Re: [new_distillers] Re: Pot Still & Rum.

  • Rana Pipiens
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
      Just a thought. Whenever moonshine is depicted in cartoons, the jug containing the "juice" has a number of xxxs on it. Anyone know where that came from? Could it have something to do with how many times it has been run through the still? Rana

      ranah2o <ranah2o@...> wrote:Rutger, Thanks for replying. Rana

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
      Click Here

    • theholymackerel
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ranah2o" <ranah2o@y...>
        wrote:
        > Good morning everyone. Does ahyone have any suggestions for the
        > ideal number of times to run a molasses based rum through a pot
        still
        > to achieve the best flavor? Rana

        I think twice is perfect. Once through the still gives LOTS of
        flavor, but requires six months or more for agin'. Three times or
        more through a pot still will make a smooth drink, but doesn't
        really have enough flavor to be called rum.
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Rana Pipiens <ranah2o@y...>
          wrote:
          > Just a thought. Whenever moonshine is depicted in cartoons, the
          jug containing the "juice" has a number of xxxs on it. Anyone know
          where that came from? Could it have something to do with how many
          times it has been run through the still? Rana

          "X" means eXtreme. It's a very old poison rating system dating back
          to the days of alchemy. The more "X's", the more extreme was the
          poison. Hence the use in cartoons to depict moonshine strength.

        • Rana Pipiens
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
            I guess that I better put some xxxs on some of what I've made so far. Raxxxa

            Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:--- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Rana Pipiens <ranah2o@y...>
            wrote:
            > Just a thought. Whenever moonshine is depicted in cartoons, the
            jug containing the "juice" has a number of xxxs on it. Anyone know
            where that came from? Could it have something to do with how many
            times it has been run through the still? Rana

            "X" means eXtreme. It's a very old poison rating system dating back
            to the days of alchemy. The more "X's", the more extreme was the
            poison. Hence the use in cartoons to depict moonshine strength.

          • John Wisbey
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 4, 2004
              Hi Rutger,
              I presume the second and third runs are cut down to about 40 abv before distillation

              John Wisbey
              > Good morning everyone. Does ahyone have any suggestions for the
              > ideal number of times to run a molasses based rum through a pot still
              > to achieve the best flavor? Rana

              Morning? It's almost closing time here!
              To answer your question: at the least twice, better 3 or even 4 times. It
              gets smoother every run. Woldchampion vodka is ran 6 (six!) times. But then
              again, it needs no taste.

              RUtger

            • Rutger Amons
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 4, 2004
                > Hi Rutger,
                > I presume the second and third runs are cut down to about 40 abv
                > before distillation

                Right! Well 40 % is notvery high, i tend to cut back tot around 55 %.

                Rutger