Re: Oldtimers, input please

  • random9988
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 8, 2004
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "shinershane"
      <shinershane@y...> wrote:
      > I got to cook inside off the stove. What I am looking at is on
      the
      > off-set design. But, I want to drop the condencer down even
      farther
      > so I can add more height to my column. I have a paint drawing here
      > http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-1/619141/ZZ.JPG might you guys
      > check it out and give some ideas on any problems I might or might
      not
      > encounter, Thanks
      >

      > SS

      That won't work I'm afraid, the condenser will be filled with
      distillate before any distillate will enter back to the column.

      But there are other ways to shorten the setup. I'm a buildoholic so
      I've tested a lot of different setups. From 10 cm packing to 150 cm.
      50 cm of packing is enough to achieve good separation if scrubbers
      are used that are evenly and very hard packed. Amphora mesh should
      would well also. I would go for a single reducer condenser with a
      double helix cooler. The cooling coil should be about 20 cm. Run the
      still at 750-1000 W

      Make the condenser first, then check how much space you have left
      for the column, use all that space.

      How much space do you have available? Have you got a boiler yet?

      Johan
    • random9988
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 8, 2004

        > That won't work I'm afraid, the condenser will be filled with
        > distillate before any distillate will enter back to the column.
        >
        > But there are other ways to shorten the setup. I'm a buildoholic
        so
        > I've tested a lot of different setups. From 10 cm packing to 150
        cm.
        > 50 cm of packing is enough to achieve good separation if scrubbers
        > are used that are evenly and very hard packed. Amphora mesh should
        > would well also. I would go for a single reducer condenser with a
        > double helix cooler. The cooling coil should be about 20 cm. Run
        the
        > still at 750-1000 W
        >
        > Make the condenser first, then check how much space you have left
        > for the column, use all that space.
        >
        > How much space do you have available? Have you got a boiler yet?
        >
        > Johan

        Ops! sorry didn't check the picture well enough, but it's not a good
        idea anyway:

        The packing needs to have reflux on it otherwise it won't do any
        good. So the packing over the return point of reflux in the picture
        won't do much good. Some vapour may condense over the return of
        reflux point if that part of the column is uninsulated but that part
        of the column will be much less efficient.

        It's better to limit the space of the condenser instead. If you want
        to you can actually have the condenser horizontal, but first of all,
        how much space is available for the still?

        Johan
      • shinershane
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 8, 2004
          horizontal! I like that. Thanks I think I will go with that. Thanks
          again Random.

          SS

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "random9988" <mugg@h...> wrote:

          > > That won't work I'm afraid, the condenser will be filled with
          > > distillate before any distillate will enter back to the column.
          > >
          > > But there are other ways to shorten the setup. I'm a buildoholic
          > so
          > > I've tested a lot of different setups. From 10 cm packing to 150
          > cm.
          > > 50 cm of packing is enough to achieve good separation if
          scrubbers
          > > are used that are evenly and very hard packed. Amphora mesh
          should
          > > would well also. I would go for a single reducer condenser with a
          > > double helix cooler. The cooling coil should be about 20 cm. Run
          > the
          > > still at 750-1000 W
          > >
          > > Make the condenser first, then check how much space you have left
          > > for the column, use all that space.
          > >
          > > How much space do you have available? Have you got a boiler yet?
          > >
          > > Johan
          >
          > Ops! sorry didn't check the picture well enough, but it's not a
          good
          > idea anyway:
          >
          > The packing needs to have reflux on it otherwise it won't do any
          > good. So the packing over the return point of reflux in the picture
          > won't do much good. Some vapour may condense over the return of
          > reflux point if that part of the column is uninsulated but that
          part
          > of the column will be much less efficient.
          >
          > It's better to limit the space of the condenser instead. If you
          want
          > to you can actually have the condenser horizontal, but first of
          all,
          > how much space is available for the still?
          >
          > Johan
        • abbababbaccc
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 8, 2004
            You need slight upwards angle (10 degrees or so), otherwise the
            reflux won't run back to column. If you won't use more than 1000W
            power you can use 2 meters of convector pipe as an air cooled
            condenser.

            Greetz, Riku

            <shinershane@y...> wrote:
            > horizontal! I like that. Thanks I think I will go with that. Thanks
            > again Random.
            >
            > SS
            >

            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "random9988" <mugg@h...>
            wrote:

            > > > That won't work I'm afraid, the condenser will be filled with
            > > > distillate before any distillate will enter back to the column.
            > > >
            > > > But there are other ways to shorten the setup. I'm a
            buildoholic
            > > so
            > > > I've tested a lot of different setups. From 10 cm packing to
            150
            > > cm.
            > > > 50 cm of packing is enough to achieve good separation if
            > scrubbers
            > > > are used that are evenly and very hard packed. Amphora mesh
            > should
            > > > would well also. I would go for a single reducer condenser with
            > > > double helix cooler. The cooling coil should be about 20 cm.
            Run
            > > the
            > > > still at 750-1000 W
            > > >
            > > > Make the condenser first, then check how much space you have
            left
            > > > for the column, use all that space.
            > > >
            > > > How much space do you have available? Have you got a boiler yet?
            > > >
            > > > Johan
            > >
            > > Ops! sorry didn't check the picture well enough, but it's not a
            > good
            > > idea anyway:
            > >
            > > The packing needs to have reflux on it otherwise it won't do any
            > > good. So the packing over the return point of reflux in the
            picture
            > > won't do much good. Some vapour may condense over the return of
            > > reflux point if that part of the column is uninsulated but that
            > part
            > > of the column will be much less efficient.
            > >
            > > It's better to limit the space of the condenser instead. If you
            > want
            > > to you can actually have the condenser horizontal, but first of
            > all,
            > > how much space is available for the still?
            > >
            > > Johan
          • random9988
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 9, 2004
              > You need slight upwards angle (10 degrees or so), otherwise the
              > reflux won't run back to column. If you won't use more than 1000W
              > power you can use 2 meters of convector pipe as an air cooled
              > condenser.
              >
              > Greetz, Riku

              A horizontal shotgun would be nice, it's possible to use small size
              tubes without flooding problems, collect liquid at the other end
              (vapour and liquid the same direction), returning some via
              needlevalve and collect overflow as product.

              Or leibig the same way

              Johan