Rum

  • John Wisbey
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 24, 2004
      I am about to distill my first rum mash and would like to age it for a couple of hours before I try it. I managed to get some toasted American oak sawdust at a reasonable price. Can one of our kind contributers advise how much sawdust per litre I should use. There is also a reference in "Preparing a sugar mash" chapter about adding golden syrup to the final product. Will this make the final rum a bit cloudy?
      Many thanks in advance for any help.

      John Wisbey

    • Joel G
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 25, 2004
        Is this a typo?....did you mean to say weeks or months?...:>)...I doubt a couple of hours will make any difference,but let us know what happens...good luck...:>)

        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 25, 2004
          I was only joking about the 2 hours maturation, probably a month or more should do the trick. I picked up some brandy in Cognac last year that had been in wood since 1960. It is excellent, but I am afraid I cant wait that long for my rum.

          John Wisbey
          Is this a typo?....did you mean to say weeks or months?...:>)...I doubt a couple of hours will make any difference,but let us know what happens...good luck...:>)
          "would like to age it for a couple of hours before I try it."
          John Wisbey

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • sumerod04
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 11, 2008
            Trying rum for the first time (only one other run experience making
            apple brandy and it came out sort of OK)used recipe of PK in
            homedistiller.com: for 6 gal. used 11 lbs. molasses, 5 lbs. light brown
            sugar 17% potential alc. 5.2-5.5 pH, 2 packets ec-1118 rehydrated, no
            yeast nutrient (per Hector in the same thread that it's not needed with
            molasses) Kept at 68-70F, Wash slow to start but started bubbling and
            foaming in about 2 days, now 5 days later it's not doing anything.
            Wash is in a primary fermenter, thinking of racking it to a carboy with
            airlock. What went wrong? Can this be salvaged? Got a better recipe?
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 11, 2008
              Sounds like a heck of alot of molassas for a 6 gallon wash. What type
              of molassas did you use???

              Harry and some others are the Rum Experts around here.
              Also does it still taste sweet?

              Vino es Veritas,
              Jim.

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sumerod04" <sumerod04@...>
              wrote:

              > Trying rum for the first time (only one other run experience making
              > apple brandy and it came out sort of OK)used recipe of PK in
              > homedistiller.com: for 6 gal. used 11 lbs. molasses, 5 lbs. light
              brown
              > sugar 17% potential alc. 5.2-5.5 pH, 2 packets ec-1118 rehydrated, no
              > yeast nutrient (per Hector in the same thread that it's not needed
              with
              > molasses) Kept at 68-70F, Wash slow to start but started bubbling and
              > foaming in about 2 days, now 5 days later it's not doing anything.
              > Wash is in a primary fermenter, thinking of racking it to a carboy
              with
              > airlock. What went wrong? Can this be salvaged? Got a better recipe?

            • morganfield1
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 11, 2008
                Hi sumer,

                Did you aerate the wash? This is really important with a mollassas
                wash. Everything else sounds fine. Racking into a carboy MAY make the
                yeast settle and that would be the end of your ferment. What is the
                present SG? If all else fails, you can aerate, pre-start another couple
                packages of 1118 (this is a good yeast for stuck washes), add another 5
                lbs. of brown sugar, and try again. Even though it is not needed with
                mollassas, I always throw in a tablespoon of yeast nutrient, it has
                chems that the mollassas doesn't.

                Tip one, Morgan

                wrote:

                > Trying rum for the first time (only one other run experience making
                > apple brandy and it came out sort of OK)used recipe of PK in
                > homedistiller.com: for 6 gal. used 11 lbs. molasses, 5 lbs. light
                brown
                > sugar 17% potential alc. 5.2-5.5 pH, 2 packets ec-1118 rehydrated, no
                > yeast nutrient (per Hector in the same thread that it's not needed
                with
                > molasses) Kept at 68-70F, Wash slow to start but started bubbling and
                > foaming in about 2 days, now 5 days later it's not doing anything.
                > Wash is in a primary fermenter, thinking of racking it to a carboy
                with
                > airlock. What went wrong? Can this be salvaged? Got a better recipe?

