Re: [new_distillers] Re: New to the group

  • MATTHEW
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 8, 2004
      that is a good site to

      bum_man2003 <bum_man2003@...> wrote:
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, MATTHEW <hntrcomm@s...> wrote:
      > yes i have been doing so much reading the wife is
      > about to leave me (not a good time to bild a still)but
      > what is still kind of open to me is the mash and wash
      > prosess for the reflux still

      Matt,
      Another good source of info for ya is www.stillcooker.com . Happy
      reading!

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
      Click Here

    • Darryl Humby
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 9, 2004
        Hi Matt,
        After you let everything ferment for a couple of
        weeks then you want to let it settle in a cool place
        ie 10-15 deg c . That way all of the yeast will die
        and settle out of your wash. What you want is as clear
        a liquid as possible to put in to your boiler for
        distillation. If you just put everything into your
        boiler you will get boil overs, bad tastes on your
        final product and a really big mess to clean up. Never
        put everything into your boiler and try to distill it
        that way.... You'll know why not to if you ever do!!!!
        With a clear or pretty clear wash you won't end up
        with alot of scum and stuff burnt onto your boiler or
        all over your element if using an internall heater.The
        better your wash, the easier it will be to get a
        higher purity and cleaner product. Less tails and
        heads etc.

        Happy Brewing!
        Bum_man

      • the_wilypig
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 19, 2010
          Hello, My name is Ric. I am a 13 year home brewer, wine maker, cider maker and mead maker. I am very interested in the the process of distillation. I would like to some day be a commercial Eau-de-vie maker. I hope to learn a great deal on this forum. I am a member of several other Yahoo group forums, Brew equipment, Grow hops, and others. I have a great knowledge and experience with fermentation, not just the usual suspects. If yeast will eat it I will ferment it, and in a lot of cases I already have.