes were 4.61/foot and 5.60/foot both suppliers with a 20 foot
            > >minimum. Is this about what everyone is paying?

            > >Yahoo! Groups Links
            > >

            > Derek Hamlet
            > Victoria, B.C.

          • David Lunsford
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 2, 2004
              I gues I am fortunate, as I got most of my copper from friendly plumbers on
              jobsites for free. Just tell them what you need it for, and they usually
              will gladly help out, especially if you offer them a bit of the
              product.....Dave

              At 09:23 AM 4/2/2004 -0800, you wrote:
              > " Is this about what everyone is paying?

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • phantomfisho
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 2, 2004
                Hi,

                Try a scrap metal yard. The second one I visited had two big skips
                full of copper scraps. It cost me $20 to collect enough materials to
                build my SP fractionating column still. It included a 2 metre piece
                of 2" pipe.

                They charge by the kilo, not by the millimetre! ;-)

                Cheers,

                PhantoFisho
              • ernie
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 2, 2004
                  you should be able to go to a hardware store and buy the length that you
                  need,or at least to the closest foot

                  > I currently have a stainless steel clamp on a keg still and I am working
                  on my own ultimate scary still design but when pricing 2" copper pipe I
                  found that it is extremely expensive. I called two local suppliers and the
                  quotes were 4.61/foot and 5.60/foot both suppliers with a 20 foot minimum.
                  Is this about what everyone is paying?

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Zarklan Zhaphedoix
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 3, 2004
                    The big box stores here (South Carolina) don't carry 2" diameter Cu++ pipe. For the larger diameter pipe you have to go to a commercial place.

                    Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...> wrote:I don't know where you are, but, in North America the standard length in
                    most plumbing supply shops is 12 feet. So, 20??????? I'm assuming that
                    the price difference you found is thick walled vs. thin walled. The thin
                    wall (cheaper) will work just fine in a still.
                    At 09:23 AM 02/04/2004, you wrote:
                    >I currently have a stainless steel clamp on a keg still and I am working
                    >on my own ultimate scary still design but when pricing 2" copper pipe I
                    >found that it is extremely expensive. I called two local suppliers and
                    >the quotes were 4.61/foot and 5.60/foot both suppliers with a 20 foot
                    >minimum. Is this about what everyone is paying?

                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    Derek Hamlet
                    Victoria, B.C.

                  • Austin Smith
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 3, 2004
                      I don't believe that I have ever seen 2" copper in a retail store. Going to a metals recycler or scrap metal yard is probably your best bet for short length of large diameter copper & stainless.

                    • Jacques
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 3, 2004
                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Austin Smith" <asmith1@b...>
                        wrote:
                        > I don't believe that I have ever seen 2" copper in a retail
                        store. Going to a metals recycler or scrap metal yard is probably
                        your best bet for short length of large diameter copper & stainless.

                        try here for all sorts of copper, fittings,
                        etc...http://www.mcmaster.com/
                        they will even deliver UPS to you.
                        You know, it's just money.

                        Mark
                      • Tom Windwillow
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 4, 2004
                          In Maryland and in California Home Depot carries 2"
                          copper pipe for $38.71 per 10ft section.
                          usahardware.com carries fittings and tubing as well as
                          plumbingworld.com. So Make three sell two use the
                          profits to buy your yeast and adjuntive supplies.

                          > >Do you Yahoo!?
                          > >Yahoo! Small Business $15K Web Design Giveaway -
                          > Enter today
                          > >
                          > >[Non-text portions of this message have been
                          > removed]
                          > >

                          > > New Distillers group archives are at
                          > http://archive.nnytech.net/
                          > > FAQ and other information available at
                          > http://homedistiller.org
                          > >

                          > >Yahoo! Groups Links
                          > >

                          > Derek Hamlet
                          > Victoria, B.C.
                          >

                          > New Distillers group archives are at
                          > http://archive.nnytech.net/
                          > FAQ and other information available at
                          > http://homedistiller.org

                          > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

                          > removed]

                        • grayson_stewart66
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 4, 2004
                            Just curious, do most people in this group not have local plumbing
                            contractors in their area...say in the yellow pages for those in the
                            U.S. I was quoted some high pipe prices by a pipe supplier and
                            started calling licsensed plumbers. On my first call I found one
                            less than a mile from the house willing to sell me a new piece of 2
                            inch diamter, thin walled copper pipe, 5 foot long for $5.
                          • jerrykrautenstaben
                            Message 13 of 16 , May 6, 2004
                              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Zarklan Zhaphedoix
                              <fermentsindarkness@y...> wrote:
                              > I currently have a stainless steel clamp on a keg still and I am
                              working on my own ultimate scary still design but when pricing 2"
                              copper pipe I found that it is extremely expensive. I called two
                              local suppliers and the quotes were 4.61/foot and 5.60/foot both
                              suppliers with a 20 foot minimum. Is this about what everyone is
                              paying?

                              This guy is selling 2 inch copper pipe on ebay. The item number is
                              3814416406 or just search for "2 inch copper pipe".
                            • seaker350
                              Message 14 of 16 , May 6, 2004
                                Okay, big secret. If you have a Sears Hardware store near you(notice
                                I said HARDWARE) they should have 2" copper pipe for around $58.00
                                for a 10 foot section. That's right. Go to your nearest Sears
                                Hardware store to pick up a 10 foot section for $58.00 (or just
                                under) and don't worry about shipping and handling. This is not
                                available at one of their run of the mill mall stores. I know this
                                as fact as I work at one such place. All the other size copper pipes
                                doubled in price recently, but the 2" stayed the same. Go figure
                                retail... And leave some for me. As I mentioned, I work at a Sears
                                hardware store and have to save up to buy a piece...
                              • Me_Myself & I

                                  Message 16 of 16 , May 7, 2004
                                    You could also try scrap metal supplies, when the big plumbing
                                    contractors need a few dollars to buy beer for the work Christmas
                                    party they will take the copper and cash it in. My first few stills
                                    were made from perfectly good scrap copper (The insides were
                                    completely clean apart from a little dust) I don't think I paid more
                                    than a few dollars per kilo... the expense came with the fittings
                                    and packing - the still I currently use ( good old fashioned VM
                                    compound still) probably didn't cost me more than $50 to build -
                                    minus the solder and torch. With a good design you can reduce the
                                    amount of fittings needed too... this is defiantly not a hobby that
                                    needs alot of money to get good results...

                                    Shop around!! I'm sure you will be able to find copper at a similar
                                    price.! :)

                                    cheers
                                    Jim

                                    Oh... and that's Aussie dollars!...