              • arthur doremus
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 11, 2008
                  just saw a comment on here a couple days ago about aerating the wash with an aquarium stone for 4-5 hours and no I didn't.  S.G. now is 1.110.  Can I add yeast nutrient now with more yeast?  Wouldn't an extra 5 lbs sugar be too much?
                  I'm  Art  BTW

                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 11, 2008
                    Used cooking molasses from a local organic store--no preservatives no sulpher and 12% sugar according to the label.  The recipe by PK on homedistiller said 5 Kg molasses per 23 liter and that's 11 pounds per 6 gal,  plus brown sugar up to 17% potential alch.  An yes it does taste sweet!
                    Art

                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 11, 2008
                      Ok Art,

                      What I would do is get another 2 packets of EC-1118, re-activate per
                      instructions.

                      Add about 2 - 3 Tablespoons of yeast nutrient, pitch the new yeast,
                      and start aerating with an aquarium pump and stone for about 5 hours
                      (yes, that was me that said it). Hopefully this will re-start you
                      stuck fermentation..

                      Also, might want to check the expiration date on that yeast, and read
                      this: http://www.eckraus.com/wine-making-failure.html

                      Vino es Veritas,
                      Jim.

                      In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, arthur doremus <sumerod04@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Used cooking molasses from a local organic store--no preservatives
                      no sulpher and 12% sugar according to the label. The recipe by PK on
                      homedistiller said 5 Kg molasses per 23 liter and that's 11 pounds
                      per 6 gal, plus brown sugar up to 17% potential alch. An yes it
                      does taste sweet!
                      > Art
                      >
                      > jamesonbeam1 <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:
                      > Sounds like a heck of alot of molassas for a 6 gallon
                      wash. What type
                      > of molassas did you use???
                      >
                      > Harry and some others are the Rum Experts around here.
                      > Also does it still taste sweet?
                      >
                      > Vino es Veritas,
                      > Jim.
                      >
                      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sumerod04" <sumerod04@>
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Trying rum for the first time (only one other run experience
                      making
                      > > apple brandy and it came out sort of OK)used recipe of PK in
                      > > homedistiller.com: for 6 gal. used 11 lbs. molasses, 5 lbs. light
                      > brown
                      > > sugar 17% potential alc. 5.2-5.5 pH, 2 packets ec-1118
                      rehydrated, no
                      > > yeast nutrient (per Hector in the same thread that it's not
                      needed
                      > with
                      > > molasses) Kept at 68-70F, Wash slow to start but started bubbling
                      and
                      > > foaming in about 2 days, now 5 days later it's not doing
                      anything.
                      > > Wash is in a primary fermenter, thinking of racking it to a
                      carboy
                      > with
                      > > airlock. What went wrong? Can this be salvaged? Got a better
                      recipe?

                      > ---------------------------------
                      Try it now.

                    • Link D'Antoni
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 11, 2008
                        Arthur,

                        My experience is that molasses will ferment out to
                        about half of the potenial alcohol %. If you started
                        with 12%, look for 6-7ish% to ferment out (of the
                        molasses). And then add the sugar potenial. I
                        haven't done the calculation from your info so I'm not
                        sure where your REAL potenial would be.
                        I usually cut my molasses to a 14% wash. When it
                        stops fermenting, approx 7-8%, I add desireable sugars
                        then.

                        Link

                        Looking for last minute shopping deals?
                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 11, 2008
                          <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

                          > Ok Art,
                          >
                          > What I would do is get another 2 packets of EC-1118, re-activate
                          per
                          > instructions.
                          >
                          > Add about 2 - 3 Tablespoons of yeast nutrient, pitch the new yeast,
                          > and start aerating with an aquarium pump and stone for about 5
                          hours
                          > (yes, that was me that said it). Hopefully this will re-start you
                          > stuck fermentation..
                          >
                          > Also, might want to check the expiration date on that yeast, and
                          read
                          > this: http://www.eckraus.com/wine-making-failure.html
                          >
                          > Vino es Veritas,
                          > Jim.

                          And split the wort into two fermenters and add about 2 gallons of
                          water to each one, before you repitch (into both). You can't do high
                          gravity worts when using lots of molasses. Osmotic pressure will
                          always flatten the yeast.

