Re: Ending SG w/ baker's yeast?

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 3 12:33 PM
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mhorowit@c..."
      <mhorowit@c...> wrote:
      > Harry - thanks, especially for that latter bit about 'potential
      abv'. Now,
      > again with the simple sugar wash, what will happen if the
      potential is well
      > above 14%? - Mike

      Like I said before,

      If your wash had a starting potential abv higher than that, then you
      won't convert all the sugar.  You need higher alcohol tolerant
      yeasts to attain higher percentages.

      You will end up with a very slow ferment (possibly stuck) and a
      sweet wash. You can still run this wash to recover the alcohol, but
      it must be done very slowly (not too much heat) or you risk getting
      a "burnt sugar" foul taste through the product. You may also have a
      sizable cleanup job with your still parts. Liquid sugar is syrup,
      remember.

      A better solution would be to split the original wash into two
      fermenters, top up each with about 50% more water, add nutrients
      (tomato paste or store-bought fermaid or similar) and rehydrate
      another charge of baker's yeast and re-pitch.

      To elaborate further, baker's yeast and high sugar content just
      don't mix. During my 30 or so years as a baker/doughmaker, I made
      many thousands of sweet bun doughs and bread doughs. A standard
      25kg flour for a bread dough requires 1kg of compressed yeast and no
      added sugar. For a sweet dough, the same 25kg flour requires 3kg
      yeast and 2kg sugar, plus the sugar from 2kg of mixed dried fruit.
      You see where I'm going with this? High sugar content retards the
      yeast action because most yeasts (baker's) are susceptible to "sugar
      shock" and either go dormant or die.

      HTH
    • Michael Horowitz
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 3 5:49 PM
        Thanks for the explanation; In a panic, I re-examined my work:
        When I built the wash, I did two things - I used the basic 2#/gal, and then
        adjusted the SG to 1.07.
        After your e-mail, I went to the website and ran what I did thru the
        formula and find that my 2#/gal gave a bit less potential then 14%, so at
        least in theory, I haven't overloaded the yeast with sugar.
        Yeah, I hear you about what yeast to use and it's not hard to find; I'm not
        being stubborn, but others seem to have had luck using baker's yeast and I
        wanted to give it a try.
        Let's give this another day, then if action is still slow, I'll split the
        wash and add water to both halfs. - Mike