turbo yeast streching

  • dr_tucks
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 29, 2004
      I think a lot of people like the strain of tourbo packet yeasts,
      disolve the sugar, stir in yeast, come back in 10 days (no heater),
      job done.None of this 12 hours later add more sugar again on day 2
      and 4 etc. Wash is a sticky mess the less i have to play with it the
      better
      Only problem with turbos is the price.
      i generally run 4 25 litre washes constantly. (big family and all!)
      if i started a packet (or theoretically a half, a quarter? smile)
      off with 200gms dextrose in 1.5 litres water after a few hours its
      multiplied up, stir and divide amongst the 4 barrels. thats the easy
      bit but nutrients, nutrients, nutrients?
      Matt i think posted that tomato paste can be used (legos small 6
      pack ones?) if one was put in each barrel is this all that is needed?
      Any other ideas. is there a simple all in one yeast nutrient
      commercially available?
      The less turbo packs i buy the better,
      Lets here those brains a tickin.
      Thanx
      Cheers dr tux
      Cheif coordinator Tight Arse Tours
    • nickandwendy
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 29, 2004
        dr_tucks

        How much are you paying for turbo as there is a new one on the market
        with better yield ?

        Nick

[...]

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • dr_tucks
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 29, 2004
          Hi nick
          yes some do have higher yields but dont do much below 20c
          i use Still spirits turbo yeast std.
          Cheers Dr tux

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nickandwendy"
          <nickandwendy@w...> wrote:
          > dr_tucks
          >
          > How much are you paying for turbo as there is a new one on the
          market
          > with better yield ?
          >
          > Nick

          subject=Unsubscribe>

          of

        • imbibed2
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 29, 2004
            Hi dr tucks

            Please I'm not trying to tell you how to suck eggs as I am only a
            novice myself but if you are using dext use an extra kilo. Also have
            you tried using Alcotec yeast it does increase the yeald, I realise
            the temp is far different in Vic but give it a go, also if you have
            bad water try putting in a table spoon of Hydrogen Peroxide this
            will help airate the water, it can be bought at any chemist. A funny
            side to this I know my local chemist very well and the first time I
            asked for some he really quized me on why as I was the third person
            in half an hour to ask for it as he normally sells f*** all haha

            Cheers
            Nick

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "dr_tucks" <dr_tucks@y...>
            wrote:
            > Hi nick
            > yes some do have higher yields but dont do much below 20c
            > i use Still spirits turbo yeast std.
            > Cheers Dr tux
            >

            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nickandwendy"
            > <nickandwendy@w...> wrote:
            > > dr_tucks
            > >
            > > How much are you paying for turbo as there is a new one on the
            > market
            > > with better yield ?
            > >
            > > Nick

            Terms
            > of
            > > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> Service.

          • Michael Horowitz
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
              What SG should I end with when fermenting a simple sugar wash and using
              Fleishmann's baking yeast? - Mike
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Michael Horowitz
                <mhorowit@c...> wrote:
                > What SG should I end with when fermenting a simple sugar wash and
                using
                > Fleishmann's baking yeast? - Mike

                Anything 1.000 or under is acceptible. Bear in mind though, baker's
                yeast maxes out at around 14% abv. If your wash had a starting
                potential abv higher than that, then you won't convert all the
                sugar. You need higher alcohol tolerant yeasts to attain higher
                percentages.

                HTH
              • mhorowit@cox.net
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
                  Harry - thanks, especially for that latter bit about 'potential abv'. Now,
                  again with the simple sugar wash, what will happen if the potential is well
                  above 14%? - Mike

                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mhorowit@c..."
                    <mhorowit@c...> wrote:
                    > Harry - thanks, especially for that latter bit about 'potential
                    abv'. Now,
                    > again with the simple sugar wash, what will happen if the
                    potential is well
                    > above 14%? - Mike

                    Like I said before,

                    If your wash had a starting potential abv higher than that, then you
                    won't convert all the sugar.  You need higher alcohol tolerant
                    yeasts to attain higher percentages.

                    You will end up with a very slow ferment (possibly stuck) and a
                    sweet wash. You can still run this wash to recover the alcohol, but
                    it must be done very slowly (not too much heat) or you risk getting
                    a "burnt sugar" foul taste through the product. You may also have a
                    sizable cleanup job with your still parts. Liquid sugar is syrup,
                    remember.

                    A better solution would be to split the original wash into two
                    fermenters, top up each with about 50% more water, add nutrients
                    (tomato paste or store-bought fermaid or similar) and rehydrate
                    another charge of baker's yeast and re-pitch.

                    To elaborate further, baker's yeast and high sugar content just
                    don't mix. During my 30 or so years as a baker/doughmaker, I made
                    many thousands of sweet bun doughs and bread doughs. A standard
                    25kg flour for a bread dough requires 1kg of compressed yeast and no
                    added sugar. For a sweet dough, the same 25kg flour requires 3kg
                    yeast and 2kg sugar, plus the sugar from 2kg of mixed dried fruit.
                    You see where I'm going with this? High sugar content retards the
                    yeast action because most yeasts (baker's) are susceptible to "sugar
                    shock" and either go dormant or die.

                    HTH
                  • Michael Horowitz
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
                      Thanks for the explanation; In a panic, I re-examined my work:
                      When I built the wash, I did two things - I used the basic 2#/gal, and then
                      adjusted the SG to 1.07.
                      After your e-mail, I went to the website and ran what I did thru the
                      formula and find that my 2#/gal gave a bit less potential then 14%, so at
                      least in theory, I haven't overloaded the yeast with sugar.
                      Yeah, I hear you about what yeast to use and it's not hard to find; I'm not
                      being stubborn, but others seem to have had luck using baker's yeast and I
                      wanted to give it a try.
                      Let's give this another day, then if action is still slow, I'll split the
                      wash and add water to both halfs. - Mike