New distiller info?

  • Matthew
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 25 9:19 AM
      Hello all,
      I have read and reread a few websites on the subject and have decided to
      ask your opinions. I would like to make my first batch of rum or vodka, and
      would like to know the easiest and cheapest way to start. 40-45% is pleanty
      strong enough for me. Im just looking for the easiest way to start so I can
      decide if I would like to get more serious about it. Thanks in advance! Sorry
      about any cross-post.
    • The Ooz
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 25 1:10 PM
        Where do you live?

        Are you interested in quality? Do you want to just make it, or drink it as
        well?

        What would you classify as easy and cheap?

        If you haven't yet found http://homedistiller.org then I recommend that at
        this point. The questions above will help us understand what you are trying
        to achieve.

        Adam

        >Hello all,
        >I have read and reread a few websites on the subject and have decided to
        >ask your opinions. I would like to make my first batch of rum or vodka, and
        >would like to know the easiest and cheapest way to start. 40-45% is pleanty
        >strong enough for me. Im just looking for the easiest way to start so I can
        >decide if I would like to get more serious about it. Thanks in advance!
        >Sorry
        >about any cross-post.

      • Matthew
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 25 3:04 PM
          Hello,
          I live in the USA. I am interested in quality BUT since I have yet to
          distill it is not my top priority. Id like to have it taste decent
          and be mildly strong 40-45%. As I decide to take the distilling more
          serious quility will matter more. I have checked out that site and re-
          read it. I guess I need more of a step by step discussion and a very
          basic still like the "amazing still". Thanks in advance.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "The Ooz" <theooz@h...> wrote:
          > Where do you live?
          >
          > Are you interested in quality? Do you want to just make it, or
          drink it as
          > well?
          >
          > What would you classify as easy and cheap?
          >
          > If you haven't yet found http://homedistiller.org then I recommend
          that at
          > this point. The questions above will help us understand what you
          are trying
          > to achieve.
          >
          > Adam
          >

          > >Hello all,
          > >I have read and reread a few websites on the subject and have
          decided to
          > >ask your opinions. I would like to make my first batch of rum or
          vodka, and
          > >would like to know the easiest and cheapest way to start. 40-45%
          is pleanty
          > >strong enough for me. Im just looking for the easiest way to start
          so I can
          > >decide if I would like to get more serious about it. Thanks in
          advance!
          > >Sorry
          > >about any cross-post.

          > Hot chart ringtones and polyphonics. Go to
          > http://ninemsn.com.au/mobilemania/default.asp
        • random9988
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 25 3:22 PM
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew" <MattBau43@H...>
            wrote:
            > Hello,
            > I live in the USA. I am interested in quality BUT since I have yet
            > distill it is not my top priority. Id like to have it taste decent
            > and be mildly strong 40-45%. As I decide to take the distilling
            more
            > serious quility will matter more. I have checked out that site and
            re-
            > read it. I guess I need more of a step by step discussion and a
            very
            > basic still like the "amazing still". Thanks in advance.

            It's not that hard to use any still, but if you just want to try
            some the amazing still works fine to begin with. Please remeber that
            it is slow. Piece of advice, remove only 2-2.5 liters per
            distillation and you have a lot easier to get higher strength and
            you get a little better quality as well. You'll loose some alcohol
            left in the mash, but I recommend you start there, it's worth the
            loss. If you have any questions about the still I can guide you (I'm
            the author) just let me know.

            //Johan
          • cheeperdrunk
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 25 11:33 PM
              if you are in the market for a still check out e-bay in the search
              type in (moonshine still)

              wrote:
              > Hello,
              > I live in the USA. I am interested in quality BUT since I have yet
              > distill it is not my top priority. Id like to have it taste decent
              > and be mildly strong 40-45%. As I decide to take the distilling
              more
              > serious quility will matter more. I have checked out that site and
              re-
              > read it. I guess I need more of a step by step discussion and a
              very
              > basic still like the "amazing still". Thanks in advance.
              >

              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "The Ooz" <theooz@h...>
              wrote:
              > > Where do you live?
              > >
              > > Are you interested in quality? Do you want to just make it, or
              > drink it as
              > > well?
              > >
              > > What would you classify as easy and cheap?
              > >
              > > If you haven't yet found http://homedistiller.org then I
              recommend
              > that at
              > > this point. The questions above will help us understand what you
              > are trying
              > > to achieve.
              > >
              > > Adam
              > >

              > > >Hello all,
              > > >I have read and reread a few websites on the subject and have
              > decided to
              > > >ask your opinions. I would like to make my first batch of rum or
              > vodka, and
              > > >would like to know the easiest and cheapest way to start. 40-45%
              > is pleanty
              > > >strong enough for me. Im just looking for the easiest way to
              start
              > so I can
              > > >decide if I would like to get more serious about it. Thanks in
              > advance!
              > > >Sorry
              > > >about any cross-post.

