RE: [new_distillers] Q?s: Electric element for heating?

  • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 16, 2001
      Tone,

      I disagree with the element sizing recommended by Stone & Nixon. I reckon
      you can run any sized element, provided you get the right diameter column.

      I've quite happily run their design, with a 1.5" diameter column, with 1800W
      heat input. Scaling this up (based on cross-sectional area), a 2" column
      should be ok with 3200W. Note however that this requires a packing with
      very high voidage (e.g. stainless steel scrubbers) - you've never achieve it
      with say marbles or raschig rings for packing.

      These larger sizes have the huge benefit of reducing the distilling time. I
      can process 25L of wash, and collect 95%+ spirit, in four hours.

      Tony
    • slacker75@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 17, 2001
        Tony,
        I'm afraid my column is a very small diameter! it's only 28mm
        (probably about 1" ID). A while back i asked if this column was too
        small, and everyone seemed to think it would be ok, just slow. I'm
        pretty sure a 3Kw element would flood this diam!

        -tone

        --- In new_distillers@y..., "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)"
        <Tony.Ackland@c...> wrote:
        > Tone,
        >
        > I've quite happily run their design, with a 1.5" diameter column,
        with 1800W
        > heat input. Scaling this up (based on cross-sectional area), a 2"
        column
        > should be ok with 3200W. Note however that this requires a packing
        with
        > very high voidage (e.g. stainless steel scrubbers) - you've never
        achieve it
        > with say marbles or raschig rings for packing.
        >
        > These larger sizes have the huge benefit of reducing the distilling
        time. I
        > can process 25L of wash, and collect 95%+ spirit, in four hours.
        >
        > Tony
      • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 17, 2001
          Tone,

          Sorry - didn't have your original post re 1" diameter. I'd assumed you'd
          built it as per their recomendations of 1.25" or 1.5" (and some have upped
          it to 2"). Scaling my 1800W per 1.5" down to 1" would suggest approx 800W
          as being suitable, or 1250W for 1.25" You're right - this will be quite
          slow.

          Its the 2" that i reckon can do 3kW. Sorry for any confusion over that.

          Note that my scalings are only based on one example which I've found to work
          for me. I haven't tried the other sizes; the various emails on these
          discussion groups show that quite a range of different sizes and heat inputs
          work well. So there's quite a bit of latitude in what should be OK.

          I use to run a 1" column (briefly) myself - with 1380W. This was too much
          power for it, and it would flood very easily. Would it run ok with 1100W
          was your question ? I think it would still be touch and go, but possible.
          You'd need to ensure that you haven't packed the scrubbers in too densly,
          and that you keep them really clean (backflush with boiling water before &
          after every use).

          Tony

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • distiller@mafudesigns.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 18, 2001
            Apologies if this comes through multiple times (eventually!) - I've
            sent this twice, and its not showing up on the messages index....

            Hi again everyone,

            OK. Heres where I'm at - I've got all the bits, and they a ready to
            be put together, now I just want to check no-one thinks I should
            modify anything before I actually solder it together on Thursday.

            I'm building a Nixon/Stone design, from the 'How to make pure corn
            whiskey' book by Ian Smiley. I've scaled up the size a little - here
            are the details:

            Column. Is made from 2" Copper, and is 1200 long. I've put a bsp
            tube join between the column and head, which is made from brass, so I
            caneasily remove the head. At the bottom of the column, there is
            another 2" brass bsp tube fitting, which goes into the stainless
            steel socket welded to the top of the boiler - so I can remove the
            comumn as well.

            Boiler. The boiler is a 60L 316 Stainless drum, which Jan put me on
            to (thanks Jan!!!!), and I'll put 2 1380 watt elements in it, both
            used to heat up, only one for boiling.

            Head. Again made from 2" copper. At the T, there is a 180mm
            horizontal section, going to the elbow, then a 370mm verticle section
            for the condenser to go in. On the top of the T, 50mm of tube, then
            a tube cap, with a 40mm 3/8" copper pipe, attatched to a series of
            compression fittings and adapters, eventually to hold the 3mm
            stainless steel probe of the digital thermometer. At the bottom of
            the elbow, anothe 3/8" 40mm copper pipe is soldered to take the
            product down through th needle valve, and eventually to the waiting
            mouths!

            All the brass has been treated to get rid of surface lead.

            I've put some photos in the files section, to show it all a bit
            clearer:

            s.jpg> - The head

            jpg> - The 60L boiler

            arts.jpg> - The bottom of the column

            .jpg> - A composite of two photos to show the entire column/head.

            All I want to check is that everything is 100% right, 'cause I can
            change it now, but I can't easily later!

            Thanks,

            Matt