Re: My First Sugar Wash/and other questions

  • gatesbox
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2004
      Thanks, great explanation. I have been messing with my first
      fermented turbo for quite some time and I still think that it has
      some "off" odors after using the amazing still, then running through
      a very simple pot still, and now a more sophisticated pot still that
      is a mini me version inspired by brainselnoid's fine pot still. the
      third time through I hit a nice 80% with very minimal odor/flavor.
      But I still blame my sensitive odors on the original wash. I have
      added some essences now and am waiting to see if they mask the
      inperfections (top shelf classic rum, and TN whiskey w/ a bag of
      chips soaking)

      I am encouraged now that you may be contributing to a better
      flavored wash, good to know, let us know how it tastes out of the
      still.

      Another question for the group, does traditional (i.e potato)wash
      produce a more crisp vodka?

      Have other folks had the same problem with residual turbo funkiness?
    • txbajabill
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2004
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gatesbox" <gatesbox@y...>
        wrote:
        > Thanks, great explanation. I have been messing with my first
        > fermented turbo for quite some time and I still think that it has
        > some "off" odors after using the amazing still, then running
        through the same problem with residual turbo funkiness? <<SNIP>>

        I have a question for you regarding your "off" flavor and the turbo
        wash. Did use activated carbon on your distillate to polish out the
        odors? Another question I have regards the settling/fining of the
        finished ferment. With my next fermentation I was going to use
        straight sugar and turbo to see the difference. I noticed on the
        directions a comment that due to the particular strain of yeast in
        the turbo, filtering with a wine filter was necessary. It read that
        the yeast would not settle naturally, but remain in suspension. From
        what I've read, yeast in the boiler would contribute to "off" odors
        and tastes in the distillate.

        I'm wondering what the most efficient way of getting a clear wash
        after fermentation. I have bentonite to fine the wash, but am
        wondering if egg whites or some other clearing agent would be better
        before siphoning wash off the yeast cake.

        baja
      • gatesbox
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 2, 2004
          Yes I think we may be talking about the same turbo. Liquor quick I
          think was the brand. Anyway, it did not settle even after an ample
          fermentation time (5 days) and I did not use a wine filter to filter
          the yeast. The "off" flavor has been almost eliminated but it has
          taken several runs as I said. I don't know how other clearing agents
          will work, but If I was going to use a turbo again I would filter the
          wash. I did use some charcoal but as per other strings in the group
          I have not built a very good filter yet. I am hoping the slight
          residual flavor/odor will be masked by essences and aging in oak.

          Honestly I don't know if I would advocate turbo yeast. As I have
          gained a bit more confidence in the distilling process producing a
          totally neuteral spirit seems somewhat less attractive than
          expirementing with whisky, schnapps, and other flavored spirits.
          This is also why I have become more content with my stove top pot
          still.
        • Rana Pipiens
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 2, 2004
            Gatesbox, Does your stove use an electric element or a gas burner and what is the volume of your pot still boiler? Thx, R.

          • gatesbox
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 4, 2004
              > Gatesbox, Does your stove use an electric element or a gas burner
              and what is the volume of your pot still boiler? Thx, R.

              I decided to bite the bullet and run it on the gas burner. I had
              plenty of ventilation and decided to monitor the pot for leaks. By
              the way I found that with six small clamps the seal on the metal to
              metal lid to pot was better than when I tried to use tubing or other
              seals. I bought a set of 4 Pots on ebay and use the largest 20qt
              pot, the whole set was 19.99. I ran 3/4 inch copper out of the lid
              to a long goose neck using 3 (120deg?) elbows twisted to conform to
              a nice long angle. If you are interested I can share parts and
              dimensions. It was very cheap (compared to reflux) and uses only
              copper soldering, hose clamps and inexpensive pvc fittings for the
              condensor.
            • pmbcaton
              Message 6 of 9 , May 24 7:49 PM
                Hell yes, I'd like some info. That sounds almost exactly what I had
                in mind for my very first machine.
                How do those clamps suit you? Any leaks? Do you flour/water paste
                it first?
                Let's say I make a great wort, like an 18%-er. What kind of yied
                can one one expect with one batch in your still and ran through three
                times?
                What's the lyne arm set to? That same angle you were talking about?
                I am excited about this, for I have all but the boiler.