Pot stills

  • John Wisbey
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 18, 2004
      I have a 15lt pot still which I bought here in Italy. It works very well, but I am now thinking of a VM column. I can get hold of a new domed alambic head without the lyne arm, which will fit into the boiler, a sort of small copper milk churn. There is a certain amount of reflux from the dome, but not enough, I suspect, to interfere with the column. Are my assumptions correct? Will I have any problems with instability?
      Any input will be gratefully received.

      John Wisbey

    • Rutger Amons
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 18, 2004
        > I have a 15lt pot still which I bought here in Italy.

        Where in Italy? Got pictures/price?

        > It works very well, but I am now thinking of a VM column. I can get hold
        > of a new domed alambic head without the lyne arm, which will fit
        > into the boiler, a sort of small copper milk churn. There is a
        > certain amount of reflux from the dome, but not enough, I
        > suspect, to interfere with the column. Are my assumptions
        > correct? Will I have any problems with instability?
        > Any input will be gratefully received.

        Try to solder some cooling tube to the helmet, it will increase the reflux.
        I Made a simple spiral inside the helmet, works great!

        Rutger
      • reggie modisette
        Message 3 of 5 , May 27, 2008
          Is the pot still best for beginners? Interested in good taste not so much in the proof. Where can I purchase a good quality cooper still and how can I get started? Is their a big difference in the goose neck pot still and a pot still?

        • mstehelin
          Message 4 of 5 , May 27, 2008
            Reggie,
            You can google "Copper alembic". I saw a portugese site that sold
            them. E-bay is loaded with stills. Google stills and watch the hits
            come in. Not a big problem to find a still. (Brewhaus sells stainless
            stills)
            If it were me I would make my own. Lots of info on this site, the
            "distillers" yahoo group, and homedistiller.org
            You will learn more and probably save money.
            Cheers
            PS High alcohol doesn't always mean low quality. Could be a double
            distillation.

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, reggie modisette
            <reggiemodisette@...> wrote:

            > Is the pot still best for beginners? Interested in good taste not so
            much in the proof. Where can I purchase a good quality cooper still
            and how can I get started? Is their a big difference in the goose neck
            pot still and a pot still?

          • rye_junkie1
            Message 5 of 5 , May 27, 2008
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mstehelin" <mstehelin@...> wrote:

              > Reggie,
              > You can google "Copper alembic". I saw a portugese site that sold
              > them. E-bay is loaded with stills. Google stills and watch the hits
              > come in. Not a big problem to find a still. (Brewhaus sells stainless
              > stills)
              > If it were me I would make my own. Lots of info on this site, the
              > "distillers" yahoo group, and homedistiller.org
              > You will learn more and probably save money.
              > Cheers
              > PS High alcohol doesn't always mean low quality. Could be a double
              > distillation.
              >

              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, reggie modisette
              > <reggiemodisette@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Is the pot still best for beginners? Interested in good taste not so
              > much in the proof. Where can I purchase a good quality cooper still
              > and how can I get started? Is their a big difference in the goose neck
              > pot still and a pot still?

              I agree with "M", Making your own rig will give you much more
              knowledge and respect for how it all works. And yes i feel that a pot
              still is a very good place for a beginner to start. If you build your
              own you can also build in some versatility that will allow you to
              utilize it for bot pot and reflux.
              As for being interested in taste and not proof. My weekend Reflux run
              yielded 6.5 liters of 90%. Watered down to 47% it was as good as any
              middle shelf Vodka.
              As for the difference between pot still and goose neck still. They
              are both pot stills. In big distilleries they use both. The pot
              still is for first run or what we call a strip run. The goose neck is
              for the second "Spirit" run. No matter what you are making you should
              make it a practice to double run your drink. It is possible to get
              good hooch from a single run but it takes patience and a fair amount
              of skill.

              Mason