pot for still

  • Michael Spottswood
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 7, 2001
      Hello all:
      It's Mike again. I just built a reflux column and I can't find a suitable
      pot. If one is unattainable, would it be possible to remotely mount the
      column and feed it with a piece of flexable copper tubing from the boiler?
      I am trying like heck to make a go of this so any comments would be
      appreciated.
      Thanks
      Mike
      mikespotts@...

    • Tony & Elle Ackland
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 7, 2001
        Mike,

        > It's Mike again. I just built a reflux column and I can't find a
        suitable
        > pot. If one is unattainable, would it be possible to remotely mount the
        > column and feed it with a piece of flexable copper tubing from the
        boiler?
        > I am trying like heck to make a go of this so any comments would be
        > appreciated.

        Its a common technique done on industrial distillation columns. The trick
        will be to ensure that the reflux can still return to the pot too after its
        finished trickling down the column - eg have the flexible on an angle, not
        with a sag in it or suchlike.

        Tony
      • Tony & Elle Ackland
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 7, 2001
          > Any suggestions of
          > where to look for such a beast?

          considered using a keg, or a hot water cylinder, or a coffee urn ?

          Tony
        • Big Kahuna
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 7, 2001
            I keep seeing requests for where to get a suitable boiler. Look in your
            yellow pages for " Metal recyclers". It may take a few visits but eventually
            you will find what you need for cheap. Phone and ask them if they have
            anything you need in stainless. Like beer kegs, industrial floor machines
            are usually made out of stainless and like Tony said , coffee urns. Check
            with your local dairy. All of their equipment is stainless too. If all else
            fails, look again in your phone book for manufacturers of brewing eqipment.
            One trip to thier factory will blow your mind and your wallet if your not
            careful. Maybe they'll let you look through their scrap pile. The makers of
            brewing vats have every concievable piece you could ever want but they carry
            a hefty price tag. On Vancouver Island BC Canada, it seems that every where
            I look I see stainless pots for boilers. Also some nurserys have stainless
            tanks fo rholding water but these are usually 100 gallons or more. Last but
            not least, a metal fabricating shop can make it up to your order. But again
            you will be paying top dollar.

            Tony, I havent forgotten your request fo rmore details. I'll do it in the
            next day or two.

            BK

            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 8, 2001
              If you live in the U.S. try looking in the yellow pages under barrels or
              drums- call a few places- they typically have 5-20 gallon stainless steel
              food grade drums with heavy lids. Just say you plan on using it for wine
              making- it'll work. Most of these containers can handle 40 pounds of pressure
              per square inch. That makes them safe enough for distilling.
            • janpam ooms
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 9, 2001
                If you live in Brisbane and want a fairly heavy gauge stainless container
                with a clip on lid that seals properly,you have to try VISYPACK/RHEEM.They
                are situated at BULIMBA and make these containers in every size from 10 to
                200 litres.A metal spinner will put a nice bulge in the lid so you can mount
                the tower quite safely as the material is a lot thicker than the KIWI
                version.If anyone is interested i can publish their phone number and the
                person to contact if he allows me to do this.
                Regards. Jan.
                >From: Tony & Elle Ackland <Tony.Ackland@...>
                >To: 'New Distillers newsgroup' <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>
                >Subject: RE: [new_distillers] pot for still
                >Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2001 17:58:05 +1200
                >
                > > Any suggestions of
                > > where to look for such a beast?
                >
                >considered using a keg, or a hot water cylinder, or a coffee urn ?
                >
                >Tony

              • Francis Graham
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 12, 2001
                  Mike,
                  If you have a reasonably big coloumn (1 metre or
                  longer),try a stainless steel keg, it will take a full
                  or double size standard wash from your fermenter,&
                  gives a very stable base for your fermenter. if you
                  need a good mount for your keg , a spare wheel from
                  your car will quite often accomodate it quite well.
                  Depending on the brand of keg you use, you may have to
                  adapt your still head in a number of different ways.
                  If it has a protruding threaded neck you could use 4
                  eyebolts through the neck & a flat base on your head
                  with 4 holes to accomodate 4 screws which are inserted
                  through the eyebolts &then through the holes in the
                  base,or something similar.If you look @ the kiwi
                  distillers site photos of setups you will see many
                  more ways of mounting different types of kegs.To heat
                  it ,use an ordinary element from a hot water system.

