RE: [new_distillers] pot for still

  • janpam ooms
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 9, 2001
      If you live in Brisbane and want a fairly heavy gauge stainless container
      with a clip on lid that seals properly,you have to try VISYPACK/RHEEM.They
      are situated at BULIMBA and make these containers in every size from 10 to
      200 litres.A metal spinner will put a nice bulge in the lid so you can mount
      the tower quite safely as the material is a lot thicker than the KIWI
      version.If anyone is interested i can publish their phone number and the
      person to contact if he allows me to do this.
      Regards. Jan.
      >From: Tony & Elle Ackland <Tony.Ackland@...>
      >To: 'New Distillers newsgroup' <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>
      >Subject: RE: [new_distillers] pot for still
      >Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2001 17:58:05 +1200
      >
      > > Any suggestions of
      > > where to look for such a beast?
      >
      >considered using a keg, or a hot water cylinder, or a coffee urn ?
      >
      >Tony

    • Francis Graham
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 12, 2001
        Mike,
        If you have a reasonably big coloumn (1 metre or
        longer),try a stainless steel keg, it will take a full
        or double size standard wash from your fermenter,&
        gives a very stable base for your fermenter. if you
        need a good mount for your keg , a spare wheel from
        your car will quite often accomodate it quite well.
        Depending on the brand of keg you use, you may have to
        adapt your still head in a number of different ways.
        If it has a protruding threaded neck you could use 4
        eyebolts through the neck & a flat base on your head
        with 4 holes to accomodate 4 screws which are inserted
        through the eyebolts &then through the holes in the
        base,or something similar.If you look @ the kiwi
        distillers site photos of setups you will see many
        more ways of mounting different types of kegs.To heat
        it ,use an ordinary element from a hot water system.

        http://travel.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Travel
        - Got Itchy feet? Get inspired!
      • Michael Spottswood
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 12, 2001
          Thanks for the ideas everyone. However, I am trying to keep this project
          low cost for it is my first of its kind. I can get a stainless milk can
          with a lid for $110.00 with shipping from New York to Kansas. I was hoping
          to do it for about half of that. Unfortunately, it looks like this may be
          my only option. All of the kegs I find are aluminum and I am not savvy
          enough to cut a lid and reattach it securely. I am in a bit of a jam. The
          reflux column is 36 inches high and weighs 15 lbs. I need a big pot to
          support it. Anything else would be appreciated, and thanks to all those who
          have helped already.
          Mike

        • al lewis
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 12, 2001
            Hi, whats the fasination with stainless steel appart from the cost?
            If your experimenting. I sugest you go to your nearest wine merchat
            supplier and get a 5 1/2 gallon plastic bucket and lid off him.
            I have used one with an old kettle element fitted in through the wall
            with great satisfaction.
            You you like what you see, why spend all your hardnd earned $$$$
            on something that looks beautiful but only does the same job. al

            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 13, 2001
              I'd agree with that comment regarding cost.

              As a first time distiller, I have managed to make up what can only be
              described as "The biggest hunk of junk" ever to be called a still.

              As my main reason for wanting to distill is not as a hobby but from
              extreme financial hardship I have had to throw together a still out
              of pieces of junk I found lying around my garage and garden.

              My Pot (if you can call it that) is made up of an old... and I mean
              OLD boiler. The piping, reflux and condensor are made from a hotch-
              potch of recycled copper tubing from old plumbing, HDPE Plastic Waste
              Pipe pushfit connectors and old garden hose.

              It sounds like crap, It might look light crap, it probably is crap.

              Total cost of the build? £20.00

              If it works (not tested yet, maybe in a couple of days when I pluck
              up courage) and I don't manage to kill myself I'll let you all know
              how I get on.

              Fizz
            • sallypointer@yahoo.co.uk
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 13, 2001
                --- In new_distillers@y..., fizzynick@y... wrote:
                > I'd agree with that comment regarding cost.
                >
                > As a first time distiller, I have managed to make up what can only
                be
                > described as "The biggest hunk of junk" ever to be called a still.
                >
                > As my main reason for wanting to distill is not as a hobby but from
                > extreme financial hardship I have had to throw together a still out
                > of pieces of junk I found lying around my garage and garden.
                >
                > My Pot (if you can call it that) is made up of an old... and I mean
                > OLD boiler. The piping, reflux and condensor are made from a hotch-
                > potch of recycled copper tubing from old plumbing, HDPE Plastic
                Waste
                > Pipe pushfit connectors and old garden hose.
                >
                > It sounds like crap, It might look light crap, it probably is crap.
                >
                > Total cost of the build? £20.00
                >
                > If it works (not tested yet, maybe in a couple of days when I pluck
                > up courage) and I don't manage to kill myself I'll let you all know
                > how I get on.
                >
                > Fizz

