Excite Australia Channels - News

  • KEZ
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 11, 2001

       Get Excited!
        News photos
        National Weather
        News on your mobile
        Currency Converter
      International News

      Homemade alcohol kills 22 Estonians
      6:53 AM September 11

      Twenty-two people died and at least 36 were hospitalised today after drinking what turned out to be a deadly brew in one of Estonia's worst cases of alcohol poisoning.

      Police feared the number of fatalities would rise after receiving new reports of victims who drank what turned out to be highly toxic methyl alcohol.

      "When the first people started coming to the hospital yesterday morning, we had no idea the number of deaths would keep growing like this," police spokesman Indrek Raudjalg said today.

      The latest deaths occurred today, though most victims consumed the tainted alcohol at the weekend in Parnu, a seaside town of 50,000 some 125 km south of the capital, Tallinn, Raudjalg said.

      Hospitals in the close-knit resort area became overwhelmed as the number of victims grew and many were transferred to hospitals in Tallinn, some by helicopter.

      Warnings were issued by radio and television for people to avoid drinking alcohol out of suspicious-looking bottles, and the city government set up a crisis centre.

      "What has happened here is a catastrophe," Mayor Einar Kelder said on the radio. "The criminality of this... I'm at a loss for words."

      The moonshine was reportedly bottled in half-litre (pint) plastic flasks normally used for soft drinks and sold for some 30 kroons ($A3.85); according to Estonia's KUKU radio.

      The victims purchased the deadly drinks at different times in recent days but from the same source, Raudjalg said. He said many appeared to be poorer Estonians unable to afford pricier liquor sold in licensed stores.

      Steep rises in alcohol costs after this Baltic country of 1.4 million people cast off communism a decade ago have driven many Estonians, with an average monthly salary of about 5,000 kroons ($A578), to opt for illegal varieties.

      Police raided several illegal distilleries and four people were detained for questioning, but nobody has been charged.

      The toxicity probably occurred inadvertently in the distilling process, police said. Illegal distillers are said to sometimes add the chemical in small quantities to make their brews more potent.

      "We don't think those making these spirits wanted to kill their clients," Raudjalg said. "It was probably a mistake, but that's something being investigated."

      Samples were being tested to verify the lethal ingredient.

      Authorities said fatal alcohol poisonings weren't uncommon in Estonia but usually occurred sporadically each month - not in such large numbers. BNS said 155 such deaths occurred last year.

      Methyl alcohol, also called wood alcohol or methanol, can be made synthetically or by distilling wood. It is an ingredient in antifreeze, formaldehyde and many industrial solvents.

      The poisonous brew, which also can cause permanent blindness, is annually blamed for hundreds of deaths around the world, including 127 similar deaths in El Salvador last year.

      More International news

      Brought to you by…

       Latest Headlines
      Australia to strengthen missile defence role
      Research reveals sensitive new-age cavemen
      Bush, Howard talk free trade, missile defence
      British deputy PM faces legal decision over punch-up
      Homemade alcohol kills 22 Estonians
      Fiji PM thrown into cabinet reshuffle
      Parents push for access to aid workers
      Mugabe agrees to end farm occupations
      Boat people overshadow PM's mission
      Bloody Mideast Sunday claims nine lives
      Howard starts US tour with a barbie
      Caretaker set to be Fijian PM
      Pakistan helps bid to aid westerners
      Refugee crisis will get worse: Clinton
      Jakarta cooperation a way to go: Ruddock
      More...

      Copyright © 1998-2001 Excite Australia Pty Ltd. All rights reserved. Disclaimer | Copyright © 2001 AAP Disclaimer | Copyright © 2001 ZD APN Partners. All Rights Reserved | Copyright © My Money Group Pty Limited ("MYG"). All rights reserved. Disclaimer | Copyright © 2001 AP Disclaimer
      Help | Feedback | Advertising | Submit a Site | Bookmark Excite | Privacy | Terms of Service
    • selfish joe
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 11, 2001
        > Homemade alcohol kills 22 Estonians
        > 6:53 AM September 11

        ..............................................victims
        > who drank what turned out to be highly toxic methyl
        > alcohol.
        > ........ The moonshine was reportedly bottled in
        > half-litre (pint) plastic flasks normally used for
        > soft drinks
        > The toxicity probably occurred
        > inadvertently in the distilling process, police
        > said. Illegal distillers are said to sometimes add
        > the chemical in small quantities to make their brews
        > more potent.

        I think the problem wasn't with the distilling process
        but with methanol being added to the finished product
        to increase profits.

        selfishjoe

        http://im.yahoo.com