Re: [new_distillers] Re: Chlorinated Water

  • Austin Smith
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 3, 2004
      I've got a Kenmore that seems to work very well. I've run a brown sugar wash through it, as well as a gallon of table wine. I need to modify the still somewhat, to bypass the interlock on the receiving vessel. This interlock makes it somewhat iffy to remove heads.

    • Brain Solenoid
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 3, 2004
        > Greetings all,
        > Another source of chemically untainted water could possibly be the
        condensation drain that you see on a lot of air conditioning units,
        on the some of the bigger units it runs at a fair rate of knots so
        collecting it wouldn't take long at all and techically it
        is "distilled" water.

        > my two cents worth (plus GST)

        I'm not sure I would do that, myself. Here in the U.S. during the
        1970's a lot of folks contracted a "mystery disease" at a Legionares
        re-union on the east coast. Many of them, being very old and having
        lower immune systems, died from this illness.

        It was later found that this Legionares Disease, as it was dubbed,
        was caused by a new breed of bacteria that had evolved to survive in
        the swamp coolers used for air conditioning in larger buildings. I
        believe it's a cousin to the Aspergillus (sp?) strains (one of
        their "safe" varients creates Koji, which is used in Saki production).

        Since air conditioning evaporator coils have all sorts of little
        nooks and crannies, I would doubt that anything we could apply would
        be able to sanitize it enough to make it safe.

        I tried to distill my own water, albiet naively, thinking I would get
        the chlorine and other gunk out of it. My water actually tasted
        WORSE that when I started because I was condensing things that were
        volatiles in the water (and garden hose) I was using.
        I think when they distill water, they start with non-chlorinated and
        filtered water.

        Regards,
        BS
      • Austin Smith
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 3, 2004
          The Kenmore will distill tap water into a pure, rainwater tasting, pure product. It does use a charcoal filter, however. I'd also suggest not examining the boiler too closely, lest you see what was in the water before it was distilled (mine looks like grey mud).