RE: [new_distillers] Re: Ending SG w/ baker's yeast?

  • mhorowit@cox.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
      Harry - thanks, especially for that latter bit about 'potential abv'. Now,
      again with the simple sugar wash, what will happen if the potential is well
      above 14%? - Mike

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mhorowit@c..."
        <mhorowit@c...> wrote:
        > Harry - thanks, especially for that latter bit about 'potential
        abv'. Now,
        > again with the simple sugar wash, what will happen if the
        potential is well
        > above 14%? - Mike

        Like I said before,

        If your wash had a starting potential abv higher than that, then you
        won't convert all the sugar.  You need higher alcohol tolerant
        yeasts to attain higher percentages.

        You will end up with a very slow ferment (possibly stuck) and a
        sweet wash. You can still run this wash to recover the alcohol, but
        it must be done very slowly (not too much heat) or you risk getting
        a "burnt sugar" foul taste through the product. You may also have a
        sizable cleanup job with your still parts. Liquid sugar is syrup,
        remember.

        A better solution would be to split the original wash into two
        fermenters, top up each with about 50% more water, add nutrients
        (tomato paste or store-bought fermaid or similar) and rehydrate
        another charge of baker's yeast and re-pitch.

        To elaborate further, baker's yeast and high sugar content just
        don't mix. During my 30 or so years as a baker/doughmaker, I made
        many thousands of sweet bun doughs and bread doughs. A standard
        25kg flour for a bread dough requires 1kg of compressed yeast and no
        added sugar. For a sweet dough, the same 25kg flour requires 3kg
        yeast and 2kg sugar, plus the sugar from 2kg of mixed dried fruit.
        You see where I'm going with this? High sugar content retards the
        yeast action because most yeasts (baker's) are susceptible to "sugar
        shock" and either go dormant or die.

        HTH
      • Michael Horowitz
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
          Thanks for the explanation; In a panic, I re-examined my work:
          When I built the wash, I did two things - I used the basic 2#/gal, and then
          adjusted the SG to 1.07.
          After your e-mail, I went to the website and ran what I did thru the
          formula and find that my 2#/gal gave a bit less potential then 14%, so at
          least in theory, I haven't overloaded the yeast with sugar.
          Yeah, I hear you about what yeast to use and it's not hard to find; I'm not
          being stubborn, but others seem to have had luck using baker's yeast and I
          wanted to give it a try.
          Let's give this another day, then if action is still slow, I'll split the
          wash and add water to both halfs. - Mike