              > > Hot chart ringtones and polyphonics. Go to
              > > http://ninemsn.com.au/mobilemania/default.asp
            • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 26 11:33 AM
                > 40-45% is plenty strong enough for me.

                Please note that any vodka you make will need to be diluted back down into that range.

                Why some of use get interested in distilling at 96% purity is not so that we could drink it there (it would do serious permanent damage if you did), but rather that at that purity it comes over very clean, with little to no other tastes. If you were to distil simply at 45% (eg in a pot still), you will find that there is too much taste there, unless deliberately trying for a strong rum or whisky etc. Even with those, a second redistilling is used to clean up the tastes. Carbon does work to some extent to remove extra flavours, but it cant do miracles - far better to have distilled off clean to begin with.

                So - please do consider a still design that will get up into the high % if you are after a clean vodka. A pot still may disappoint you if you don't want all that flavour there.

                Tony
              • mattandmiche@oddpost.com
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 26 1:09 PM
                  On 27 Feb 2004 at 8:33, Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS) wrote:

                  > Why some of use get interested in distilling at 96% purity is not so that we
                  > could drink it there (it would do serious permanent damage if you did),

                  What sort of damage and what's the upper limit you can drink before you damage
                  yourself? I once had some Austrian stuff that was about 80% ABV. Stroh, I think.

                  Hmm...

                  Anyone got a recipe for Stroh?

                  Cheers!

                  Matt
                • Anil Mehta
                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 26 10:43 PM
                    Hi Johan,
                    I am a recent member to the group and mulling over which still to go for on
                    a first try.
                    In the initial stage I will like to take commercial white "moonshine"
                    termed country liquor in my part of the world and distill it to a greater
                    purity so that one has a decent vodka without the aftertaste of the
                    original base. The strength of this country liquor is 40 to 50 pc and
                    probably done with a pot still. So it comes down to using a stripped wash
                    Can you please let me have your views as to whether the amazing still will
                    be able to do this. I like the design as it is small -- apartment use --
                    and also because it does not require much supervision. But probably the
                    reflux action is not high enough to achieve the higher purity. Don't know.
                    I could easily modify the amazing still to the 2 bucket set up if it helps
                    in getting there. (Incidentally what is the smaller pipe's utility in the
                    modified version as the scrubbers are in the larger dia pipe?)
                    In case the amazing still is not the ideal choice I wonder what simple
                    still I need to go for and whether I can really escape the need to have at
                    least a meter long columns with a internal/valved reflux condenser
                    Many thanks
                    Anil
                    Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 23:22:55 -0000
                    From: "random9988" <mugg@...>
                    Subject: Re: New distiller info?

                    wrote:
                    > Hello,
                    > I live in the USA. I am interested in quality BUT since I have yet
                    > distill it is not my top priority. Id like to have it taste decent
                    > and be mildly strong 40-45%. As I decide to take the distilling
                    more
                    > serious quility will matter more. I have checked out that site and
                    re-
                    > read it. I guess I need more of a step by step discussion and a
                    very
                    > basic still like the "amazing still". Thanks in advance.

                    It's not that hard to use any still, but if you just want to try
                    some the amazing still works fine to begin with. Please remeber that
                    it is slow. Piece of advice, remove only 2-2.5 liters per
                    distillation and you have a lot easier to get higher strength and
                    you get a little better quality as well. You'll loose some alcohol
                    left in the mash, but I recommend you start there, it's worth the
                    loss. If you have any questions about the still I can guide you (I'm
                    the author) just let me know.

                    //Johan
                  • gatesbox
                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 27 8:14 AM
                      My two bits on a first still. Starting out can be a real fun science
                      expirement. I was amazed by the amazing still, but can't stand
                      drinking the stuff yet but for the novelty. Think Carbon filtration
                      set up and be generous. Above all be realistic about how much your
                      new hobby will cost, then double it, then double it again. Now you
                      should be close to reality. The amazing still, if you don't have all
                      the parts laying around will run about 100.00US to see any decent
                      results, I've got one in the attic and think it was fun to build but
                      have only used it once. The reality is for a good clean drinkable
                      neuteral spirit, i.e. good vodka you need some kind of reflux column.

