Ending SG w/ baker's yeast?

  • Michael Horowitz
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
      What SG should I end with when fermenting a simple sugar wash and using
      Fleishmann's baking yeast? - Mike
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Michael Horowitz
        <mhorowit@c...> wrote:
        > What SG should I end with when fermenting a simple sugar wash and
        using
        > Fleishmann's baking yeast? - Mike

        Anything 1.000 or under is acceptible. Bear in mind though, baker's
        yeast maxes out at around 14% abv. If your wash had a starting
        potential abv higher than that, then you won't convert all the
        sugar. You need higher alcohol tolerant yeasts to attain higher
        percentages.

        HTH
      • mhorowit@cox.net
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
          Harry - thanks, especially for that latter bit about 'potential abv'. Now,
          again with the simple sugar wash, what will happen if the potential is well
          above 14%? - Mike

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mhorowit@c..."
            <mhorowit@c...> wrote:
            > Harry - thanks, especially for that latter bit about 'potential
            abv'. Now,
            > again with the simple sugar wash, what will happen if the
            potential is well
            > above 14%? - Mike

            Like I said before,

            If your wash had a starting potential abv higher than that, then you
            won't convert all the sugar.  You need higher alcohol tolerant
            yeasts to attain higher percentages.

            You will end up with a very slow ferment (possibly stuck) and a
            sweet wash. You can still run this wash to recover the alcohol, but
            it must be done very slowly (not too much heat) or you risk getting
            a "burnt sugar" foul taste through the product. You may also have a
            sizable cleanup job with your still parts. Liquid sugar is syrup,
            remember.

            A better solution would be to split the original wash into two
            fermenters, top up each with about 50% more water, add nutrients
            (tomato paste or store-bought fermaid or similar) and rehydrate
            another charge of baker's yeast and re-pitch.

            To elaborate further, baker's yeast and high sugar content just
            don't mix. During my 30 or so years as a baker/doughmaker, I made
            many thousands of sweet bun doughs and bread doughs. A standard
            25kg flour for a bread dough requires 1kg of compressed yeast and no
            added sugar. For a sweet dough, the same 25kg flour requires 3kg
            yeast and 2kg sugar, plus the sugar from 2kg of mixed dried fruit.
            You see where I'm going with this? High sugar content retards the
            yeast action because most yeasts (baker's) are susceptible to "sugar
            shock" and either go dormant or die.

            HTH
          • Michael Horowitz
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
              Thanks for the explanation; In a panic, I re-examined my work:
              When I built the wash, I did two things - I used the basic 2#/gal, and then
              adjusted the SG to 1.07.
              After your e-mail, I went to the website and ran what I did thru the
              formula and find that my 2#/gal gave a bit less potential then 14%, so at
              least in theory, I haven't overloaded the yeast with sugar.
              Yeah, I hear you about what yeast to use and it's not hard to find; I'm not
              being stubborn, but others seem to have had luck using baker's yeast and I
              wanted to give it a try.
              Let's give this another day, then if action is still slow, I'll split the
              wash and add water to both halfs. - Mike