                Ours isnt a reflux still but still gives excellent results. Its a pot
                still made from a pressure cooker (£2 at car boot sale- brand new) a
                coil of 15mm copper tubing (£10 B&Q) and a few inches of plastic
                tubing as a connector. The thermometer (£2 sugar/cake shop)goes where
                the pressure seal was and the whole set up came to less than £15-
                give top notch results every time as long as you carefully monitor
                the temperature.
                Long live economy!
                Sally
              • Brian Bashford
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 13, 2001
                  Hi Fizz,
                     As a fellow enthusiast in the UK I'll be interested to hear how it pans out. When you say "boiler" could you be more specific. The word conjures up several possibilities especially as you emphasise the "old " bit.

                         Good Luck,
                           Brian B.
[...]

                • Dick
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 14, 2001
                    > Hi Fizz,
                    >    As a fellow enthusiast in the UK I'll be interested to hear how it pans
                    > out. When you say "boiler" could you be more specific. The word
                    > conjures up several possibilities especially as you emphasise the "old "
                    > bit.

                    Just thought, back when I first started beer brewing I used an old
                    Baby Burco laundry boiler & the first few brews definitely tasted of soap
                    powder - you can get used to the flavour, but it takes a while and I was
                    broke at the time ! Maybe Tony or one of the other experts could advise if
                    active charcoal will remove the magic active ingredients that TV ads tell us
                    are in all modern soap powders.
                    Ahhh well, back to the drawing board !!
                    --
                    Dick
                    Fra' Auld Reekie
                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 14, 2001
                      Hi Brian,

                      The old boiler (no, not the wife, the OTHER one ;) is made by Burco.
                      It holds about 5 Gallons and is made from aluminium. It also has an
                      aluminium lid, a drain off tap and a controller (Off, Low and High)
                      for six heater elements.

                      It boils up a gallon of cold tap water in under 15 minutes when on
                      High setting and simmers nicely on Low setting.

                      I remember my Grandmother had one of these which she used to boil up
                      the washing one day and Ham Joints the next. I prefer my intended
                      use, though.

                      Regards

                      Fizz
                    • al lewis
                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 14, 2001
                        Regarding the Burco boiler, I used one but absentmindedly forgot to empty
                        after boil off. Result a holy burco. Please empty as soon as you
                        are finished or you will have the same result. Going from that I guess some
                        aluminium is been added into the brew all the time :(.
                        I also have a picture of prisoners in the Kesh [jail] in Northern
                        Ireland using one !!!
                        take care ,al

                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 15, 2001
                          Hi Al,

                          Thanks for the tip. I will keep it in mind.
                          Did you find that the Burco performed as you expected. I have yet to
                          do my first run and I anticipate that I will have to crank it up
                          to "High" to get the initial temp up, then drop it doen to "Low"
                          setting and let in slowly distill. Does this match your experiences
                          with it?

                          Fizz

                        • fizzynick@yahoo.co.uk
                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 15, 2001
                            Hi Dick,

                            Soap residue is something I have considered.

                            I have given the Burco a good clean out but will expect there to be a
                            certain of of residue until the still has prodeuced a few runs
                            to "burn" out the soap.
                            I have an activated charcoal filter ready and waiting so I am hoping
                            that will sort that out.

                            Cheers

                            Fizz

                            > Just thought, back when I first started beer brewing I used
                            an old
                            > Baby Burco laundry boiler & the first few brews definitely tasted
                            of soap
                            > powder - you can get used to the flavour, but it takes a while and
                            I was
                            > broke at the time ! Maybe Tony or one of the other experts could
                            advise if
                            > active charcoal will remove the magic active ingredients that TV
                            ads tell us
                            > are in all modern soap powders.
                            > Ahhh well, back to the drawing board !!
                            > --
                            > Dick
                            > Fra' Auld Reekie
                          • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 16, 2001
                              Dick,

                              > I used an old
                              > Baby Burco laundry boiler & the first few brews definitely
                              > tasted of soap powder

                              I haven't had the need to try carbon on soapy wash yet, but guess that it
                              should help.

                              Just timely to remind again that the first run with any still should be a
                              "water only" affair, to not only check out how well all the seals are, find
                              leaks, etc, but also to help clean out any remaining soap/grease/cleaning
                              products etc.

                              Tony