                  http://travel.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Travel
                  - Got Itchy feet? Get inspired!
                • Michael Spottswood
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 12, 2001
                    Thanks for the ideas everyone. However, I am trying to keep this project
                    low cost for it is my first of its kind. I can get a stainless milk can
                    with a lid for $110.00 with shipping from New York to Kansas. I was hoping
                    to do it for about half of that. Unfortunately, it looks like this may be
                    my only option. All of the kegs I find are aluminum and I am not savvy
                    enough to cut a lid and reattach it securely. I am in a bit of a jam. The
                    reflux column is 36 inches high and weighs 15 lbs. I need a big pot to
                    support it. Anything else would be appreciated, and thanks to all those who
                    have helped already.
                    Mike

                  • al lewis
                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 12, 2001
                      Hi, whats the fasination with stainless steel appart from the cost?
                      If your experimenting. I sugest you go to your nearest wine merchat
                      supplier and get a 5 1/2 gallon plastic bucket and lid off him.
                      I have used one with an old kettle element fitted in through the wall
                      with great satisfaction.
                      You you like what you see, why spend all your hardnd earned $$$$
                      on something that looks beautiful but only does the same job. al

                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 13, 2001
                        I'd agree with that comment regarding cost.

                        As a first time distiller, I have managed to make up what can only be
                        described as "The biggest hunk of junk" ever to be called a still.

                        As my main reason for wanting to distill is not as a hobby but from
                        extreme financial hardship I have had to throw together a still out
                        of pieces of junk I found lying around my garage and garden.

                        My Pot (if you can call it that) is made up of an old... and I mean
                        OLD boiler. The piping, reflux and condensor are made from a hotch-
                        potch of recycled copper tubing from old plumbing, HDPE Plastic Waste
                        Pipe pushfit connectors and old garden hose.

                        It sounds like crap, It might look light crap, it probably is crap.

                        Total cost of the build? £20.00

                        If it works (not tested yet, maybe in a couple of days when I pluck
                        up courage) and I don't manage to kill myself I'll let you all know
                        how I get on.

                        Fizz
                      • sallypointer@yahoo.co.uk
                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 13, 2001
                          --- In new_distillers@y..., fizzynick@y... wrote:
                          > I'd agree with that comment regarding cost.
                          >
                          > As a first time distiller, I have managed to make up what can only
                          be
                          > described as "The biggest hunk of junk" ever to be called a still.
                          >
                          > As my main reason for wanting to distill is not as a hobby but from
                          > extreme financial hardship I have had to throw together a still out
                          > of pieces of junk I found lying around my garage and garden.
                          >
                          > My Pot (if you can call it that) is made up of an old... and I mean
                          > OLD boiler. The piping, reflux and condensor are made from a hotch-
                          > potch of recycled copper tubing from old plumbing, HDPE Plastic
                          Waste
                          > Pipe pushfit connectors and old garden hose.
                          >
                          > It sounds like crap, It might look light crap, it probably is crap.
                          >
                          > Total cost of the build? £20.00
                          >
                          > If it works (not tested yet, maybe in a couple of days when I pluck
                          > up courage) and I don't manage to kill myself I'll let you all know
                          > how I get on.
                          >
                          > Fizz

                          Ours isnt a reflux still but still gives excellent results. Its a pot
                          still made from a pressure cooker (£2 at car boot sale- brand new) a
                          coil of 15mm copper tubing (£10 B&Q) and a few inches of plastic
                          tubing as a connector. The thermometer (£2 sugar/cake shop)goes where
                          the pressure seal was and the whole set up came to less than £15-
                          give top notch results every time as long as you carefully monitor
                          the temperature.
                          Long live economy!
                          Sally
                        • Brian Bashford
                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 13, 2001
                            Hi Fizz,
                               As a fellow enthusiast in the UK I'll be interested to hear how it pans out. When you say "boiler" could you be more specific. The word conjures up several possibilities especially as you emphasise the "old " bit.

