Re: Chlorinated Water

  • Brain Solenoid
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 3, 2004
      > Greetings all,
      > Another source of chemically untainted water could possibly be the
      condensation drain that you see on a lot of air conditioning units,
      on the some of the bigger units it runs at a fair rate of knots so
      collecting it wouldn't take long at all and techically it
      is "distilled" water.

      > my two cents worth (plus GST)

      I'm not sure I would do that, myself. Here in the U.S. during the
      1970's a lot of folks contracted a "mystery disease" at a Legionares
      re-union on the east coast. Many of them, being very old and having
      lower immune systems, died from this illness.

      It was later found that this Legionares Disease, as it was dubbed,
      was caused by a new breed of bacteria that had evolved to survive in
      the swamp coolers used for air conditioning in larger buildings. I
      believe it's a cousin to the Aspergillus (sp?) strains (one of
      their "safe" varients creates Koji, which is used in Saki production).

      Since air conditioning evaporator coils have all sorts of little
      nooks and crannies, I would doubt that anything we could apply would
      be able to sanitize it enough to make it safe.

      I tried to distill my own water, albiet naively, thinking I would get
      the chlorine and other gunk out of it. My water actually tasted
      WORSE that when I started because I was condensing things that were
      volatiles in the water (and garden hose) I was using.
      I think when they distill water, they start with non-chlorinated and
      filtered water.

      Regards,
      BS
    • Austin Smith
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 3, 2004
        The Kenmore will distill tap water into a pure, rainwater tasting, pure product. It does use a charcoal filter, however. I'd also suggest not examining the boiler too closely, lest you see what was in the water before it was distilled (mine looks like grey mud).