Re: turbo yeast streching

  • imbibed2
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 29, 2004
      Hi dr tucks

      Please I'm not trying to tell you how to suck eggs as I am only a
      novice myself but if you are using dext use an extra kilo. Also have
      you tried using Alcotec yeast it does increase the yeald, I realise
      the temp is far different in Vic but give it a go, also if you have
      bad water try putting in a table spoon of Hydrogen Peroxide this
      will help airate the water, it can be bought at any chemist. A funny
      side to this I know my local chemist very well and the first time I
      asked for some he really quized me on why as I was the third person
      in half an hour to ask for it as he normally sells f*** all haha

      Cheers
      Nick

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "dr_tucks" <dr_tucks@y...>
      wrote:
      > Hi nick
      > yes some do have higher yields but dont do much below 20c
      > i use Still spirits turbo yeast std.
      > Cheers Dr tux
      >

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nickandwendy"
      > <nickandwendy@w...> wrote:
      > > dr_tucks
      > >
      > > How much are you paying for turbo as there is a new one on the
      > market
      > > with better yield ?
      > >
      > > Nick

      smile)
      > > off with 200gms dextrose in 1.5 litres water after a few hours
      its
      > > multiplied up, stir and divide amongst the 4 barrels. thats the
      > easy
      > > bit but nutrients, nutrients, nutrients?
      > > Matt i think posted that tomato paste can be used (legos small 6
      > > pack ones?) if one was put in each barrel is this all that is
      > needed?
      > > Any other ideas. is there a simple all in one yeast nutrient
      > > commercially available?
      > > The less turbo packs i buy the better,
      > > Lets here those brains a tickin.
      > > Thanx
      > > Cheers dr tux
      > > Cheif coordinator Tight Arse Tours

      > > _____
      > >
      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      > subject=Unsubscribe>

      Terms
      > of
      > > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> Service.

    • Michael Horowitz
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
        What SG should I end with when fermenting a simple sugar wash and using
        Fleishmann's baking yeast? - Mike
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Michael Horowitz
          <mhorowit@c...> wrote:
          > What SG should I end with when fermenting a simple sugar wash and
          using
          > Fleishmann's baking yeast? - Mike

          Anything 1.000 or under is acceptible. Bear in mind though, baker's
          yeast maxes out at around 14% abv. If your wash had a starting
          potential abv higher than that, then you won't convert all the
          sugar. You need higher alcohol tolerant yeasts to attain higher
          percentages.

          HTH
        • mhorowit@cox.net
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
            Harry - thanks, especially for that latter bit about 'potential abv'. Now,
            again with the simple sugar wash, what will happen if the potential is well
            above 14%? - Mike

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mhorowit@c..."
              <mhorowit@c...> wrote:
              > Harry - thanks, especially for that latter bit about 'potential
              abv'. Now,
              > again with the simple sugar wash, what will happen if the
              potential is well
              > above 14%? - Mike

              Like I said before,

              If your wash had a starting potential abv higher than that, then you
              won't convert all the sugar.  You need higher alcohol tolerant
              yeasts to attain higher percentages.

              You will end up with a very slow ferment (possibly stuck) and a
              sweet wash. You can still run this wash to recover the alcohol, but
              it must be done very slowly (not too much heat) or you risk getting
              a "burnt sugar" foul taste through the product. You may also have a
              sizable cleanup job with your still parts. Liquid sugar is syrup,
              remember.

              A better solution would be to split the original wash into two
              fermenters, top up each with about 50% more water, add nutrients
              (tomato paste or store-bought fermaid or similar) and rehydrate
              another charge of baker's yeast and re-pitch.

              To elaborate further, baker's yeast and high sugar content just
              don't mix. During my 30 or so years as a baker/doughmaker, I made
              many thousands of sweet bun doughs and bread doughs. A standard
              25kg flour for a bread dough requires 1kg of compressed yeast and no
              added sugar. For a sweet dough, the same 25kg flour requires 3kg
              yeast and 2kg sugar, plus the sugar from 2kg of mixed dried fruit.
              You see where I'm going with this? High sugar content retards the
              yeast action because most yeasts (baker's) are susceptible to "sugar
              shock" and either go dormant or die.

              HTH
            • Michael Horowitz
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
                Thanks for the explanation; In a panic, I re-examined my work:
                When I built the wash, I did two things - I used the basic 2#/gal, and then
                adjusted the SG to 1.07.
                After your e-mail, I went to the website and ran what I did thru the
                formula and find that my 2#/gal gave a bit less potential then 14%, so at
                least in theory, I haven't overloaded the yeast with sugar.
                Yeah, I hear you about what yeast to use and it's not hard to find; I'm not
                being stubborn, but others seem to have had luck using baker's yeast and I
                wanted to give it a try.
                Let's give this another day, then if action is still slow, I'll split the
                wash and add water to both halfs. - Mike