My First Sugar Wash!

  • txbajabill
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 31, 2004
      I wanted to share the recipe for my first sugar wash with the group.
      It has yet to finish fermentation, but is progressing quite strongly.
      I am quite excited and eagerly anticipating the end result!

      To begin, I boiled 3 gallons of tap water, allowed it to cool and
      drained it into a pre-sanitized (cleaned with a rinse free beer
      brewer's cleanser and sanitized with rinse free iodophor sanitizer,
      as were any piece of equipment to touch the unfermented wash) 5-
      gallon glass carboy. This was the water which would be used to dilute
      the finished wort.

      Next, 1/2 pound of crushed, 6-row crystal malt barley and 1/4 pound
      of enriched yellow ground corn meal were placed in a nylon fine mesh
      steeping bag and allowed to steep in 1 gallon of 140 deg F tap water
      for 90 minutes. They were then boiled for 45 minutes. Another gallon
      of tap water was added and brought to boil.

      When the mixture was boiling again, one 12-oz cone of piloncillo
      oscuro (a cone-shaped unrefined Mexican brown sugar also known as
      panela or panocha; see:
      http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/piloncillomexicansugar.htm
      was added, as well as 2 pounds of regular brown sugar and 10 pounds
      of white cane sugar (total 12.75lb or roughly 6 kg sugar) were added.
      approximately 1 oz of lemon juice and 25-30 g of acid blend were
      added to aid in the inversion of the sugar. The mixture was boiled
      for 15 minutes. 25-30 g of general yeast nutrients (a mixture of
      diammonium phosphate and food grade urea I bought from the local brew
      shop) was then added. The wort was then placed in an ice-bath in the
      kitchen sink and diluted with the 3 gallons of previously boiled
      water originally set aside. One multi-vitamin tablet and two cups of
      orange juice were added to aid nutrition of and prevent
      compaction/autolysis of the yeast, respectively.

      Two 5 g packets of Lavlin EC-1118 champagne yeast were rehydrated in
      100 ml of boiled tap water that was allowed to cool to 104 deg F for
      15 minutes. The yeast was then pitched into the 5 gallons of wort
      when it reached approximately 85 deg F and stirred/aerated vigorously
      with the sterilized handle of a stirring-spoon and bubbled through a
      sterilized poly hose (my siphoning hose). After the bung and airlock
      were placed onto the carboy, it began bubbling within 10-15 minutes
      and hasn't stopped since.

      Thanks for the opportunity to share! I am very excited to see how
      this project finishes! Feel free to comment and let me know what you
      think; I will post back when I'm done.

      Baja Bill
    • gatesbox
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2004
        sorry for my uneducated curiosity but what are you trying to make as
        your finished product? The recipe sounds interesting but so
        complicated for a simple high yield sugar wash. What are the
        benefits to your choice of sugars, corn, etc? It seems you must be
        going for a certain flavor in your finished spirit. Perhaps others
        can explain also what the benefits of adding various ingredients to
        the wash. Are the lemon, corn, multiple sugars in place of yeast
        nutrients for a stable fermentation?
      • txbajabill
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1, 2004
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gatesbox" <gatesbox@y...>
          wrote:
          > sorry for my uneducated curiosity but what are you trying to make
          as
          > your finished product? The recipe sounds interesting but so
          > complicated for a simple high yield sugar wash. What are the
          > benefits to your choice of sugars, corn, etc? It seems you must be
          > going for a certain flavor in your finished spirit. Perhaps others
          > can explain also what the benefits of adding various ingredients to
          > the wash. Are the lemon, corn, multiple sugars in place of yeast
          > nutrients for a stable fermentation?

          Good question, for which I have a half-answer! The overall goal was
          for a successful fermentation, but also to see what kind of flavor I
          could yield from the wash. I'll be honest, I don't quite know what
          flavor this will cook up. My first two runs were pure water, and the
          third run I made was with 4 liters of 12% red wine and 350 ml of
          nasty sugar cane brandy (some old bottle of Berretega Mexican sugar
          cane brandy; tasted like bitter pecan shell). I was quite amazed how
          much the flavor of the wine and brandy survived through the reflux
          column and went into the final product. It was a sweet, strong
          grappa/brandy tasting vodka. I would postulate that much of the
          flavor of the wash will carry over through the run.

          First, I would like to credit a few others' recipes and ideas.
          Namely, Mikrobios' recipe, "Wine for Distilling," Dr. Legendre's "One
          Dollar Wash" recipe, Tony Ackland for his wonderful webpage
          and "Jack" for his numerous ideas. My recipe is a piecemeal of data
          and ideas from these sources.

