Re: Pot Still & Rum.

  • ranah2o
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
      Rutger, Thanks for replying. Rana
    • Rana Pipiens
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
        Just a thought. Whenever moonshine is depicted in cartoons, the jug containing the "juice" has a number of xxxs on it. Anyone know where that came from? Could it have something to do with how many times it has been run through the still? Rana

        ranah2o <ranah2o@...> wrote:Rutger, Thanks for replying. Rana

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
        Click Here

      • theholymackerel
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ranah2o" <ranah2o@y...>
          wrote:
          > Good morning everyone. Does ahyone have any suggestions for the
          > ideal number of times to run a molasses based rum through a pot
          still
          > to achieve the best flavor? Rana

          I think twice is perfect. Once through the still gives LOTS of
          flavor, but requires six months or more for agin'. Three times or
          more through a pot still will make a smooth drink, but doesn't
          really have enough flavor to be called rum.
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Rana Pipiens <ranah2o@y...>
            wrote:
            > Just a thought. Whenever moonshine is depicted in cartoons, the
            jug containing the "juice" has a number of xxxs on it. Anyone know
            where that came from? Could it have something to do with how many
            times it has been run through the still? Rana

            "X" means eXtreme. It's a very old poison rating system dating back
            to the days of alchemy. The more "X's", the more extreme was the
            poison. Hence the use in cartoons to depict moonshine strength.

          • Rana Pipiens
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
              I guess that I better put some xxxs on some of what I've made so far. Raxxxa

              Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:--- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Rana Pipiens <ranah2o@y...>
              wrote:
              > Just a thought. Whenever moonshine is depicted in cartoons, the
              jug containing the "juice" has a number of xxxs on it. Anyone know
              where that came from? Could it have something to do with how many
              times it has been run through the still? Rana

              "X" means eXtreme. It's a very old poison rating system dating back
              to the days of alchemy. The more "X's", the more extreme was the
              poison. Hence the use in cartoons to depict moonshine strength.

            • John Wisbey
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 4, 2004
                Hi Rutger,
                I presume the second and third runs are cut down to about 40 abv before distillation

                John Wisbey
                > Good morning everyone. Does ahyone have any suggestions for the
                > ideal number of times to run a molasses based rum through a pot still
                > to achieve the best flavor? Rana

                Morning? It's almost closing time here!
                To answer your question: at the least twice, better 3 or even 4 times. It
                gets smoother every run. Woldchampion vodka is ran 6 (six!) times. But then
                again, it needs no taste.

                RUtger

              • Rutger Amons
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 4, 2004
                  > Hi Rutger,
                  > I presume the second and third runs are cut down to about 40 abv
                  > before distillation

                  Right! Well 40 % is notvery high, i tend to cut back tot around 55 %.

                  Rutger