                      My favorite first still was a simple pot still. Look around the
                      kitchen or buy a good cheap (less than 20$) set of stock pots and
                      some 3/4 inch tubing, think Hawkeye and be creative. Just running a
                      tube virtically and then descending into a spiral condenser can
                      produce great results, or the old tea kettle design. If your having
                      fun, jump straight into the more advanced column.

                      After spending near 300$ on pipes, fittings, and elecrical stuff I
                      would really consider buying the PDA but then you trade the thrill of
                      doing it yourself.

                      By the way, I would consider selling my amazing still (for water
                      purification only of course) just to get it out of the attic. It is
                      complete and all supplies come from brewhaus.com. It has not been
                      modified so any changes can still be made.

                      Good luck, have fun with the science of it all it really is a trip,
                      Al
                    • random9988
                      Message 10 of 22 , Feb 27 4:06 PM
                        I wouldn't use the amazing still for this (I prefer to call it
                        evaporation still, because that's what it is, the name amazing was
                        added by Gert Strand) It will improve the quality of course but it
                        won't be completely clean anyway, the evaporation still will reduce
                        fusel oil better than a pot still does, but it wont reduce head. To
                        get good result with the amazing still it's necessary to have good
                        mash and especially low head content.
                        Take a look at the spiral still in the files area of distillers
                        forum. That one with a short column (please use at least 30 cm) can
                        give you the possibility to clean the spirits to pure product. If
                        you decide to try that and use a plastic boiler as in the text, be
                        sure to dilute the spirits to 20-30% first, plastic+heat and strong
                        alcohol is a bad combination.

                        Is it possible to buy activated carbon where you live? That would be
                        the fastest solution to improve the taste greatly.

                        Johan

                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Anil Mehta <amehta31@y...>
                        wrote:
                        > Hi Johan,
                        > I am a recent member to the group and mulling over which still to
                        go for on
                        > a first try.
                        > In the initial stage I will like to take commercial
                        white "moonshine"
                        > termed country liquor in my part of the world and distill it to a
                        greater
                        > purity so that one has a decent vodka without the aftertaste of
                        the
                        > original base. The strength of this country liquor is 40 to 50 pc
                        and
                        > probably done with a pot still. So it comes down to using a
                        stripped wash
                        > Can you please let me have your views as to whether the amazing
                        still will
                        > be able to do this. I like the design as it is small -- apartment
                        use --
                        > and also because it does not require much supervision. But
                        probably the
                        > reflux action is not high enough to achieve the higher purity.
                        Don't know.
                        > I could easily modify the amazing still to the 2 bucket set up if
                        it helps
                        > in getting there. (Incidentally what is the smaller pipe's utility
                        in the
                        > modified version as the scrubbers are in the larger dia pipe?)
                        > In case the amazing still is not the ideal choice I wonder what
                        simple
                        > still I need to go for and whether I can really escape the need to
                        have at
                        > least a meter long columns with a internal/valved reflux condenser
                        > Many thanks
                        > Anil
                      • random9988
                        Message 11 of 22 , Feb 27 4:09 PM
                          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gatesbox" <gatesbox@y...>
                          wrote:
                          > My two bits on a first still. Starting out can be a real fun
                          science
                          > expirement. I was amazed by the amazing still, but can't stand
                          > drinking the stuff yet but for the novelty. Think Carbon
                          filtration
                          > set up and be generous. Above all be realistic about how much
                          your
                          > new hobby will cost, then double it, then double it again. Now
                          you
                          > should be close to reality. The amazing still, if you don't have
                          all
                          > the parts laying around will run about 100.00US to see any decent
                          > results, I've got one in the attic and think it was fun to build
                          but
                          > have only used it once. The reality is for a good clean drinkable
                          > neuteral spirit, i.e. good vodka you need some kind of reflux
                          column.

                          > My favorite first still was a simple pot still. Look around the
                          > kitchen or buy a good cheap (less than 20$) set of stock pots and
                          > some 3/4 inch tubing, think Hawkeye and be creative. Just running
                          > tube virtically and then descending into a spiral condenser can
                          > produce great results, or the old tea kettle design. If your
                          having
                          > fun, jump straight into the more advanced column.
                          >
                          > After spending near 300$ on pipes, fittings, and elecrical stuff I
                          > would really consider buying the PDA but then you trade the thrill
                          of
                          > doing it yourself.
                          >
                          > By the way, I would consider selling my amazing still (for water
                          > purification only of course) just to get it out of the attic. It
                          is
                          > complete and all supplies come from brewhaus.com. It has not been
                          > modified so any changes can still be made.
                          >
                          > Good luck, have fun with the science of it all it really is a
                          trip,
                          > Al

                          >------------

                          The amazing still is popular in the Scandinavia, I guess it's
                          because activated carbon is cheap and easy to find here and the
                          taxes on spirits are enormous. A 25 kg bag with high quality carbon
                          cost about 100-150 dollar. That in combination with good carbon
                          treatment equipment (e.g pipe, do not just pour carbon in spirits)
                          and _slow_ cleaning will clean the product close to commercial vodka.
                          The still suits people who aren't that interested in distilling and
                          just want something simple passive that works okay.