          I used the 6-row crystal malted barley for it's starch, flavor and
          acid buffering capacity. The corn meal was added for starch, flavor
          and the thiamine (B-1) enrichment that is helpful to the yeast. I
          used brown sugar and the Mexican unrefined "piloncillo" brown sugar
          for flavor and nutrients not found in the pure white cane sugar.
          Piloncillo is made from pure unrefined brown sugar and invert syrup.
          The lemon juice provided valuable vitamins and citric acid, which
          along with the Acid Blend (malic, citric, tartaric) helped to invert
          the cane sugar (sucrose) during the 15 minute boil. The inverted
          sugar is easier for the yeast to digest as opposed to straight
          disolved sucrose. The yeast nutrient is self-explanatory, while the
          orange juice also added vitamins, minerals and most importantly,
          cellular structure (pulp) to aid the yeast in the end of fermentation
          by preventing compaction and autolysis of the yeast. The multi-
          vitamin tablet was just additional nutrient, but perhaps unneccesary.

          It will be interesting to see what kind of flavor I'll get from the
          wash. Primarily, I wanted to avoid a stuck fermentation. I'll be
          honest, I was afraid that I had pitched the yeast when the wort was
          too hot and all was for naught. I was very relieved when the
          fermentation took off; it took off like a rocket too!
        • gatesbox
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 1, 2004
            Thanks, great explanation. I have been messing with my first
            fermented turbo for quite some time and I still think that it has
            some "off" odors after using the amazing still, then running through
            a very simple pot still, and now a more sophisticated pot still that
            is a mini me version inspired by brainselnoid's fine pot still. the
            third time through I hit a nice 80% with very minimal odor/flavor.
            But I still blame my sensitive odors on the original wash. I have
            added some essences now and am waiting to see if they mask the
            inperfections (top shelf classic rum, and TN whiskey w/ a bag of
            chips soaking)

            I am encouraged now that you may be contributing to a better
            flavored wash, good to know, let us know how it tastes out of the
            still.

            Another question for the group, does traditional (i.e potato)wash
            produce a more crisp vodka?

            Have other folks had the same problem with residual turbo funkiness?
          • txbajabill
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 1, 2004
              wrote:
              > Thanks, great explanation. I have been messing with my first
              > fermented turbo for quite some time and I still think that it has
              > some "off" odors after using the amazing still, then running
              through the same problem with residual turbo funkiness? <<SNIP>>

              I have a question for you regarding your "off" flavor and the turbo
              wash. Did use activated carbon on your distillate to polish out the
              odors? Another question I have regards the settling/fining of the
              finished ferment. With my next fermentation I was going to use
              straight sugar and turbo to see the difference. I noticed on the
              directions a comment that due to the particular strain of yeast in
              the turbo, filtering with a wine filter was necessary. It read that
              the yeast would not settle naturally, but remain in suspension. From
              what I've read, yeast in the boiler would contribute to "off" odors
              and tastes in the distillate.

              I'm wondering what the most efficient way of getting a clear wash
              after fermentation. I have bentonite to fine the wash, but am
              wondering if egg whites or some other clearing agent would be better
              before siphoning wash off the yeast cake.

              baja
            • gatesbox
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 2, 2004
                Yes I think we may be talking about the same turbo. Liquor quick I
                think was the brand. Anyway, it did not settle even after an ample
                fermentation time (5 days) and I did not use a wine filter to filter
                the yeast. The "off" flavor has been almost eliminated but it has
                taken several runs as I said. I don't know how other clearing agents
                will work, but If I was going to use a turbo again I would filter the
                wash. I did use some charcoal but as per other strings in the group
                I have not built a very good filter yet. I am hoping the slight
                residual flavor/odor will be masked by essences and aging in oak.

                Honestly I don't know if I would advocate turbo yeast. As I have
                gained a bit more confidence in the distilling process producing a
                totally neuteral spirit seems somewhat less attractive than
                expirementing with whisky, schnapps, and other flavored spirits.
                This is also why I have become more content with my stove top pot
                still.
              • Rana Pipiens
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 2, 2004
                  Gatesbox, Does your stove use an electric element or a gas burner and what is the volume of your pot still boiler? Thx, R.

                • gatesbox
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 4, 2004
                    > Gatesbox, Does your stove use an electric element or a gas burner
                    and what is the volume of your pot still boiler? Thx, R.

                    I decided to bite the bullet and run it on the gas burner. I had
                    plenty of ventilation and decided to monitor the pot for leaks. By
                    the way I found that with six small clamps the seal on the metal to
                    metal lid to pot was better than when I tried to use tubing or other
                    seals. I bought a set of 4 Pots on ebay and use the largest 20qt
                    pot, the whole set was 19.99. I ran 3/4 inch copper out of the lid
                    to a long goose neck using 3 (120deg?) elbows twisted to conform to
                    a nice long angle. If you are interested I can share parts and
                    dimensions. It was very cheap (compared to reflux) and uses only
                    copper soldering, hose clamps and inexpensive pvc fittings for the
                    condensor.
                  • pmbcaton
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 24, 2004
                      Hell yes, I'd like some info. That sounds almost exactly what I had
                      in mind for my very first machine.
                      How do those clamps suit you? Any leaks? Do you flour/water paste
                      it first?
                      Let's say I make a great wort, like an 18%-er. What kind of yied
                      can one one expect with one batch in your still and ran through three
                      times?
                      What's the lyne arm set to? That same angle you were talking about?
                      I am excited about this, for I have all but the boiler.