Re: [new_distillers] Re: Pot Still & Rum.

  • Rana Pipiens
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 3 2:12 PM
      I guess that I better put some xxxs on some of what I've made so far. Raxxxa

      Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:--- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Rana Pipiens <ranah2o@y...>
      wrote:
      > Just a thought. Whenever moonshine is depicted in cartoons, the
      jug containing the "juice" has a number of xxxs on it. Anyone know
      where that came from? Could it have something to do with how many
      times it has been run through the still? Rana

      "X" means eXtreme. It's a very old poison rating system dating back
      to the days of alchemy. The more "X's", the more extreme was the
      poison. Hence the use in cartoons to depict moonshine strength.

    • John Wisbey
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 4 12:00 AM
        Hi Rutger,
        I presume the second and third runs are cut down to about 40 abv before distillation

        John Wisbey
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 4 3:50 AM
          > Hi Rutger,
          > I presume the second and third runs are cut down to about 40 abv
          > before distillation

          Right! Well 40 % is notvery high, i tend to cut back tot around 55 %.

          Rutger