Pot Still & Rum.

  • ranah2o
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
      Good morning everyone. Does ahyone have any suggestions for the
      ideal number of times to run a molasses based rum through a pot still
      to achieve the best flavor? Rana
    • Rutger Amons
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
        > Good morning everyone. Does ahyone have any suggestions for the
        > ideal number of times to run a molasses based rum through a pot still
        > to achieve the best flavor? Rana

        Morning? It's almost closing time here!
        To answer your question: at the least twice, better 3 or even 4 times. It
        gets smoother every run. Woldchampion vodka is ran 6 (six!) times. But then
        again, it needs no taste.

        RUtger
      • ranah2o
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
          Rutger, Thanks for replying. Rana
        • Rana Pipiens
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
            Just a thought. Whenever moonshine is depicted in cartoons, the jug containing the "juice" has a number of xxxs on it. Anyone know where that came from? Could it have something to do with how many times it has been run through the still? Rana

            ranah2o <ranah2o@...> wrote:Rutger, Thanks for replying. Rana

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
            Click Here

          • theholymackerel
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ranah2o" <ranah2o@y...>
              wrote:
              > Good morning everyone. Does ahyone have any suggestions for the
              > ideal number of times to run a molasses based rum through a pot
              still
              > to achieve the best flavor? Rana

              I think twice is perfect. Once through the still gives LOTS of
              flavor, but requires six months or more for agin'. Three times or
              more through a pot still will make a smooth drink, but doesn't
              really have enough flavor to be called rum.
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Rana Pipiens <ranah2o@y...>
                wrote:
                > Just a thought. Whenever moonshine is depicted in cartoons, the
                jug containing the "juice" has a number of xxxs on it. Anyone know
                where that came from? Could it have something to do with how many
                times it has been run through the still? Rana

                "X" means eXtreme. It's a very old poison rating system dating back
                to the days of alchemy. The more "X's", the more extreme was the
                poison. Hence the use in cartoons to depict moonshine strength.

              • Rana Pipiens
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
                  I guess that I better put some xxxs on some of what I've made so far. Raxxxa

                  Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:--- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Rana Pipiens <ranah2o@y...>
                  wrote:
                  > Just a thought. Whenever moonshine is depicted in cartoons, the
                  jug containing the "juice" has a number of xxxs on it. Anyone know
                  where that came from? Could it have something to do with how many
                  times it has been run through the still? Rana

                  "X" means eXtreme. It's a very old poison rating system dating back
                  to the days of alchemy. The more "X's", the more extreme was the
                  poison. Hence the use in cartoons to depict moonshine strength.

                • John Wisbey
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 4, 2004
                    Hi Rutger,
                    I presume the second and third runs are cut down to about 40 abv before distillation

                    John Wisbey

                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 4, 2004
                      > Hi Rutger,
                      > I presume the second and third runs are cut down to about 40 abv
                      > before distillation

                      Right! Well 40 % is notvery high, i tend to cut back tot around 55 %.

                      Rutger