RE: [new_distillers] pot for still

  • Big Kahuna
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 7, 2001
      I keep seeing requests for where to get a suitable boiler. Look in your
      yellow pages for " Metal recyclers". It may take a few visits but eventually
      you will find what you need for cheap. Phone and ask them if they have
      anything you need in stainless. Like beer kegs, industrial floor machines
      are usually made out of stainless and like Tony said , coffee urns. Check
      with your local dairy. All of their equipment is stainless too. If all else
      fails, look again in your phone book for manufacturers of brewing eqipment.
      One trip to thier factory will blow your mind and your wallet if your not
      careful. Maybe they'll let you look through their scrap pile. The makers of
      brewing vats have every concievable piece you could ever want but they carry
      a hefty price tag. On Vancouver Island BC Canada, it seems that every where
      I look I see stainless pots for boilers. Also some nurserys have stainless
      tanks fo rholding water but these are usually 100 gallons or more. Last but
      not least, a metal fabricating shop can make it up to your order. But again
      you will be paying top dollar.

      Tony, I havent forgotten your request fo rmore details. I'll do it in the
      next day or two.

      BK

      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 8, 2001
        If you live in the U.S. try looking in the yellow pages under barrels or
        drums- call a few places- they typically have 5-20 gallon stainless steel
        food grade drums with heavy lids. Just say you plan on using it for wine
        making- it'll work. Most of these containers can handle 40 pounds of pressure
        per square inch. That makes them safe enough for distilling.
      • janpam ooms
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 9, 2001
          If you live in Brisbane and want a fairly heavy gauge stainless container
          with a clip on lid that seals properly,you have to try VISYPACK/RHEEM.They
          are situated at BULIMBA and make these containers in every size from 10 to
          200 litres.A metal spinner will put a nice bulge in the lid so you can mount
          the tower quite safely as the material is a lot thicker than the KIWI
          version.If anyone is interested i can publish their phone number and the
          person to contact if he allows me to do this.
          Regards. Jan.
          >From: Tony & Elle Ackland <Tony.Ackland@...>
          >To: 'New Distillers newsgroup' <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: RE: [new_distillers] pot for still
          >Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2001 17:58:05 +1200
          >
          > > Any suggestions of
          > > where to look for such a beast?
          >
          >considered using a keg, or a hot water cylinder, or a coffee urn ?
          >
          >Tony

        • Francis Graham
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 12, 2001
            Mike,
            If you have a reasonably big coloumn (1 metre or
            longer),try a stainless steel keg, it will take a full
            or double size standard wash from your fermenter,&
            gives a very stable base for your fermenter. if you
            need a good mount for your keg , a spare wheel from
            your car will quite often accomodate it quite well.
            Depending on the brand of keg you use, you may have to
            adapt your still head in a number of different ways.
            If it has a protruding threaded neck you could use 4
            eyebolts through the neck & a flat base on your head
            with 4 holes to accomodate 4 screws which are inserted
            through the eyebolts &then through the holes in the
            base,or something similar.If you look @ the kiwi
            distillers site photos of setups you will see many
            more ways of mounting different types of kegs.To heat
            it ,use an ordinary element from a hot water system.

            http://travel.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Travel
            - Got Itchy feet? Get inspired!
          • Michael Spottswood
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 12, 2001
              Thanks for the ideas everyone. However, I am trying to keep this project
              low cost for it is my first of its kind. I can get a stainless milk can
              with a lid for $110.00 with shipping from New York to Kansas. I was hoping
              to do it for about half of that. Unfortunately, it looks like this may be
              my only option. All of the kegs I find are aluminum and I am not savvy
              enough to cut a lid and reattach it securely. I am in a bit of a jam. The
              reflux column is 36 inches high and weighs 15 lbs. I need a big pot to
              support it. Anything else would be appreciated, and thanks to all those who
              have helped already.
              Mike

            • al lewis
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 12, 2001
                Hi, whats the fasination with stainless steel appart from the cost?
                If your experimenting. I sugest you go to your nearest wine merchat
                supplier and get a 5 1/2 gallon plastic bucket and lid off him.
                I have used one with an old kettle element fitted in through the wall
                with great satisfaction.
                You you like what you see, why spend all your hardnd earned $$$$
                on something that looks beautiful but only does the same job. al

                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 13, 2001
                  I'd agree with that comment regarding cost.

                  As a first time distiller, I have managed to make up what can only be
                  described as "The biggest hunk of junk" ever to be called a still.

                  As my main reason for wanting to distill is not as a hobby but from
                  extreme financial hardship I have had to throw together a still out
                  of pieces of junk I found lying around my garage and garden.

                  My Pot (if you can call it that) is made up of an old... and I mean
                  OLD boiler. The piping, reflux and condensor are made from a hotch-
                  potch of recycled copper tubing from old plumbing, HDPE Plastic Waste
                  Pipe pushfit connectors and old garden hose.

                  It sounds like crap, It might look light crap, it probably is crap.

                  Total cost of the build? £20.00

                  If it works (not tested yet, maybe in a couple of days when I pluck
                  up courage) and I don't manage to kill myself I'll let you all know
                  how I get on.

