Re: [new_distillers] pot for still

  • ups474@aol.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 8, 2001
      If you live in the U.S. try looking in the yellow pages under barrels or
      drums- call a few places- they typically have 5-20 gallon stainless steel
      food grade drums with heavy lids. Just say you plan on using it for wine
      making- it'll work. Most of these containers can handle 40 pounds of pressure
      per square inch. That makes them safe enough for distilling.
    • janpam ooms
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 9, 2001
        If you live in Brisbane and want a fairly heavy gauge stainless container
        with a clip on lid that seals properly,you have to try VISYPACK/RHEEM.They
        are situated at BULIMBA and make these containers in every size from 10 to
        200 litres.A metal spinner will put a nice bulge in the lid so you can mount
        the tower quite safely as the material is a lot thicker than the KIWI
        version.If anyone is interested i can publish their phone number and the
        person to contact if he allows me to do this.
        Regards. Jan.
        >From: Tony & Elle Ackland <Tony.Ackland@...>
        >To: 'New Distillers newsgroup' <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: RE: [new_distillers] pot for still
        >Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2001 17:58:05 +1200
        >
        > > Any suggestions of
        > > where to look for such a beast?
        >
        >considered using a keg, or a hot water cylinder, or a coffee urn ?
        >
        >Tony

      • Francis Graham
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 12, 2001
          Mike,
          If you have a reasonably big coloumn (1 metre or
          longer),try a stainless steel keg, it will take a full
          or double size standard wash from your fermenter,&
          gives a very stable base for your fermenter. if you
          need a good mount for your keg , a spare wheel from
          your car will quite often accomodate it quite well.
          Depending on the brand of keg you use, you may have to
          adapt your still head in a number of different ways.
          If it has a protruding threaded neck you could use 4
          eyebolts through the neck & a flat base on your head
          with 4 holes to accomodate 4 screws which are inserted
          through the eyebolts &then through the holes in the
          base,or something similar.If you look @ the kiwi
          distillers site photos of setups you will see many
          more ways of mounting different types of kegs.To heat
          it ,use an ordinary element from a hot water system.

          http://travel.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Travel
          - Got Itchy feet? Get inspired!
        • Michael Spottswood
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 12, 2001
            Thanks for the ideas everyone. However, I am trying to keep this project
            low cost for it is my first of its kind. I can get a stainless milk can
            with a lid for $110.00 with shipping from New York to Kansas. I was hoping
            to do it for about half of that. Unfortunately, it looks like this may be
            my only option. All of the kegs I find are aluminum and I am not savvy
            enough to cut a lid and reattach it securely. I am in a bit of a jam. The
            reflux column is 36 inches high and weighs 15 lbs. I need a big pot to
            support it. Anything else would be appreciated, and thanks to all those who
            have helped already.
            Mike

          • al lewis
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 12, 2001
              Hi, whats the fasination with stainless steel appart from the cost?
              If your experimenting. I sugest you go to your nearest wine merchat
              supplier and get a 5 1/2 gallon plastic bucket and lid off him.
              I have used one with an old kettle element fitted in through the wall
              with great satisfaction.
              You you like what you see, why spend all your hardnd earned $$$$
              on something that looks beautiful but only does the same job. al

              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 13, 2001
                I'd agree with that comment regarding cost.

                As a first time distiller, I have managed to make up what can only be
                described as "The biggest hunk of junk" ever to be called a still.

                As my main reason for wanting to distill is not as a hobby but from
                extreme financial hardship I have had to throw together a still out
                of pieces of junk I found lying around my garage and garden.

                My Pot (if you can call it that) is made up of an old... and I mean
                OLD boiler. The piping, reflux and condensor are made from a hotch-
                potch of recycled copper tubing from old plumbing, HDPE Plastic Waste
                Pipe pushfit connectors and old garden hose.

                It sounds like crap, It might look light crap, it probably is crap.

                Total cost of the build? £20.00

                If it works (not tested yet, maybe in a couple of days when I pluck
                up courage) and I don't manage to kill myself I'll let you all know
                how I get on.

