Re: [new_distillers] Re: New to the group

  • MATTHEW
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 8, 2004
      thank you for your help

      so the besy way to do this is to

      mix my sugar water and corn meal
      let it ferment about a week or so
      then what do i put into my boiler
      everything or just the fluid

      bum_man2003 <bum_man2003@...> wrote:
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, MATTHEW <hntrcomm@s...> wrote:
      > yes i have been doing so much reading the wife is
      > about to leave me (not a good time to bild a still)but
      > what is still kind of open to me is the mash and wash
      > prosess for the reflux still

      Hi Matt,
      I'm kinda new to this as well but I'll do my best. Now "wash" And
      "mash" both refer to what you are fermenting. There is different ways
      to make a wash depending on what you're trying to do. But if you're
      using a reflux still a plain ol sugar and yeast wash is the cheapest
      way to go. The alcohol distilled in a reflux still will not carry over
      much if any of the "Taste" of your wash as the still pretty well
      removes the flavours depending on your amount of refluxing. There are
      ways of carrying over some of the taste and that is by reducing the
      amount of reflux occuring in your column. The higher your reflux
      ratio,the purer and more tasteless your final product will be. Hope
      this helps.

    • MATTHEW
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 8, 2004
        that is a good site to

        bum_man2003 <bum_man2003@...> wrote:
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, MATTHEW <hntrcomm@s...> wrote:
        > yes i have been doing so much reading the wife is
        > about to leave me (not a good time to bild a still)but
        > what is still kind of open to me is the mash and wash
        > prosess for the reflux still

        Matt,
        Another good source of info for ya is www.stillcooker.com . Happy
        reading!

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
        Click Here

      • Darryl Humby
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 9, 2004
          Hi Matt,
          After you let everything ferment for a couple of
          weeks then you want to let it settle in a cool place
          ie 10-15 deg c . That way all of the yeast will die
          and settle out of your wash. What you want is as clear
          a liquid as possible to put in to your boiler for
          distillation. If you just put everything into your
          boiler you will get boil overs, bad tastes on your
          final product and a really big mess to clean up. Never
          put everything into your boiler and try to distill it
          that way.... You'll know why not to if you ever do!!!!
          With a clear or pretty clear wash you won't end up
          with alot of scum and stuff burnt onto your boiler or
          all over your element if using an internall heater.The
          better your wash, the easier it will be to get a
          higher purity and cleaner product. Less tails and
          heads etc.

          Happy Brewing!
          Bum_man

        • the_wilypig
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 19, 2010
            Hello, My name is Ric. I am a 13 year home brewer, wine maker, cider maker and mead maker. I am very interested in the the process of distillation. I would like to some day be a commercial Eau-de-vie maker. I hope to learn a great deal on this forum. I am a member of several other Yahoo group forums, Brew equipment, Grow hops, and others. I have a great knowledge and experience with fermentation, not just the usual suspects. If yeast will eat it I will ferment it, and in a lot of cases I already have.