                  Fizz
                • sallypointer@yahoo.co.uk
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 13, 2001
                    --- In new_distillers@y..., fizzynick@y... wrote:
                    > I'd agree with that comment regarding cost.
                    >
                    > As a first time distiller, I have managed to make up what can only
                    be
                    > described as "The biggest hunk of junk" ever to be called a still.
                    >
                    > As my main reason for wanting to distill is not as a hobby but from
                    > extreme financial hardship I have had to throw together a still out
                    > of pieces of junk I found lying around my garage and garden.
                    >
                    > My Pot (if you can call it that) is made up of an old... and I mean
                    > OLD boiler. The piping, reflux and condensor are made from a hotch-
                    > potch of recycled copper tubing from old plumbing, HDPE Plastic
                    Waste
                    > Pipe pushfit connectors and old garden hose.
                    >
                    > It sounds like crap, It might look light crap, it probably is crap.
                    >
                    > Total cost of the build? £20.00
                    >
                    > If it works (not tested yet, maybe in a couple of days when I pluck
                    > up courage) and I don't manage to kill myself I'll let you all know
                    > how I get on.
                    >
                    > Fizz

                    Ours isnt a reflux still but still gives excellent results. Its a pot
                    still made from a pressure cooker (£2 at car boot sale- brand new) a
                    coil of 15mm copper tubing (£10 B&Q) and a few inches of plastic
                    tubing as a connector. The thermometer (£2 sugar/cake shop)goes where
                    the pressure seal was and the whole set up came to less than £15-
                    give top notch results every time as long as you carefully monitor
                    the temperature.
                    Long live economy!
                    Sally
                  • Brian Bashford
                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 13, 2001
                      Hi Fizz,
                         As a fellow enthusiast in the UK I'll be interested to hear how it pans out. When you say "boiler" could you be more specific. The word conjures up several possibilities especially as you emphasise the "old " bit.

                             Good Luck,
                               Brian B.
[...]

                    • Dick
                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 14, 2001
                        > Hi Fizz,
                        >    As a fellow enthusiast in the UK I'll be interested to hear how it pans
                        > out. When you say "boiler" could you be more specific. The word
                        > conjures up several possibilities especially as you emphasise the "old "
                        > bit.

                        Just thought, back when I first started beer brewing I used an old
                        Baby Burco laundry boiler & the first few brews definitely tasted of soap
                        powder - you can get used to the flavour, but it takes a while and I was
                        broke at the time ! Maybe Tony or one of the other experts could advise if
                        active charcoal will remove the magic active ingredients that TV ads tell us
                        are in all modern soap powders.
                        Ahhh well, back to the drawing board !!
                        --
                        Dick
                        Fra' Auld Reekie
                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 14, 2001
                          Hi Brian,

                          The old boiler (no, not the wife, the OTHER one ;) is made by Burco.
                          It holds about 5 Gallons and is made from aluminium. It also has an
                          aluminium lid, a drain off tap and a controller (Off, Low and High)
                          for six heater elements.

                          It boils up a gallon of cold tap water in under 15 minutes when on
                          High setting and simmers nicely on Low setting.

                          I remember my Grandmother had one of these which she used to boil up
                          the washing one day and Ham Joints the next. I prefer my intended
                          use, though.

                          Regards

                          Fizz
                        • al lewis
                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 14, 2001
                            Regarding the Burco boiler, I used one but absentmindedly forgot to empty
                            after boil off. Result a holy burco. Please empty as soon as you
                            are finished or you will have the same result. Going from that I guess some
                            aluminium is been added into the brew all the time :(.
                            I also have a picture of prisoners in the Kesh [jail] in Northern
                            Ireland using one !!!
                            take care ,al

                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 15, 2001
                              Hi Al,

                              Thanks for the tip. I will keep it in mind.
                              Did you find that the Burco performed as you expected. I have yet to
                              do my first run and I anticipate that I will have to crank it up
                              to "High" to get the initial temp up, then drop it doen to "Low"
                              setting and let in slowly distill. Does this match your experiences
                              with it?

                              Fizz

                            • fizzynick@yahoo.co.uk
                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 15, 2001
                                Hi Dick,

                                Soap residue is something I have considered.

                                I have given the Burco a good clean out but will expect there to be a
                                certain of of residue until the still has prodeuced a few runs
                                to "burn" out the soap.
                                I have an activated charcoal filter ready and waiting so I am hoping
                                that will sort that out.

                                Cheers

                                Fizz

                                > Just thought, back when I first started beer brewing I used
                                an old
                                > Baby Burco laundry boiler & the first few brews definitely tasted
                                of soap
                                > powder - you can get used to the flavour, but it takes a while and
                                I was
                                > broke at the time ! Maybe Tony or one of the other experts could
                                advise if
                                > active charcoal will remove the magic active ingredients that TV
                                ads tell us
                                > are in all modern soap powders.
                                > Ahhh well, back to the drawing board !!
                                > --
                                > Dick
                                > Fra' Auld Reekie
                              • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
                                Message 15 of 19 , Sep 16, 2001
                                  Dick,

                                  > I used an old
                                  > Baby Burco laundry boiler & the first few brews definitely
                                  > tasted of soap powder

                                  I haven't had the need to try carbon on soapy wash yet, but guess that it
                                  should help.

                                  Just timely to remind again that the first run with any still should be a
                                  "water only" affair, to not only check out how well all the seals are, find
                                  leaks, etc, but also to help clean out any remaining soap/grease/cleaning
                                  products etc.

                                  Tony