Oldtimers, input please

  • shinershane
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 7, 2004
      I got to cook inside off the stove. What I am looking at is on the
      off-set design. But, I want to drop the condencer down even farther
      so I can add more height to my column. I have a paint drawing here
      http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-1/619141/ZZ.JPG might you guys
      check it out and give some ideas on any problems I might or might not
      encounter, Thanks

      SS
    • random9988
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 8, 2004
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "shinershane"
        <shinershane@y...> wrote:
        > I got to cook inside off the stove. What I am looking at is on
        the
        > off-set design. But, I want to drop the condencer down even
        farther
        > so I can add more height to my column. I have a paint drawing here
        > http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-1/619141/ZZ.JPG might you guys
        > check it out and give some ideas on any problems I might or might
        not
        > encounter, Thanks
        >

        > SS

        That won't work I'm afraid, the condenser will be filled with
        distillate before any distillate will enter back to the column.

        But there are other ways to shorten the setup. I'm a buildoholic so
        I've tested a lot of different setups. From 10 cm packing to 150 cm.
        50 cm of packing is enough to achieve good separation if scrubbers
        are used that are evenly and very hard packed. Amphora mesh should
        would well also. I would go for a single reducer condenser with a
        double helix cooler. The cooling coil should be about 20 cm. Run the
        still at 750-1000 W

        Make the condenser first, then check how much space you have left
        for the column, use all that space.

        How much space do you have available? Have you got a boiler yet?

        Johan
      • random9988
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 8, 2004

          > That won't work I'm afraid, the condenser will be filled with
          > distillate before any distillate will enter back to the column.
          >
          > But there are other ways to shorten the setup. I'm a buildoholic
          so
          > I've tested a lot of different setups. From 10 cm packing to 150
          cm.
          > 50 cm of packing is enough to achieve good separation if scrubbers
          > are used that are evenly and very hard packed. Amphora mesh should
          > would well also. I would go for a single reducer condenser with a
          > double helix cooler. The cooling coil should be about 20 cm. Run
          the
          > still at 750-1000 W
          >
          > Make the condenser first, then check how much space you have left
          > for the column, use all that space.
          >
          > How much space do you have available? Have you got a boiler yet?
          >
          > Johan

          Ops! sorry didn't check the picture well enough, but it's not a good
          idea anyway:

          The packing needs to have reflux on it otherwise it won't do any
          good. So the packing over the return point of reflux in the picture
          won't do much good. Some vapour may condense over the return of
          reflux point if that part of the column is uninsulated but that part
          of the column will be much less efficient.

          It's better to limit the space of the condenser instead. If you want
          to you can actually have the condenser horizontal, but first of all,
          how much space is available for the still?

          Johan
        • shinershane
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 8, 2004
            horizontal! I like that. Thanks I think I will go with that. Thanks
            again Random.

            SS

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "random9988" <mugg@h...> wrote:

            > > That won't work I'm afraid, the condenser will be filled with
            > > distillate before any distillate will enter back to the column.
            > >
            > > But there are other ways to shorten the setup. I'm a buildoholic
            > so
            > > I've tested a lot of different setups. From 10 cm packing to 150
            > cm.
            > > 50 cm of packing is enough to achieve good separation if
            scrubbers
            > > are used that are evenly and very hard packed. Amphora mesh
            should
            > > would well also. I would go for a single reducer condenser with a
            > > double helix cooler. The cooling coil should be about 20 cm. Run
            > the
            > > still at 750-1000 W
            > >
            > > Make the condenser first, then check how much space you have left
            > > for the column, use all that space.
            > >
            > > How much space do you have available? Have you got a boiler yet?
            > >
            > > Johan
            >
            > Ops! sorry didn't check the picture well enough, but it's not a
            good
            > idea anyway:
            >
            > The packing needs to have reflux on it otherwise it won't do any
            > good. So the packing over the return point of reflux in the picture
            > won't do much good. Some vapour may condense over the return of
            > reflux point if that part of the column is uninsulated but that
            part
            > of the column will be much less efficient.
            >
            > It's better to limit the space of the condenser instead. If you
            want
            > to you can actually have the condenser horizontal, but first of
            all,
            > how much space is available for the still?
            >
            > Johan
          • abbababbaccc
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 8, 2004
              You need slight upwards angle (10 degrees or so), otherwise the
              reflux won't run back to column. If you won't use more than 1000W
              power you can use 2 meters of convector pipe as an air cooled
              condenser.

              Greetz, Riku

              <shinershane@y...> wrote:
              > horizontal! I like that. Thanks I think I will go with that. Thanks
              > again Random.
              >
              > SS
              >

              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "random9988" <mugg@h...>
              wrote:

              > > > That won't work I'm afraid, the condenser will be filled with
              > > > distillate before any distillate will enter back to the column.
              > > >
              > > > But there are other ways to shorten the setup. I'm a
              buildoholic
              > > so
              > > > I've tested a lot of different setups. From 10 cm packing to
              150
              > > cm.
              > > > 50 cm of packing is enough to achieve good separation if
              > scrubbers
              > > > are used that are evenly and very hard packed. Amphora mesh
              > should
              > > > would well also. I would go for a single reducer condenser with
              > > > double helix cooler. The cooling coil should be about 20 cm.
              Run
              > > the
              > > > still at 750-1000 W
              > > >
              > > > Make the condenser first, then check how much space you have
              left
              > > > for the column, use all that space.
              > > >
              > > > How much space do you have available? Have you got a boiler yet?
              > > >
              > > > Johan
              > >
              > > Ops! sorry didn't check the picture well enough, but it's not a
              > good
              > > idea anyway:
              > >
              > > The packing needs to have reflux on it otherwise it won't do any
              > > good. So the packing over the return point of reflux in the
              picture
              > > won't do much good. Some vapour may condense over the return of
              > > reflux point if that part of the column is uninsulated but that
              > part
              > > of the column will be much less efficient.
              > >
              > > It's better to limit the space of the condenser instead. If you
              > want
              > > to you can actually have the condenser horizontal, but first of
              > all,
              > > how much space is available for the still?
              > >
              > > Johan
            • random9988
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 9, 2004
                > You need slight upwards angle (10 degrees or so), otherwise the
                > reflux won't run back to column. If you won't use more than 1000W
                > power you can use 2 meters of convector pipe as an air cooled
                > condenser.
                >
                > Greetz, Riku

                A horizontal shotgun would be nice, it's possible to use small size
                tubes without flooding problems, collect liquid at the other end
                (vapour and liquid the same direction), returning some via
                needlevalve and collect overflow as product.

                Or leibig the same way

                Johan