RE: [new_distillers] Pot Still & Rum.

  • Rutger Amons
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
      > Good morning everyone. Does ahyone have any suggestions for the
      > ideal number of times to run a molasses based rum through a pot still
      > to achieve the best flavor? Rana

      Morning? It's almost closing time here!
      To answer your question: at the least twice, better 3 or even 4 times. It
      gets smoother every run. Woldchampion vodka is ran 6 (six!) times. But then
      again, it needs no taste.

      RUtger
    • ranah2o
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
        Rutger, Thanks for replying. Rana
      • Rana Pipiens
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
          Just a thought. Whenever moonshine is depicted in cartoons, the jug containing the "juice" has a number of xxxs on it. Anyone know where that came from? Could it have something to do with how many times it has been run through the still? Rana

          ranah2o <ranah2o@...> wrote:Rutger, Thanks for replying. Rana

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
          Click Here

        • theholymackerel
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ranah2o" <ranah2o@y...>
            wrote:
            > Good morning everyone. Does ahyone have any suggestions for the
            > ideal number of times to run a molasses based rum through a pot
            still
            > to achieve the best flavor? Rana

            I think twice is perfect. Once through the still gives LOTS of
            flavor, but requires six months or more for agin'. Three times or
            more through a pot still will make a smooth drink, but doesn't
            really have enough flavor to be called rum.
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Rana Pipiens <ranah2o@y...>
              wrote:
              > Just a thought. Whenever moonshine is depicted in cartoons, the
              jug containing the "juice" has a number of xxxs on it. Anyone know
              where that came from? Could it have something to do with how many
              times it has been run through the still? Rana

              "X" means eXtreme. It's a very old poison rating system dating back
              to the days of alchemy. The more "X's", the more extreme was the
              poison. Hence the use in cartoons to depict moonshine strength.

            • Rana Pipiens
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
                I guess that I better put some xxxs on some of what I've made so far. Raxxxa

                Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:--- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Rana Pipiens <ranah2o@y...>
                wrote:
                > Just a thought. Whenever moonshine is depicted in cartoons, the
                jug containing the "juice" has a number of xxxs on it. Anyone know
                where that came from? Could it have something to do with how many
                times it has been run through the still? Rana

                "X" means eXtreme. It's a very old poison rating system dating back
                to the days of alchemy. The more "X's", the more extreme was the
                poison. Hence the use in cartoons to depict moonshine strength.

              • John Wisbey
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 4, 2004
                  Hi Rutger,
                  I presume the second and third runs are cut down to about 40 abv before distillation

                  John Wisbey

                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 4, 2004
                    > Hi Rutger,
                    > I presume the second and third runs are cut down to about 40 abv
                    > before distillation

                    Right! Well 40 % is notvery high, i tend to cut back tot around 55 %.

                    Rutger