                          Go to my Library (link in sigline) and learn (read) about molasses as
                          a feedstock and it's correct prep.

                        • art
                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 27, 2008
                            Added 2 packets new 1118 proofed yeast per Harry (2weeks ago), restarted fermentation.  4 days ago racked to carboy with airlock at 1.050 SG and still bubbling away.  It's working and I'm not in a hurry so just letting it do it's thing!
                            Art

                            Message 13 of 18 , Apr 6, 2008
                              Just an up-date: S.G. now at 1.034, 68F, and still bubbling away

                              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, art <sumerod04@...> wrote:

                              > Added 2 packets new 1118 proofed yeast per Harry (2weeks ago),
                              restarted fermentation. 4 days ago racked to carboy with airlock at
                              1.050 SG and still bubbling away. It's working and I'm not in a
                              hurry so just letting it do it's thing!
                              > Art
                              >
                              > Link D'Antoni <link2d@...> wrote:
                              > Arthur,
                              >
                              > My experience is that molasses will ferment out to
                              > about half of the potenial alcohol %. If you started
                              > with 12%, look for 6-7ish% to ferment out (of the
                              > molasses). And then add the sugar potenial. I
                              > haven't done the calculation from your info so I'm not
                              > sure where your REAL potenial would be.
                              > I usually cut my molasses to a 14% wash. When it
                              > stops fermenting, approx 7-8%, I add desireable sugars
                              > then.
                              >
                              > Link
                              >
                              > --- arthur doremus <sumerod04@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > Used cooking molasses from a local organic store--no
                              > > preservatives no sulpher and 12% sugar according to
                              > > the label. The recipe by PK on homedistiller said 5
                              > > Kg molasses per 23 liter and that's 11 pounds per 6
                              > > gal, plus brown sugar up to 17% potential alch. An
                              > > yes it does taste sweet!
                              > > Art
                              > >
                              > > jamesonbeam1 <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:
                              > > Sounds like a heck of alot of molassas for
                              > > a 6 gallon wash. What type
                              > > of molassas did you use???
                              > >
                              > > Harry and some others are the Rum Experts around
                              > > here.
                              > > Also does it still taste sweet?
                              > >
                              > > Vino es Veritas,
                              > > Jim.
                              > >
                              > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sumerod04"
                              > > <sumerod04@>
                              > > wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > Trying rum for the first time (only one other run
                              > > experience making
                              > > > apple brandy and it came out sort of OK)used
                              > > recipe of PK in
                              > > > homedistiller.com: for 6 gal. used 11 lbs.
                              > > molasses, 5 lbs. light
                              > > brown
                              > > > sugar 17% potential alc. 5.2-5.5 pH, 2 packets
                              > > ec-1118 rehydrated, no
                              > > > yeast nutrient (per Hector in the same thread that
                              > > it's not needed
                              > > with
                              > > > molasses) Kept at 68-70F, Wash slow to start but
                              > > started bubbling and
                              > > > foaming in about 2 days, now 5 days later it's not
                              > > doing anything.
                              > > > Wash is in a primary fermenter, thinking of
                              > > racking it to a carboy
                              > > with
                              > > > airlock. What went wrong? Can this be salvaged?
                              > > Got a better recipe?
                              > > >

                              > > ---------------------------------
                              > > Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with
                              > > Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

                              > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.
                              >

                              > ---------------------------------

                            • freebee049
                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 28, 2013
                                I just ran my first batch of Rum and it is wonderful. Pretty simple recipe.
                                one gal     bakers molasses
                                15 lbs.     sugar
                                7             gal water
                                3 tbs.      distillers yeast

                                Single slow run though a pot still.
                              • Chris Davis

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Oct 28, 2013
                                      I put it in the fermenter, boiled water,  pured it in and agitated it,  let it cool to 90F and pitched the yeast. Fermented for 3 weeks.
                                      I got 4 qts. of 160 proof rum. If it turns out this good every time I wouldn't change a thing.
                                      freebee

                                      --
                                      A mans worth in life is how people remembered him.
                                      If you can dream it you can do it.
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Oct 28, 2013

                                        What type of yeast?