                          For people that wants to learn distillation it's much better with a
                          conventional column with good packing and so on. It's more fun and
                          you get the ability to produce clean vodka directly from the still.

                          Johan
                        • Michael Horowitz
                          Message 12 of 22 , Feb 28 2:30 AM
                            Somewhere in my reading was suggested taking aquarium charcoal, rinsing the
                            dust off, placing it in a coffee filter, and running product thru it.
                            Wonder if that's the complete process? From other comments, I'm coming away
                            with the feeling that's not the complete process. Comments please? - Mike
                          • stronkus2003
                            Message 13 of 22 , Feb 28 2:39 AM
                              Hi Mike,

                              Aquarium coal is not very good at cleaning alcohol, and it is also
                              made of stuff that You would not like to filter through, it may even
                              contaminate Your alcohol so bad it is needed to be redistilled. Get
                              the actvated coal that is used for water or in a brewery shop. Boil it
                              before using it and then either filter through a pipe or jus put the
                              coal in your bottle, let it sit for a couple of weeks then filter it.

                              Regards

                              Stronk

                              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Michael Horowitz
                              Message 14 of 22 , Feb 28 4:46 AM
                                Stronk - thanks for the info; could you please elaborate on "filter thru a
                                pipe"? - Mike

                                At 05:39 AM 2/28/04, you wrote:
                                >Hi Mike,
                                >
                                >Aquarium coal is not very good at cleaning alcohol, and it is also
                                >made of stuff that You would not like to filter through, it may even
                                >contaminate Your alcohol so bad it is needed to be redistilled. Get
                                >the actvated coal that is used for water or in a brewery shop. Boil it
                                >before using it and then either filter through a pipe or jus put the
                                >coal in your bottle, let it sit for a couple of weeks then filter it.
                                >
                                >Regards
                                >
                                >Stronk
                              • Rana Pipiens
                                Message 15 of 22 , Feb 28 7:58 AM
                                  Mike, I suggest that you go to Gert Strand's site at partyman.se and download the free e-book on activated charcoal. In the U.S. Brewhaus carries the proper charcoal and a filter and tube setup for filtering. Rana

                                  Michael Horowitz <mhorowit@...> wrote: Stronk - thanks for the info; could you please elaborate on "filter thru a
                                  pipe"? - Mike

                                  At 05:39 AM 2/28/04, you wrote:
                                  >Hi Mike,
                                  >
                                  >Aquarium coal is not very good at cleaning alcohol, and it is also
                                  >made of stuff that You would not like to filter through, it may even
                                  >contaminate Your alcohol so bad it is needed to be redistilled. Get
                                  >the actvated coal that is used for water or in a brewery shop. Boil it
                                  >before using it and then either filter through a pipe or jus put the
                                  >coal in your bottle, let it sit for a couple of weeks then filter it.
                                  >
                                  >Regards
                                  >
                                  >Stronk

                                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                                  Click Here

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Feb 28 8:15 AM
                                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Rana Pipiens <ranah2o@y...>
                                    wrote:
                                    > Mike, I suggest that you go to Gert Strand's site at partyman.se
                                    and download the free e-book on activated charcoal. In the U.S.
                                    Brewhaus carries the proper charcoal and a filter and tube setup for
                                    filtering. Rana

                                    Also available in distillers files...

                                    look for activated_book1.pdf (646 kb)

                                  • Michael Horowitz
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Feb 28 1:04 PM
                                      Rana/Harry - thanks for the pointer to a good read. Since PVC is an easy,
                                      inexpensive material to work with, I'm thinking about making the filter
                                      column out of that material. A check of these archives didn't get a hit on
                                      'PVC' but a check at rec.crafts.distilling provides a warning about using
                                      PVC in the distillation process. Does anyone know if cool alcohol and PVC
                                      is still a "no-no"?