                Fizz
              • sallypointer@yahoo.co.uk
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 13, 2001
                  --- In new_distillers@y..., fizzynick@y... wrote:
                  > I'd agree with that comment regarding cost.
                  >
                  > As a first time distiller, I have managed to make up what can only
                  be
                  > described as "The biggest hunk of junk" ever to be called a still.
                  >
                  > As my main reason for wanting to distill is not as a hobby but from
                  > extreme financial hardship I have had to throw together a still out
                  > of pieces of junk I found lying around my garage and garden.
                  >
                  > My Pot (if you can call it that) is made up of an old... and I mean
                  > OLD boiler. The piping, reflux and condensor are made from a hotch-
                  > potch of recycled copper tubing from old plumbing, HDPE Plastic
                  Waste
                  > Pipe pushfit connectors and old garden hose.
                  >
                  > It sounds like crap, It might look light crap, it probably is crap.
                  >
                  > Total cost of the build? £20.00
                  >
                  > If it works (not tested yet, maybe in a couple of days when I pluck
                  > up courage) and I don't manage to kill myself I'll let you all know
                  > how I get on.
                  >
                  > Fizz

                  Ours isnt a reflux still but still gives excellent results. Its a pot
                  still made from a pressure cooker (£2 at car boot sale- brand new) a
                  coil of 15mm copper tubing (£10 B&Q) and a few inches of plastic
                  tubing as a connector. The thermometer (£2 sugar/cake shop)goes where
                  the pressure seal was and the whole set up came to less than £15-
                  give top notch results every time as long as you carefully monitor
                  the temperature.
                  Long live economy!
                  Sally
                • Brian Bashford
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 13, 2001
                    Hi Fizz,
                       As a fellow enthusiast in the UK I'll be interested to hear how it pans out. When you say "boiler" could you be more specific. The word conjures up several possibilities especially as you emphasise the "old " bit.

                           Good Luck,
                             Brian B.
[...]

                  • Dick
                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 14, 2001
                      > Hi Fizz,
                      >    As a fellow enthusiast in the UK I'll be interested to hear how it pans
                      > out. When you say "boiler" could you be more specific. The word
                      > conjures up several possibilities especially as you emphasise the "old "
                      > bit.

                      Just thought, back when I first started beer brewing I used an old
                      Baby Burco laundry boiler & the first few brews definitely tasted of soap
                      powder - you can get used to the flavour, but it takes a while and I was
                      broke at the time ! Maybe Tony or one of the other experts could advise if
                      active charcoal will remove the magic active ingredients that TV ads tell us
                      are in all modern soap powders.
                      Ahhh well, back to the drawing board !!
                      --
                      Dick
                      Fra' Auld Reekie
                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 14, 2001
                        Hi Brian,

                        The old boiler (no, not the wife, the OTHER one ;) is made by Burco.
                        It holds about 5 Gallons and is made from aluminium. It also has an
                        aluminium lid, a drain off tap and a controller (Off, Low and High)
                        for six heater elements.

                        It boils up a gallon of cold tap water in under 15 minutes when on
                        High setting and simmers nicely on Low setting.

                        I remember my Grandmother had one of these which she used to boil up
                        the washing one day and Ham Joints the next. I prefer my intended
                        use, though.

                        Regards

                        Fizz
                      • al lewis
                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 14, 2001
                          Regarding the Burco boiler, I used one but absentmindedly forgot to empty
                          after boil off. Result a holy burco. Please empty as soon as you
                          are finished or you will have the same result. Going from that I guess some
                          aluminium is been added into the brew all the time :(.
                          I also have a picture of prisoners in the Kesh [jail] in Northern
                          Ireland using one !!!
                          take care ,al

                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 15, 2001
                            Hi Al,

                            Thanks for the tip. I will keep it in mind.
                            Did you find that the Burco performed as you expected. I have yet to
                            do my first run and I anticipate that I will have to crank it up
                            to "High" to get the initial temp up, then drop it doen to "Low"
                            setting and let in slowly distill. Does this match your experiences
                            with it?

                            Fizz

                          • fizzynick@yahoo.co.uk
                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 15, 2001
                              Hi Dick,

                              Soap residue is something I have considered.

                              I have given the Burco a good clean out but will expect there to be a
                              certain of of residue until the still has prodeuced a few runs
                              to "burn" out the soap.
                              I have an activated charcoal filter ready and waiting so I am hoping
                              that will sort that out.

                              Cheers

                              Fizz

                              > Just thought, back when I first started beer brewing I used
                              an old
                              > Baby Burco laundry boiler & the first few brews definitely tasted
                              of soap
                              > powder - you can get used to the flavour, but it takes a while and
                              I was
                              > broke at the time ! Maybe Tony or one of the other experts could
                              advise if
                              > active charcoal will remove the magic active ingredients that TV
                              ads tell us
                              > are in all modern soap powders.
                              > Ahhh well, back to the drawing board !!
                              > --
                              > Dick
                              > Fra' Auld Reekie
                            • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 16, 2001
                                Dick,

                                > I used an old
                                > Baby Burco laundry boiler & the first few brews definitely
                                > tasted of soap powder

                                I haven't had the need to try carbon on soapy wash yet, but guess that it
                                should help.

                                Just timely to remind again that the first run with any still should be a
                                "water only" affair, to not only check out how well all the seals are, find
                                leaks, etc, but also to help clean out any remaining soap/grease/cleaning
                                products etc.

                                Tony