New to the group

  • matt
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 8, 2004
      Hello everyone
      I have alwasy dreamed of having my own still and am a lil upset
      about how much work that seems to be involved in doing this
      but i might be reading to much and thinking to hard(i am known for
      that mistake) if anyone would have some free time to chat with me
      please feel free to email me i really need some help

      matt
    • Rana Pipiens
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 8, 2004
        Matt, are you visiting the homedistiller.org site at the bottom of this and all group posts. If not, you will probably find it easier to as specific questions and one of the knowledgeable members will probably be able to help you. Good luck, R

        matt <hntrcomm@...> wrote:Hello everyone
        I have alwasy dreamed of having my own still and am a lil upset
        about how much work that seems to be involved in doing this
        but i might be reading to much and thinking to hard(i am known for
        that mistake) if anyone would have some free time to chat with me
        please feel free to email me i really need some help

        matt

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
        Click Here

      • MATTHEW
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 8, 2004
          yes i have been doing so much reading the wife is
          about to leave me (not a good time to bild a still)but
          what is still kind of open to me is the mash and wash
          prosess for the reflux still

          magtt
          --- Rana Pipiens <ranah2o@...> wrote:
          > Matt, are you visiting the homedistiller.org site at
          > the bottom of this and all group posts. If not, you
          > will probably find it easier to as specific
          > questions and one of the knowledgeable members will
          > probably be able to help you. Good luck, R
          >
          > matt <hntrcomm@...> wrote:Hello everyone
          > I have alwasy dreamed of having my own still and am
          > a lil upset
          > about how much work that seems to be involved in
          > doing this
          > but i might be reading to much and thinking to
          > hard(i am known for
          > that mistake) if anyone would have some free time to
          > chat with me
          > please feel free to email me i really need some help
          >

          > matt
          >

          > New Distillers group archives are at
          > http://archive.nnytech.net/
          > FAQ and other information available at
          > http://homedistiller.org
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
          > Click Here

          > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

          > removed]

        • bum_man2003
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 8, 2004
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, MATTHEW <hntrcomm@s...> wrote:
            > yes i have been doing so much reading the wife is
            > about to leave me (not a good time to bild a still)but
            > what is still kind of open to me is the mash and wash
            > prosess for the reflux still

            Hi Matt,
            I'm kinda new to this as well but I'll do my best. Now "wash" And
            "mash" both refer to what you are fermenting. There is different ways
            to make a wash depending on what you're trying to do. But if you're
            using a reflux still a plain ol sugar and yeast wash is the cheapest
            way to go. The alcohol distilled in a reflux still will not carry over
            much if any of the "Taste" of your wash as the still pretty well
            removes the flavours depending on your amount of refluxing. There are
            ways of carrying over some of the taste and that is by reducing the
            amount of reflux occuring in your column. The higher your reflux
            ratio,the purer and more tasteless your final product will be. Hope
            this helps.
          • bum_man2003
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 8, 2004
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, MATTHEW <hntrcomm@s...> wrote:
              > yes i have been doing so much reading the wife is
              > about to leave me (not a good time to bild a still)but
              > what is still kind of open to me is the mash and wash
              > prosess for the reflux still

              Matt,
              Another good source of info for ya is www.stillcooker.com . Happy
              reading!
            • MATTHEW
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 8, 2004
                thank you for your help

                so the besy way to do this is to

                mix my sugar water and corn meal
                let it ferment about a week or so
                then what do i put into my boiler
                everything or just the fluid

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 8, 2004
                  that is a good site to

                  bum_man2003 <bum_man2003@...> wrote:
                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, MATTHEW <hntrcomm@s...> wrote:
                  > yes i have been doing so much reading the wife is
                  > about to leave me (not a good time to bild a still)but
                  > what is still kind of open to me is the mash and wash
                  > prosess for the reflux still

                  Matt,
                  Another good source of info for ya is www.stillcooker.com . Happy
                  reading!

                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                  Click Here

                • Darryl Humby
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 9, 2004
                    Hi Matt,
                    After you let everything ferment for a couple of
                    weeks then you want to let it settle in a cool place
                    ie 10-15 deg c . That way all of the yeast will die
                    and settle out of your wash. What you want is as clear
                    a liquid as possible to put in to your boiler for
                    distillation. If you just put everything into your
                    boiler you will get boil overs, bad tastes on your
                    final product and a really big mess to clean up. Never
                    put everything into your boiler and try to distill it
                    that way.... You'll know why not to if you ever do!!!!
                    With a clear or pretty clear wash you won't end up
                    with alot of scum and stuff burnt onto your boiler or
                    all over your element if using an internall heater.The
                    better your wash, the easier it will be to get a
                    higher purity and cleaner product. Less tails and
                    heads etc.

                    Happy Brewing!
                    Bum_man

                  • the_wilypig
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 19, 2010
                      Hello, My name is Ric. I am a 13 year home brewer, wine maker, cider maker and mead maker. I am very interested in the the process of distillation. I would like to some day be a commercial Eau-de-vie maker. I hope to learn a great deal on this forum. I am a member of several other Yahoo group forums, Brew equipment, Grow hops, and others. I have a great knowledge and experience with fermentation, not just the usual suspects. If yeast will eat it I will ferment it, and in a lot of cases I already have.