Re: [new_distillers] Advice on Attaching Heating Elements to Keg

  • Ron Miller
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 2, 2004
      Just use a copper nut (Cut from a 1" copper fitting)
      on the inside of the boiler, the neoprene washer that
      comes with the element seals perfectly around a 1"
      hole.

      Ron
      --- Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...> wrote:
      > I would like to use screw in elements in my
      > stainless keg (boiler)
      > Some folks have mentioned a stainless nut that can
      > be welded to the boiler
      > to facilitate this. I've been checking around and
      > so far haven't found
      > anything.
      > Can someone help me refine my search please?
      >
      > Derek Hamlet
      > Victoria, B.C.

      http://search.yahoo.com
    • Derek Hamlet
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 2, 2004
        Ron,
        Thanks very much, that sound good. So it's nut on the inside, neoprene
        washer on the outside.
        At 05:20 PM 02/03/2004, you wrote:
        > Just use a copper nut (Cut from a 1" copper fitting)
        >on the inside of the boiler, the neoprene washer that
        >comes with the element seals perfectly around a 1"
        >hole.
        >
        >Ron
        >--- Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...> wrote:
        > > I would like to use screw in elements in my
        > > stainless keg (boiler)
        > > Some folks have mentioned a stainless nut that can
        > > be welded to the boiler
        > > to facilitate this. I've been checking around and
        > > so far haven't found
        > > anything.
        > > Can someone help me refine my search please?
        > >
        > > Derek Hamlet
        > > Victoria, B.C.

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

        Derek Hamlet
        Victoria, B.C.
      • Ron Miller
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 2, 2004
          Yeah, that's right. I was a little concerned with the
          radius of the boiler not being flat enough to seal...
          but my boiler is only 13-1/2" in dia and it seals
          perfectly, your keg is considerably larger, therefore
          easier to seal....
          Ron
          --- Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...> wrote:
          > Ron,
          > Thanks very much, that sound good. So it's nut on
          > the inside, neoprene
          > washer on the outside.
          > At 05:20 PM 02/03/2004, you wrote:
          > > Just use a copper nut (Cut from a 1" copper
          > fitting)
          > >on the inside of the boiler, the neoprene washer
          > that
          > >comes with the element seals perfectly around a 1"
          > >hole.
          > >
          > >Ron
          > >--- Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...> wrote:
          > > > I would like to use screw in elements in my
          > > > stainless keg (boiler)
          > > > Some folks have mentioned a stainless nut that
          > can
          > > > be welded to the boiler
          > > > to facilitate this. I've been checking around
          > and
          > > > so far haven't found
          > > > anything.
          > > > Can someone help me refine my search please?
          > > >
          > > > Derek Hamlet
          > > > Victoria, B.C.

          > http://archive.nnytech.net/
          > > FAQ and other information available at
          > http://homedistiller.org
          > >

          > >Yahoo! Groups Links
          > >

          > Derek Hamlet
          > Victoria, B.C.

          http://search.yahoo.com
        • jimpuchai
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 2, 2004
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Ron Miller <rmillerb1@y...>
            wrote:
            > Yeah, that's right. I was a little concerned with the
            > radius of the boiler not being flat enough to seal...
            > but my boiler is only 13-1/2" in dia and it seals
            > perfectly, your keg is considerably larger, therefore
            > easier to seal....
            > Ron
            > --- Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@s...> wrote:
            > > Ron,
            > > Thanks very much, that sound good. So it's nut on
            > > the inside, neoprene
            > > washer on the outside.

            Just to put another method forward as a possibility.

            The welding wizz I watched, simply perched the nut centrally over
            the hole, tacked the two places where it rested on the boiler, and
            then went around building up as he went. Five minutes to complete.
            Leaves a perfect flat area for the neoprene ring. He was using TIG I
            believe.

            Cheers,
            Jim P.