                                   Good Luck,
                                     Brian B.
[...]

                          • Dick
                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 14, 2001
                              > Hi Fizz,
                              >    As a fellow enthusiast in the UK I'll be interested to hear how it pans
                              > out. When you say "boiler" could you be more specific. The word
                              > conjures up several possibilities especially as you emphasise the "old "
                              > bit.

                              Just thought, back when I first started beer brewing I used an old
                              Baby Burco laundry boiler & the first few brews definitely tasted of soap
                              powder - you can get used to the flavour, but it takes a while and I was
                              broke at the time ! Maybe Tony or one of the other experts could advise if
                              active charcoal will remove the magic active ingredients that TV ads tell us
                              are in all modern soap powders.
                              Ahhh well, back to the drawing board !!
                              --
                              Dick
                              Fra' Auld Reekie
                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 14, 2001
                                Hi Brian,

                                The old boiler (no, not the wife, the OTHER one ;) is made by Burco.
                                It holds about 5 Gallons and is made from aluminium. It also has an
                                aluminium lid, a drain off tap and a controller (Off, Low and High)
                                for six heater elements.

                                It boils up a gallon of cold tap water in under 15 minutes when on
                                High setting and simmers nicely on Low setting.

                                I remember my Grandmother had one of these which she used to boil up
                                the washing one day and Ham Joints the next. I prefer my intended
                                use, though.

                                Regards

                                Fizz
                              • al lewis
                                Message 15 of 19 , Sep 14, 2001
                                  Regarding the Burco boiler, I used one but absentmindedly forgot to empty
                                  after boil off. Result a holy burco. Please empty as soon as you
                                  are finished or you will have the same result. Going from that I guess some
                                  aluminium is been added into the brew all the time :(.
                                  I also have a picture of prisoners in the Kesh [jail] in Northern
                                  Ireland using one !!!
                                  take care ,al

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Sep 15, 2001
                                    Hi Al,

                                    Thanks for the tip. I will keep it in mind.
                                    Did you find that the Burco performed as you expected. I have yet to
                                    do my first run and I anticipate that I will have to crank it up
                                    to "High" to get the initial temp up, then drop it doen to "Low"
                                    setting and let in slowly distill. Does this match your experiences
                                    with it?

                                    Fizz

                                  • fizzynick@yahoo.co.uk
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Sep 15, 2001
                                      Hi Dick,

                                      Soap residue is something I have considered.

                                      I have given the Burco a good clean out but will expect there to be a
                                      certain of of residue until the still has prodeuced a few runs
                                      to "burn" out the soap.
                                      I have an activated charcoal filter ready and waiting so I am hoping
                                      that will sort that out.

                                      Cheers

                                      Fizz

                                      > Just thought, back when I first started beer brewing I used
                                      an old
                                      > Baby Burco laundry boiler & the first few brews definitely tasted
                                      of soap
                                      > powder - you can get used to the flavour, but it takes a while and
                                      I was
                                      > broke at the time ! Maybe Tony or one of the other experts could
                                      advise if
                                      > active charcoal will remove the magic active ingredients that TV
                                      ads tell us
                                      > are in all modern soap powders.
                                      > Ahhh well, back to the drawing board !!
                                      > --
                                      > Dick
                                      > Fra' Auld Reekie
                                    • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Sep 16, 2001
                                        Dick,

                                        > I used an old
                                        > Baby Burco laundry boiler & the first few brews definitely
                                        > tasted of soap powder

                                        I haven't had the need to try carbon on soapy wash yet, but guess that it
                                        should help.

                                        Just timely to remind again that the first run with any still should be a
                                        "water only" affair, to not only check out how well all the seals are, find
                                        leaks, etc, but also to help clean out any remaining soap/grease/cleaning
                                        products etc.

                                        Tony