                                      Second - is there anyway to search the homedistiller's site for a word i.e.
                                      PVC? - Mike

                                      At 11:15 AM 2/28/04, you wrote:
                                      >--- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Rana Pipiens <ranah2o@y...>
                                      >wrote:
                                      > > Mike, I suggest that you go to Gert Strand's site at partyman.se
                                      >and download the free e-book on activated charcoal. In the U.S.
                                      >Brewhaus carries the proper charcoal and a filter and tube setup for
                                      >filtering. Rana
                                      >

                                      >Also available in distillers files...
                                      >
                                      >look for activated_book1.pdf (646 kb)
                                      >
                                      >Slainte!
                                      >regards Harry
                                      >

                                      >New Distillers group archives are at
                                      ><http://archive.nnytech.net/>http://archive.nnytech.net/
                                      >FAQ and other information available at
                                      ><http://homedistiller.org>http://homedistiller.org

                                      > *
                                      > <mailto:new_distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>new_distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                                      >
                                      > *
                                    • dark_taet
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Feb 28 2:00 PM
                                        You can definately search the yahoo list. Click messages on the
                                        left hand side then on the right hand side is a box and button with
                                        search archive.

                                        If prefer a "better" search ie boolean you can use my archives..
                                        The only problem is that don't have they only have a year and half
                                        or so of archives.

                                        http://www.taet.com.au/distillers.nsf
                                        http://www.taet.com.au/ndistillers.nsf

                                        More info on boolean searching-->
                                        http://library.albany.edu/internet/boolean.html

                                        Matt

                                        PS Oh and PVC is all BAD..! NEVER NEVER use... However there is
                                        alternatives such as PP that are fine. Lots of info in the archive,
                                        search away.

                                        <mhorowit@c...> wrote:
                                        > Rana/Harry - thanks for the pointer to a good read. Since PVC is
                                        an easy,
                                        > inexpensive material to work with, I'm thinking about making the
                                        filter
                                        > column out of that material. A check of these archives didn't get
                                        a hit on
                                        > 'PVC' but a check at rec.crafts.distilling provides a warning
                                        about using
                                        > PVC in the distillation process. Does anyone know if cool alcohol
                                        and PVC
                                        > is still a "no-no"?
                                        >
                                        > Second - is there anyway to search the homedistiller's site for a
                                        word i.e.
                                        > PVC? - Mike

                                      • Michael Horowitz
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Feb 29 3:12 AM
                                          Folks - if I go to the archives for this list, I get a page with the last
                                          25 or so messages. How do I page to the next 25?
                                          Second - I've tried entering a word in the search box (in this case 'pvc')
                                          and no returns are produced. I've tried it with 'oak', a term used
                                          frequently recently and no returns. Anyone got ideas what's up? - Mike
                                        • grayson_stewart66
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Feb 29 6:33 AM
                                            <mhorowit@c...> wrote:
                                            > Folks - if I go to the archives for this list, I get a page with
                                            the last
                                            > 25 or so messages. How do I page to the next 25?
                                            The archive search looks between two computer selected posts for
                                            the term you typed. If that term isn't found between those two
                                            particular posts, no results are returned.

                                            In any event, whether the term/word is found or not, there is a
                                            bold "NEXT" on the screen. When you click on the "NEXT" it will
                                            start a new search between the next two computer selected posts.

                                            You can continue hitting "NEXT" throughout the entire archives.
                                          • CornFed (Randy)
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Feb 29 12:06 PM
                                              or stop using the next to worthless yahoo search feature and search
                                              the archives using either of these links:
                                              http://www.infoarchive.net/ or http://www.taet.com.au/distillers.nsf
                                              you will have much better results

                                              <mhorowit@c...> wrote:
                                              > Folks - if I go to the archives for this list, I get a page with
                                              the last
                                              > 25 or so messages. How do I page to the next 25?
                                              > Second - I've tried entering a word in the search box (in this
                                              case 'pvc')
                                              > and no returns are produced. I've tried it with 'oak', a term used
                                              > frequently recently and no returns. Anyone got ideas what's up? -
                                              Mike
                                            • jimpuchai
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Feb 29 2:15 PM
                                                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "CornFed (Randy)"
                                                <cornfed15@h...> wrote:
                                                > or stop using the next to worthless yahoo search feature and
                                                search
                                                > the archives using either of these links:
                                                > http://www.infoarchive.net/ or
                                                http://www.taet.com.au/distillers.nsf
                                                > you will have much better results

                                                Couldn't agree more. The Yahoo search is not particularly intuitive.
                                                It always seemed like performing surgery with mittens on.

                                                I particularly like the archive proved by the list member at
                                                www.taet.com.au/distillers.nsf Very quick and easy. Remember that
                                                this only goes back 18 months or so.

                                                Further than that and you need the www.infoarchive.net/

                                                Jim P.